kaydennicholson

Ported or sealed for 2 Q12s

Already have a ported box for the sis as I built it last week with the purchase of these subs in mind, but just read the pinned thread about the Qs. I listen to everything from avenged sevenfold to maroon 5 to jack Johnson to lil Wayne and kirko bangz. So I really am

Looking for a setup that "does it all" and sounds good while doing it. A lot of music other than rap spuds muddy and sloppy on my current RE SeX 12s (prefab and custom enclosures) and just haven't been happy with the sound. Everything kind of runs together. With that being said, how will I like these subs? Current box is at 33 hz with approx 1.9 cubes per sub in the trunk; subs up, port facing forward on the drivers side in a 2010 Malibu. Will be ran off of 2400 watts to the pair, potentially adding another 2400 in the later future. Should I make a sealed box instead or what?

Also want to be able to make them LOUD.

Have the factory head unit and will be putting Ina skar component set and skar 6x9s to give me some wonderful midbass and great highs

I'd say try different boxes for the 12s like both the subs and port facing back. A well designed ported box is better than a sealed.

Are you joking about the skars being wonderful? Haha

Wait, have you tried the subs in the box already? Or are you saying the re was like that? Try the Qs in the box you have and see how they are. That's the only way you'll know if it sounds good or not.

Edited by Bassink

Th malibus trunk is so small that the biggest box I can fit in through the trunk is about 30 in wide, 14.5 in tall and 17.5 deep. Made a big box that fits through my back seats but the height restriction is my only issue there. Even taking the back seats completely out I have hardly 12.5 in of clearance. Taking into considering the top and bottom sheets of Mdf, that's roughly 11 in for the drivers, heightwise, in the trunk... /-:

And what's so bad about the skars? I've only heard good things about them and I can get the whole component set and 6x9s for about 150 shipped from a buddy of mine. And no I haven't heard them yet/-: any other suggestions for those as well (around that price range)

Forget the rear 6x9 speakers. You will not be able to hear them through your subs !!!
That would leave you some more money for a decent component set for your fronts, and maybe some deadening product for the doors.

You may like Skar, but after what I've read about this brand, I would not buy their products. But it's just my personnal opinion. Do what you want !

For the subs, try them in as many boxes you can ! If you already have a ported box for your, car try them in first.

They will sound good in a sealed box, but they will also be louder in a ported one.

I don't want to run sealed boxes again, since I know how to get well designed ported boxes now ! :)   :) 

You dont have enough space to do ported unless you go bigger. With those measurements if you use Q 12's then order high QTS and do the box sealed

14.5 high

30in wide

16.5 deep

(Outside dimensions with a double baffle if you want, Brace top to bottom in the center) Not sure why you only have 17in depth?

This gives you 3cu ft internally. Fire the subs to the rear. If I was building a ported box for 2 Q 12's I would shoot for 5cu net.

NO way your current ported box has 4cu ft plus port unless its way bigger than your measurements

Edited by swift

The current box I have back there is about 36 wide, 26 in deep and 11 inches tall. So I have roughly 4 ft total after displacement, bracing and port. Ill try them in there, I would like a ported box and I know these subs ask for quite a bit (cubic ft/sub). I've heard nothing but good about these subs as far as sound quality. How much of a difference would it be to drop them in a sealed box vs the box I have? Volume and quality wise?

I have doubts your current "prefab box" has correct port area and the also placement is not good for a trunk setup. I have no idea how a well built sealed box compared to your current box will sound. But I know that a well built ported box with correct port area and sub placement would be no comparison in loudness, sound quality is a personal preference. I know guys that swear by sealed until they hear a good ported setup and they never go back. 

The high or low QTS option on the subs and the space you will allow to be used should be taken into heavy consideration. Seems you need to think about it more, your "Max dimensions" dont seem to be max at all since your current box is way bigger, lol.

That is way too small bro. Minimum I would recommend is 2.2 cubic feet per chamber. 2.5 would be optimum

Yea sucks for the tight space back there. Like what swift said, your dimensions are too small. Maybe try port back and subs up so reverse box. That would probably work better. If not you might have to resort back to a sealed.

the prefab box was like 1.1 cube per sub and that had to go asap. i built the current box and ill have to remeasure but according to torres box calc i had about 3.9 per chamber. the max dimensions are sliding through the trunk, allowing enough height to fire them to the rear (or front) as the angle the box slides in limits the depth and height and the trunk opening size limits the width as well. so would you all reccomend just dropping them in a sealed box as i would be able to get it to sealed box size and be able to fire them facing the back? I havent ordered them yet and the subs that sound muddy and sloppy are the RE SeX 12s. my current box takes up my entire trunk leaving me about an extra 15 inches for room to mount the amp rack. 2.2 cubes per chamber (if firing upward is the only option for this) will be very difficult, 2.5 cubes wont be possible. being as though the subs would have to be fired upward, would i get better output anyways with a sealed box as i would be able to fire them to the rear? will i be okay putting them in a sealed box with the low QTS option if the ported box doesnt work out? =/ this sucks.....

I would just play it safe and order with high qts and throw them in a sealed box. It just doesn't seem like it's going to work with the ported and those subs. Sealed box facing back is what I would do.

I gave you the exact measurements and what space it would give for the sealed box above. Fire the subs to the rear in whichever you decide. You have the height to do that.

You dont have enough space to do ported unless you go bigger. With those measurements if you use Q 12's then order high QTS and do the box sealed

14.5 high

30in wide

16.5 deep

(Outside dimensions with a double baffle if you want, Brace top to bottom in the center) Not sure why you only have 17in depth?

This gives you 3cu ft internally. Fire the subs to the rear. If I was building a ported box for 2 Q 12's I would shoot for 5cu net.

NO way your current ported box has 4cu ft plus port unless its way bigger than your measurements

I gave you the exact measurements and what space it would give for the sealed box above. Fire the subs to the rear in whichever you decide. You have the height to do that.

Oops I apologize Swift, must have missed that the first time going down the thread. Thank you for the dimensions and would having two face boards make much of a difference? or just sturdy up the box? and would they handle 4800 watts in the future (getting cooling, P Chamfer, high QTS) in this sealed box? Also, is there any other options that would be strongly recommended? will be ordering the subs tonight.

Oops I apologize Swift, must have missed that the first time going down the thread. Thank you for the dimensions and would having two face boards make much of a difference? or just sturdy up the box? and would they handle 4800 watts in the future (getting cooling, P Chamfer, high QTS) in this sealed box? Also, is there any other options that would be strongly recommended? will be ordering the subs tonight.

The stronger the box the better, I would do a double baffle even if it was to flush mount the subs. If you do not double baffle then at least do a window brace in the middle so all 4 sides (top bottom front back) are braced. Even though its just a sealed box, the stronger the better.

No matter what options you choose I would not throw 4800 watts to those subs! The will do just fine on 3000-3500 watts total. And I would get them fully loaded with all options available just because.

Edited by swift

14.5 high

30in wide

16.5 deep

those dimensions give me 2.9 cubes after woofer displacement, and before bracing. should i do corner bracing as well as the center brace from top to bottom?

15 for the height would give me 3.02 before bracing so that would put me about on target, correct?

Edited by kaydennicholson