Sign in to follow this  
orlando144

System/SPL scores when you were 18?

Sup SSA! Just wondering what other people had for systems or metered when they were 18. Vehichle, class/ organization competed in..

Any records, acomplishments,crazy things done or memories from systems or installs?

Always interesting to hear of bassheads of my age/generation :)

21 was my first meet, did a 141 at the headrest with my icon and aq1200.

142.3dB @ 44hz @ headrest jeep TJ hardtop -- 1 18" Fi BL + ~1000w

146.7dB @ 40hz @ headrest. volvo v40 -- 2 15" SSA Xcons + ~1000w

Cool cool! How much do those scores variate from the kickpanel or winshield? Not too familiar with metering at the headrest as i mostly do outlaw

Edited by orlando144

Cool cool! How much do those scores variate from the kickpanel or winshield? Not too familiar with metering at the headrest as i mostly do outlaw

I never measured at the kickpanel or windshield so in my particular vehicles I don't know, but generally it seems like a difference of a few dB--someone with more competition experience could give a better guess. :)

"generally" speaking, the headrest will be lower than any other location. 1-2+ dbs from either windshield or kick. I say generally because if you are a serious competitior, you will change your score per sanction. What I mean is, if your peaking higher in the kick, but you compete mainly at the headrest, then you will build your system around the headrest, so in the end, you could very well be louder at the headrest, vs the kick.

The reason for the lower score, is because the headrest as NO loading. When you burp in the kick or windshield, the bass is reflecting off the windshield, which generally increases your score. Also, the main league that does the hearest metering is MECA, which also HAS fuse limits. Very difficult, and very gay lol. imo.

How is a system built to meter well at the headrest? Ive always wondered that for competitors of MECA

How is a system built to meter well at the headrest? Ive always wondered that for competitors of MECA

Same way a system is built to meter well at the kick, dash, etc. Hours and hours of testing. Its very simple really, competing. There are several constant variables that goes into testing, and  its all about maxing those out. But the difficult part, is it being one big equation, once you change X, then Y and B are changed simultaniously. In this case, the headrest, you want start off with a box, simple. What you then try to do, is find the best port area that gives you the most output, then the best box size, then the best box positioning, etc, until you have increase all areas that you have. The only difference is the meter placing, but the technique remains the same.

Crazy how much testing goes into SPL. I remember the time i spent testing to hit 150 in the kick.. 150 at the headrest must be way more time consuming

depends on vehicle too. When my truck had 2 18's and a normal ported box it did a 50 at the headrest 50 in the kick and 50 at the dash. I have never seen anyone else post that they metered the same anywhere inside. Very strange......

Now I am 3 db louder in the kick. My headrest and sealed windshield number is the same.

but at 18 I didnt car about metering. All I cared about was getting ass. Two 12's and a 400watt amp was bangin back then. I didnt do any upgrading every month back then.

My first competition was 17 and I hit a 145.3 on 6 PPI C2 10's at the dash in my walled off 89 CRX Si. Only .3 dB separted me at 3rd and first, man I really miss that car.

depends on vehicle too. When my truck had 2 18's and a normal ported box it did a 50 at the headrest 50 in the kick and 50 at the dash. I have never seen anyone else post that they metered the same anywhere inside. Very strange......

Now I am 3 db louder in the kick. My headrest and sealed windshield number is the same.

but at 18 I didnt car about metering. All I cared about was getting ass. Two 12's and a 400watt amp was bangin back then. I didnt do any upgrading every month back then.

Hahaha every teen cares about getting ass sometimes too much of it and things end up going wrong..

But your scores being the same is pretty badass! Not having to worry exact positioning and what not like I do

My first competition was 17 and I hit a 145.3 on 6 PPI C2 10's at the dash in my walled off 89 CRX Si. Only .3 dB separted me at 3rd and first, man I really miss that car.

A wall when you were 17? Nice! Crx's are good veichles to get loud in :)

yup but it didn't last long though, I ended up getting t-boned buy a an Accord, but the Rex was awesome had a JDM B16A, 18" KMC Tramps, had the stereo system. I loved driving down the beach during spring break. It was always funny watching people break there neck when i would ride by.

I built this one when I was like 20 (14 yrs ago, damn i'm old) I think. High score sealed on the dash was a 154.x db on only 1500 rockford watts :). Was this truck that spawned team SSA and ultimately the Forum we all call home now.

add.jpg

11.jpg

stroker vegas, awww. im old too.. they dont makem like they used to

2 18'' Audioque on 3500 audioque headrest 148.7 headrest and 122.8 park n pound third comp to ever do

yup but it didn't last long though, I ended up getting t-boned buy a an Accord, but the Rex was awesome had a JDM B16A, 18" KMC Tramps, had the stereo system. I loved driving down the beach during spring break. It was always funny watching people break there neck when i would ride by.

Sucks to hear that.. My brother's 94 accord burned in front of my very eyes because of an accident.. Loved that car

But yeah i love seeing people's expressions when they hear loud bass rollin by

I built this one when I was like 20 (14 yrs ago, damn i'm old) I think. High score sealed on the dash was a 154.x db on only 1500 rockford watts :). Was this truck that spawned team SSA and ultimately the Forum we all call home now.

add.jpg

11.jpg

Damm 154 sealed with 2 15's on that power! Never really understood how or why people say those stroker's got loud by seeing the spider takes up half the cone :o

2 18'' Audioque on 3500 audioque headrest 148.7 headrest and 122.8 park n pound third comp to ever do

Cool man! What veichle? Any pics?

add.jpg

11.jpg

Damm 154 sealed with 2 15's on that power! Never really understood how or why people say those stroker's got loud by seeing the spider takes up half the cone :o

Enrique knows a thing or two about speaker design.

Those Strokers sure are purtty. :wub:

o cant tell you why they did.. i can only tell you that they did...

and back in the day, subs were jokes when you VS them to what you kids have today. shit what we all have today...

you look at funky pups and laugh,... but that was a avrage sub back in the day.

some where in the 90's they started getting mass to them.. but even then it was not like today.. im talking a beefy 15 would weight in at 25 lbs or so. and it was a HUGE sub.

my point was it took more knolege to get loud back in the day.

o cant tell you why they did.. i can only tell you that they did...

and back in the day, subs were jokes when you VS them to what you kids have today. shit what we all have today...

you look at funky pups and laugh,... but that was a avrage sub back in the day.

some where in the 90's they started getting mass to them.. but even then it was not like today.. im talking a beefy 15 would weight in at 25 lbs or so. and it was a HUGE sub.

my point was it took more knolege to get loud back in the day.

Yup! I was looking at pics of older DB Drag veichles and found it amazing the amount of work and equipment put in to get loud. 160's back in the days was world record range now its as high as 181+

144. 44hz two fi bl's on crescendo 3500 when I was 19