Sign in to follow this  
chainsaw

my whole front stage is fried

I have had weird issues off and on with my amp (teac 200.1) and my components( phoenix gold radials ran passively). little things like sounding muffled at start up in cold weather. I bought the amp on here a few years ago for $15, so no big loss. The other day i was involved in a fender bender and the power wire from the front battery to the back came undone. I didn't notice this until a few days ago. The tip off should have been that the sound deteriorated over the course of a week . Yesterday I took an old speaker and some wire and tested the amp and rca's for a clean signal. Left channel is dead and right is static-y. I said screw and attempted to run my components off the HU and still had static. I pulled out the left set and the wire going to and from the crossover was all dirty and corroded. I tried a Pioneer 6x9 i had lying around and still static and then silence. What the hell do I do now? ( besides the obvious)

When in a wreck, assume, because you have a problem, that literally everything is wired wrong.

So, i'd literally start from scratch all the way to the headunit(minus the wire harness(we hope)).

i would hook the speakers 2 a house stereo and

pray that somethings wrong with wires or the headunit in the car

Don't hook it to your reciever if is old the reciever has a chance to fry it since its a 4ohm load on it

Edited by Dictator

Well, I'm gonna redo everything. Low budget will include Kenwood KFC components and a Lanzar amp. I'm not going to cut the corner of tapping into the factory wire this time. I'm gonna do it right(wire from the amp, directly to the crossover). May play around with tweeter placement this time

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43987_Lanzar-HTG237.html

the amp

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22730_Kenwood-KFC-P709PS.html

the components 

any thoughts? I am trying to keep the budget as small as possible. This is more of a fix than an upgrade for me

Wouldn't you want an adjustable HPF? instead of being limited to JUST 80 hz?

The crossover is fixed @80hz, I do believe that means nothing under 80hz gets through.

The crossover is fixed @80hz, I do believe that means nothing under 80hz gets through.

Yeah you're right, I wasn't thinking right when I was looking at it.

amp and comps should be here today

mmmm kfc

the fat kid in me was thinking that as well. 

probably gonna do the install Saturday or Sunday early in the day. I will post pics here and probably update my old build log. 

About to start the install. I'm a little anxious about the work ahead of me: stripping out all the old, extending wires, running into doors, etc

About to start the install. I'm a little anxious about the work ahead of me: stripping out all the old, extending wires, running into doors, etc

Piece of cake.

Piece of cake.

well I got the amp in and cleaned up a lot of old crap. Ran out of energy and daylight to get the speakers in. Either I don't know how to solder or I bought a shitty iron. Either way, I'm probably gonna be using butt connectors to extend the tinline crossover wires to the tweeters. I need to get some sort of metal strap to mount the tweeter in the factory location on the dash

Piece of cake.

well I got the amp in and cleaned up a lot of old crap. Ran out of energy and daylight to get the speakers in. Either I don't know how to solder or I bought a shitty iron. Either way, I'm probably gonna be using butt connectors to extend the tinline crossover wires to the tweeters. I need to get some sort of metal strap to mount the tweeter in the factory location on the dash

http://www.lowes.com/pd_364404-37672-884480_0__?productId=3478229&Ntt=metal+strap&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dmetal%2Bstrap&facetInfo=

thanks guys. The video and the strap definitely help.