tbear55

problems with new fi ssd subs!!!!

Double post fail

Edited by ChILL

Why did you even box them up? Do you know that they are blown? No offense but you definitely don't sound like someone with 20 years of experience. 

If you wire the coils out of phase, you will still measure the proper DCR, phase relation won't change this.

If the subwoofers had motors that were knocked out of alignment during shipping, you would have noticed this initially if you know you are doing, this is part of inspecting mail order items for damage.

If the cone can move back and forth when you push on it slightly the motor is more than likely fine.  Normally, you can lightly press on each quadrant of the outer cone edge (0°, 90°, 180°, 270°) and see if rub is felt/heard with similar pressure.  If one quadrant really scrapes easily before another, the coil and motor are out of alignment.  Be careful doing this and don't ruin the soft parts...

Good luck...

the only way a sub cannot move down manually is if it's FIXED in the UPWARD motion.

This would prevent the former from falling back in the gap.

And trust me, anyone would know what that would look like and be extremely abnormal looking.

you should hope that you made a mistake in wiring as that is the easiest solution

dont get butthurt because people suggest that

I dont have anywhere near 20 years experience but everyone makes mistakes

if all you smelt was a little burning and turned them off they might be ok

that couldve just been some glue you really have 2 hammer those fi's 2 blow them

unless your fully set on shipping them back try hooking just one up

why not mess with them while your waiting for a response from fi?

You know, it doesn't matter how long you've done this if you don't ask questions about products your not familiar with then your not very smart. Competitions have changed a lot since I last done them. No one knows everything. You need to ask questions everyday so we can all learn. If you know so much then why aren't you hosting your own show or have your own blog site? I appreciate everyone on here that's gave useful info. Those that can only criticize and not be helpful can keep their comments to themselves. We're here to help each other be you new or experienced it doesn't matter. Thanks to all those that helped.

You know, it doesn't matter how long you've done this if you don't ask questions about products your not familiar with then your not very smart. Competitions have changed a lot since I last done them. No one knows everything. You need to ask questions everyday so we can all learn. If you know so much then why aren't you hosting your own show or have your own blog site? I appreciate everyone on here that's gave useful info. Those that can only criticize and not be helpful can keep their comments to themselves. We're here to help each other be you new or experienced it doesn't matter. Thanks to all those that helped.

Did not mean to offend you sir, not at all, or provide unuseful information. If you notice what I posted, ALL are fundamentals in regards to car audio that ANY car enthusiasts should know the basics to. Especially for one who has 20+ years of experience and one that has been previously sponsered by two major companies. The questions you asked are by no means "stupid questions", or ones that concerns ANY products. Again, it is the basics of understandings that I question someone of your caliber should have an understanding of. Looking back at previous threads you have created, they ALL are very "newbie" questions for the lack of better terms.

Besides that, yes, follow suggestions previously advised.

One of two things happened, you either wired the coils out of phase and smoked them and swelled the wire off of the coil former.

Or, the motors were shifted in shipping. If you did not read the paperwork that you got with the packaging materials that tells you to inspect the packaging upon receiving it to see if there was any damage done to it in transit and did not file a claim with the shipping providor you may be in a world of hurt.

Post some pictures of the speakers here of the actual subs and how the wires were ran on them. 99.9% of the time people wire things backwards and accidentally hook a coil out of phase with the other one.

OP need you to help me help you..or did you get something figured out?

I had to really think about how I wired them. I was so disappointed when that happened I just jerked them out and boxed them up. After a lot of thought I realized that I had wired one incorrectly. So I unboxed them wired correctly and they played like the beast I hoped they be! Might be old but am quick when it comes to unhooking! Lol. The reason I wired the one wrong I hooked them up to quickly go between ohm loads for competition. Now I'm just waiting on my new amp and a couple more batteries. If I blow them because of ohm load being to low then I'm a big boy and will pay for new recone. Sry for being impatient everyone! Just I'm trying all new products to me. Guess I just feared the worst. Sry FI!

It's awesome to hear they weren't hurt and are doing work like they're supposed to be!!

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time.

I'm very glad you got things figured out i have great experience with FI. They are amazing motors i understand the frustration and wanting to say they are junk but truthfully they are not. Hand built quality is hard to come by. As MTX and SSL are both mass manufactured. My Uncle (NEM) has steered me in the Made in the USA direction and to not go with much things made overseas. But i without a doubt knew that the FI drivers would satisfy you. Probably much more than you had expected. I've only been doing this for a year. and i know a load of info. and am still learning. not trying to make myself sound like a audio god or anything. but i certainly know my stuff. but i was confused at first because if you wired them in a series and then hooked them both up to the amp. what is the Ohm load of the woofer. if you wire a d1 to a series it would become a 2 and so would the other one but would wiring them in parallel both together would that make it back to 1 ohm.?

tried to talk to ya about it.. but you were too dead set on it being " somone elses fault"

glad you figured it out.

I'm not going to be near as nice as these fine fold above me, your 20 years of experiance is about ths worst I've ever seen. Instantly blaming the company for what YOUR DUMBASS did.

Sponsored by MTX and Soundstream huh? Yea more like a shop probably just charged you 50% over cost rather then 75%.

GTFO

That is a rookie mistake...

owned.gif

At least he came back and owned up to his mistake...Maybe next time he will take advice more willingly.

At least he came back and owned up to his mistake...Maybe next time he will take advice more willingly.

Agreed, he could have much easier just left the thread never to return. OP, glad you owned your mistake and as referenced here, you can never go wrong taking advice from all these guys. All have good advice, MOST will let noob mistakes go as long as you own them lol. I think the biggest problem was "bragging" about previous sponsorships while wiring a sub wrong, as I can see where that would make most people cringe.  Either way, glad your equipment is good....

It's a good idea to at least triple check wiring.

Old dogs can still learn! Lol I used to always triple check, but admit wanted it done fast and I messed up. Plain and simple. I went back through useful threads got to thinking and I just plain messed up. Haven't competed in ten years. Just excited to get back into it. Look forward to seeing you guys in the lanes when all is finished. BTW to the one doubter what's the mark up on $0.00? You do the math and get back to me. To the rest of you thanks to all and I really do appreciate it!