Sign in to follow this  
disturbeddrummer254

Help on a box for 2 SSA zcon 18's in GMC ext truck

I am planing on getting SSA 2 Zcon 18's and a Crescendo 3500d next week. I have a 98' GMC ext cab truck. What type of set up is best in my vehicle? wall? ported box with subs up? subs forward?... need some advice..

I would suggesting a wall. Have sub and port forward. Having port behind a seat going up/down would sometimes yield loudest spl numbers usually.

I would suggesting a wall. Have sub and port forward. Having port behind a seat going up/down would sometimes yield loudest spl numbers usually.

I would definitely +1 this, but add that after seeing a single 15" take the 5500 I would say definitely step up the power from the 3500 to the 5500 and these will slam.

yea ive heard that SSA is really underreated. i might go with an amp on each sub  that puts out 2500- 3000w rms or so each. And a wall with just two 18's? ok

Yah a wall would be fine. Like Sencheezy said. I would either do port on drivers side vertical or port up top horizontal.

I would definitely +1 this, but add that after seeing a single 15" take the 5500 I would say definitely step up the power from the 3500 to the 5500 and these will slam.

Hey Terric, really quick man, its not so wise to go telling everybody how much this person or that person can put to a certain subwoofer. At the end of the day, it actually cause more harm than good. Because the end user will listen to people on the forums, listen to what they see on youtube, and will try it themselves and many times end up having failed equipment, and which can come back to bite SSA or whomever in the ass. "Oh, well I seen this one guy put 5000 watts to a zcon, so I can too.". No, this is not what we want to spread. For many reasons, main one being, not everyone has the same experience, many people don't know what signs to look for, or how much is too much, etc. Then theres the whole thing about cost, and the electric systems needed for said system. Its just a whole bad of worm that IMHO should just be avoided all together.

yea ive heard that SSA is really underreated. i might go with an amp on each sub  that puts out 2500- 3000w rms or so each. And a wall with just two 18's? ok

SSA is not "underrated", they have published power handling that a true and are not used as a selling gimic. They are provided for a reason and are givin for subwoofer longjevity, along with other reasons. Any subwoofer can be "underated", but is Completely install and experience dependent. They are many reasons beyond power handling means to go with a more powerful amplifier. Less stress, more unclipped power, which means happier subwoofer(s), cooler operating temps, etc...

I would suggest yes, something like two 3500s would be a good match for 2 18"s zcons and placed in a wall as mentioned before. But be sure you have a stout electrical to back it up. Big 3, big power/ground cable, big alternator, decent battery bank, the works. After you calculate how much money it takes to operate such a system, you may want to take these things into considereation prior to making such a big decision.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Hey Terric, really quick man, its not so wise to go telling everybody how much this person or that person can put to a certain subwoofer. At the end of the day, it actually cause more harm than good. Because the end user will listen to people on the forums, listen to what they see on youtube, and will try it themselves and many times end up having failed equipment, and which can come back to bite SSA or whomever in the ass. "Oh, well I seen this one guy put 5000 watts to a zcon, so I can too.". No, this is not what we want to spread. For many reasons, main one being, not everyone has the same experience, many people don't know what signs to look for, or how much is too much, etc. Then theres the whole thing about cost, and the electric systems needed for said system. Its just a whole bad of worm that IMHO should just be avoided all together.

>yea ive heard that SSA is really underreated. i might go with an amp on each sub  that puts out 2500- 3000w rms or so each. And a wall with just two 18's? ok

SSA is not "underrated", they have published power handling that a true and are not used as a selling gimic. They are provided for a reason and are givin for subwoofer longjevity, along with other reasons. Any subwoofer can be "underated", but is Completely install and experience dependent. They are many reasons beyond power handling means to go with a more powerful amplifier. Less stress, more unclipped power, which means happier subwoofer(s), cooler operating temps, etc...

I would suggest yes, something like two 3500s would be a good match for 2 18"s zcons and placed in a wall as mentioned before. But be sure you have a stout electrical to back it up. Big 3, big power/ground cable, big alternator, decent battery bank, the works. After you calculate how much money it takes to operate such a system, you may want to take these things into considereation prior to making such a big decision.

Good luck and keep us updated!

I wasn't promoting to put 1 5500 per sub. I was stating to put 1 amp on both subs. I don't want him burning through the spider with his tensil leads or anything ya know. I've had my fair share of blowing stuff and learning lessons. I guess I should have added that you are definitely a 1 in few case that has been able to get by without your sub exploding out your box and causing a fire.

So to add to the warning. Do not run a single 5500 per zcon else you could do some of the following.

1.) Overheat the tensils and burn through spider landing. ( Recent 4th order thread )

2.) Melt/Unravel coil.

3.) Jump Gap on low end high excursion frequency songs 

4.) Blow dust caps off

5.) Etc..

All of these could also lead to other issues within your system which I will not get in to.

I will add that I have recently blew out 3 18" Obsidian's from running them clipped to hell on 2 AQ2200's so I have had a recent loss

Truth be told if you are spending this much money to begin with on new subs you definitely should do as much research as possible because Sencheezys ability to run a single 5500 to his zcon isn't common practice and you will be voiding warranty if you overpower the crap out of them. Just like I voided my warranty by strapping my two AQ's together running to 1800 watt subs.