Sign in to follow this  
disturbeddrummer254

Hifonics brutus amps any good?

I was thinking of getting 2 SSA  Zcon 18's.. im tring to keep a budget, so for now i was gonna run a Hifonics Brutus 2400.1 on each sub until i can afford better amps...The are supposedly CEA certified.. any thoughts???? Are they worth a crap?

IMO no... whats your budget for over all amps...

used is the way to go on a budget.. you can find a very nice high power amp for that budget...

CEA rated doesn't mean crap.

I dunno I don't think the brutus line is bad for a budget amp.  But I do agree I'd rather get something of higher quality used instead.  I picked up a Sundown SAZ 2000 for $300 last summer.  You just have to be patient and find the right deal.

caco, SSA forsale, ebay..... CL  some times. depending where you are.. i  recently sold a SAZ 4500 D for 800.. i would have taken 750.. just have to find them... take your time dont be haisty

Used would be the best for a budget, but IMO the Brutus line really isn't a bad amp at all. Plus you have the security of a warranty. If I only had $600 and wanted something new to go with my new subs I would buy them.

but the warrenty  repair shop is CIA ... and i would rather eat a pistol then deal with them

They are good bang for buck but i wouldn't go with them. If you are going to have a high end setup you need a high end amplifier

There is currently an AA 5K over on caco going for 725 i think you might be able to swing a little lower on. The downside is getting another one later on as these were extremely limited.

Hifonics rates the brz @ 14v so the numbers reported are a little off

However they are clean sounding and handle loudness well

IMO they poo on everything bestbuy has

Ive lurked alot of forums and have never read about someone

who runs brz's and is unsatisfied

Ive never seen a bad clamp report from any brz

Ive had one of my brz1200 for 3 years

in that 3years time i tried running it @ .5ohm on walmart wires 

(ground end burnt, amp protected)

I played it at FULL gain for a year before I learned about square waves

I turned it on once not knowing it was full of water (the led blinked, protected)

My trunk had leaked

Im now running two brz1200 on 4 12's

Most people who have bad things to say about hifonics/brz

have never ran them before

The brz is known to be very power hungry

I have 3 optimas to power (2) brz1200

If i were you I would get a hifonics colossus instead of buying (2) brz2400 (save $)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_32990_Hifonics-Colossus.html

It can be bridged @ 3200 watts

and has a nice clipping indicator  (for what its worth)

I used several Hifonics amps, older Brutus, Zeus and Titan series amps on some older builds of mine and a friends.  I was never real impressed with them.  For someone on a budget that's not overly worried about the best and cleanest signal reproduction and who's not trying to get crazy I think they can do fine.  I sold my Zeus (ZXi6006) and Brutus (BXi2006D amps to a co-worker for his son's truck and they're still working just fine.

Like I said, for a person on a budget who's not trying to win big in competitions or shooting for the stars they'll be okay.  I just know I won't be using any again myself.

do you know anywhere i can get a used amps?

Www.Db-r.com sells refurbished sundown amps comes with a year warranty I believe.