kuykendall54

SP4 Caught On Fire!!!!

More user error.

Edit: Sorry my son keeps hitting the keyboard. LOL

Why would watching other people blow up their equipment make you unhappy? Question what really happened. I would still like to see those pictures.

Edited by Chris

^^^

mamoru-tehe.gif

as i stated my sub caught fire as well.

Although it was a recone with sandwiched leads tho.

I agree that the leads in between the spiders sounds like a bad idea, but hey I don't build subs so idk.

I love Fi though and will be running a pair of ufo btl 15s soon that in fact do have sandwiched leads so we will see.

The btls with a BC 5500 each had the same leads I believe. Eventually that is where the subs failed. The spiders got burnt where the tinsels would be, no fire though.

Most spiders are heat treated for this. The problem is the more you heat the tinsels up like a toaster wire the less effective they become. Not a build issue or quality issue at all. Hell I have seen a gcon motor so hot it left a nice burn in my hand and the leads were even hotter, but no fire just nice burn marks. The sub rated at is 750, but when you are giving it close to 1800 square wave things will get hot.

scary, hope you recover quickly OP ..... kinda thinking it's user error/unknown variables with setup

Alot of subs been catching fire lately it would seem.

Those big four inche coils and exceding their thermal limits.

Edited by pmureika

junk amps that have no filtering in the output section causing the tinsel leads to glow...even more so when you square wave the hell out of it and your power per time division two or three folds.

..definitely a user error issue here because that amp is rated to do 1700 watts..i'd bet one glazed doughnut that way too much volume, bass boost, etc was applied.

You have to do this for a VERY long time for it to even get warm...let alone get hot enough to catch on fire.

ps. the amplifier could have failed and went into straight DC rail voltage and nuked the sub.

keep in mind a speaker only does what it is told to do by you and what you are telling the amplifier to do

junk amps that have no filtering in the output section causing the tinsel leads to glow...even more so when you square wave the hell out of it and your power per time division two or three folds.

..definitely a user error issue here because that amp is rated to do 1700 watts..i'd bet one glazed doughnut that way too much volume, bass boost, etc was applied.

You have to do this for a VERY long time for it to even get warm...let alone get hot enough to catch on fire.

i thought the subsonic filter is filtering the output section, am i wrong?

ive seen fi subs hooked to wall sockets for 7 minutes

before they smoked on youtube

i didnt think brz had it in em 2 do that kind of output without blowing up

this thread makes me wanna get a colossus 3200 watts bridged

and try 2 burp a 10k watt square wave

too bad the colossus is banned

if he sends the sub in and fi says it was factory error....

glazed donut shipped 44123 please, thanks

oh your gonnna bridge them... gotcha.

Not the filtering he was talking about.  There is filtering on the output terminals of the amplifiers to remove noise and other unwanted signal impurities created in the amplifier during operation.

Can not compare  hooking up a sub to a wall socket either.  It could only be getting a couple hundred watts from the wall socket.

Not the filtering he was talking about.  There is filtering on the output terminals of the amplifiers to remove noise and other unwanted signal impurities created in the amplifier during operation.

Can not compare  hooking up a sub to a wall socket either.  It could only be getting a couple hundred watts from the wall socket.

thanks

^^ Exactly.  I believe the filtering Nick was talking about is between the power supply section of the amp and the output section.  Take my explanation with a grain of salt, I know just enough about this stuff to be REALLY dangerous, lol.  From everything I've read on the issue and what I already know about amps, AC and DC circuits, and radio equipment this is a very basic, hopefully thorough enough to understand, and remotely accurate enough description of what really happens to a sub when the tinsels fry like that.

The power supply has to convert your cars DC input into an AC signal to run it through the transformers to step the voltage up to a level that will be suitable to output whatever wattage the amp is being built for.  The output from that transformer is supposed to be rectified and filtered back to DC for the output stage.  Some of the cheaper amp manufacturers are getting by with less filtering which results in a noisy DC voltage.  It's still technically DC but it's got high frequency (we're talking 20khz and up generally) noise riding on it.  That noise makes it's way to the sub out of the amp and at those high frequencies coupled with thousands of watts of power and the fact the tinsels leads are such a short distance apart it becomes something like a very high power low frequency radio signal and as Nick said microwaves the immediate surroundings.  I think I've even read where some amps have been found with basically no real rectification or filtering after the power supply and used the output section simply as a high speed gate with a design in that the inductance of the output coils in the amp would filter out the high frequencies.  

Couple all that with clipping and other issues and you get burnt tinsels, spiders and possibly even fire.

morning.gif

in·duc·tance  

/inˈdəktəns/

Noun

The property of an electric conductor or circuit that causes an

electromotive force to be generated by a change in the current flowing.