Sign in to follow this  
orlando144

System/SPL scores when you were 18?

Never had anything worth metering at 18, nor was there any place to get anything metered.  Almost no one around here knew anything about sanctioning bodies either.  There was a select few people who did any competing at all and I sure as hell didn't have the funds to get into it.  Though when I was about 21 I took the setup I had in my '88 Park Ave to a "Meter 'n Greet" that a local Risley's was having.  Scored a 134 with a single 12" from Radio Shack powered by a Profile A200XL in a custom built ported enclosure.  Kind of a laughable number but I didn't think it was too shabby for what it was.  It got me an audio job quite a few times when I demoed it for people, but it's the only thing I've ever had metered.  Wouldn't mind knowing what the van does just to know.

144. 44hz two fi bl's on crescendo 3500 when I was 19

Cool! Love me some BL's!

What did you have the setup in?

Never had anything worth metering at 18, nor was there any place to get anything metered. Almost no one around here knew anything about sanctioning bodies either. There was a select few people who did any competing at all and I sure as hell didn't have the funds to get into it. Though when I was about 21 I took the setup I had in my '88 Park Ave to a "Meter 'n Greet" that a local Risley's was having. Scored a 134 with a single 12" from Radio Shack powered by a Profile A200XL in a custom built ported enclosure. Kind of a laughable number but I didn't thinIk it was too shabby for what it was. It got me an audio job quite a few times when I demoed it for people, but it's the only thing I've ever had metered. Wouldn't mind knowing what the van does just to know.

Landing a job from giving demos? I wish it was like that for me haha

Never had anything worth metering at 18, nor was there any place to get anything metered. Almost no one around here knew anything about sanctioning bodies either. There was a select few people who did any competing at all and I sure as hell didn't have the funds to get into it. Though when I was about 21 I took the setup I had in my '88 Park Ave to a "Meter 'n Greet" that a local Risley's was having. Scored a 134 with a single 12" from Radio Shack powered by a Profile A200XL in a custom built ported enclosure. Kind of a laughable number but I didn't thinIk it was too shabby for what it was. It got me an audio job quite a few times when I demoed it for people, but it's the only thing I've ever had metered. Wouldn't mind knowing what the van does just to know.

Landing a job from giving demos? I wish it was like that for me haha

LOL, yeah it was nice but it's not happened in YEARS!!  It was over a decade ago when I had that setup and it landed me those jobs.  Last job it got me was reinstalling a guys setup from his old truck to his new one.  A pair of Polk subs on an Alpine amp.  Was kind of a neat job as the boxes the store sold him for the subs were WAY too big.  He couldn't put his seats all the way back (regular cab truck) and the subs were muddy, boomy and sounded down right wrong.  I pealed the carpet back, cut 6" off the top of the box, sealed it back up and laid the carpet back down on it.  Subs sounded much better and his seats would go all the way back.  I also built an amp rack for him to hold the amp between the boxes because the shop that did it originally just screwed it to the back wall of the cab.  The guy wore way too much hair gel in his hair and I got the job cuz that single Radio Shack 12 moved his hair, LOL.  "Dude, you just moved my hair.  You've got my attention." was his exact words.  You know, I bought a second one of those 12's and kept them both on the shelf for years after the transmission took a crap in that car.  Lent them to a club member and he's STILL using those damn things!

I haven't done a job for someone else to make any profit in years.  I help the guys in our club at every meeting usually and the last time I did a job for anyone else was when I put the system in my co-worker's son's truck.  I did that in trade for a go-cart he had that I wanted to give to my kids to play on.  I miss doing that kinda work for people on a regular basis.

I still help out alot of my friends with their systems as well without charging them. Earns more of a connection rather than just some audio shop relationship where they get your money and shove you out the door.

Crazy to hear that decade old sub are still in use haha good stuff man!