On3Hundr3dProof

building a hybrid woofer

Im wanting to build a hybrid woofer but have never tried this before. i have two 3 bolt Memphis MOJO motors and i want to know if i can recone them with either some 15" SSA or Sundown recone parts and run on an SAZ-3500. What do i need to know about these motors before to know what parts i can use and what parts should i use? I know the motors have 2 magnet slugs that are iirc 1" x 8.5" and the oem voice coil is a 4 layer 3" coil. can or should i use an 8 layer coil and can i use the same basket as the soft parts im using use and redrill it to fit the three bolt style?

Nothing good will come out of simply putting parts together that "fit."

well i cant find any of the original parts to recone or a new cartridge like memphis uses, and although i am talking to psi about a recone but i would like to use some ssa or sundown parts if possible. how wide is the coil on a nightshade v1?

Edited by On3Hundr3dProof

I have some dc baskets that were redrilled it looks like to fit on my MT's..

I dont think the basket is as big of a deal as the voice coil fitting properly.

aka not bottoming our or rubbing.

yeah i saw a tutorial on caco of someone redrilling a basket to fit on the newer CM MOJOs. if i can fit an 8 layer coil in the gap i would like to try either some NS or Z parts from sundown or some ZCON parts from ssa if it wont fit an 8 layer then maybe XCON parts if the vc is the right length. really hard to find dimensions and specs from the old mojos though.

I thought your avatar was towlie for which the topic matches well.

Curiosity is getting to me though.  And yes, this is super relevant.  How do you plan to design a box for said frankenwoofer?

Why don't you get OD and ID of the motor as well as the coils you wanna use for a start before buying stuff. You need to do more reading if you wanna playing around with this idea.

I thought your avatar was towlie for which the topic matches well.

Curiosity is getting to me though.  And yes, this is super relevant.  How do you plan to design a box for said frankenwoofer?

That part is easy--just ask Kevin.

been looking for specs and sizes on these coils and i found the ID OD for the ns v1. cant seem to find much on the mojo. havent thought of any box designs for it yet, it would be nice if i could do a direct swap from the box im building for my CM MOJOs which is 3 cubes per sub @ 32hz and 93" of port area. dont have any calipers but the vc gap on the mojo motors is about 3/8" and its 4 1/4" deep from the top of the pole piece(3 3/4" from the front plate). sundown Z v2 ID 2.97 OD 3.25 i found.

Edited by On3Hundr3dProof

been looking for specs and sizes on these coils and i found the ID OD for the ns v1. cant seem to find much on the mojo. havent thought of any box designs for it yet, it would be nice if i could do a direct swap from the box im building for my CM MOJOs which is 3 cubes per sub @ 32hz and 93" of port area. dont have any calipers but the vc gap on the mojo motors is about 3/8" and its 4 1/4" deep from the top of the pole piece(3 3/4" from the front plate). sundown Z v2 ID 2.97 OD 3.25 i found.

His point was, if you randomly assemble parts you aren't going to have proper T/S parameters, which means you are not going to be able to design an enclosure for it.  If you had someone measure the T/S for you, then you would be able to at least design an enclosure......but you're stuck with whatever the T/S turn out to be, it might turn out to be a turd since there is absolutely zero actual engineering or design going into the parts selection.

The moral of the story is your plan is not a good one.  Even if the parts fit together and you're able to assemble a working subwoofer, it doesn't mean the driver is going to be any good.  Good parts on a good motor with zero engineering going into the design does not mean the results are also going to be any good.

Post pics of the motors and deminsions. I will need to know :

Topplate thickness, ID, and OD

Magnet total thickness, and OD

Bottom plate thickness and OD

Assuming they used a C8 magnet we can calculate close enough T/S parameters. I don't have any baskets at the moment however I can supply you with cones, spiders, and coils(if the ones I have on hand will fit)

or i think you can ship them to psi aka fixmyspeaker.com and have them put together something and give you the specs for it.

I think............

well i sent PSI a request telling them what i had a few days ago but no response yet. either way i have these motors and id like to do something with them besides use them as a paper weight lol.

well i sent PSI a request telling them what i had a few days ago but no response yet. either way i have these motors and id like to do something with them besides use them as a paper weight lol.

Sell them to someone else gullible enough to build a "custom" driver.

took them about a week/12 to get back with me.

After the initial request was answered the replies were pretty fast.

Probably more valuable as paper weights.

Terrible reason to use something.  You have a target box, you are WAY better off buying drivers that are optimal for the target.

well psi got back to me so im gonna get 1800w recones from them. 

I just sent my order style FI Q motor to SPLaudio on ca.com to get custom built.... Kind of makes me wonder if I wasted my money after reading all this....???

I just sent my order style FI Q motor to SPLaudio on ca.com to get custom built.... Kind of makes me wonder if I wasted my money after reading all this....???

I wouldn't worry about it too much. People here like to act like it's impossible to build a decent custom sub but that's just not true. Sure, the first or second time you build one the T/S specs may not be exactly what you want, but with experience you start to learn which parts work well together. For example, below are two custom subs built by a member on caraudio.com (Zeus for those who know him). You'll also see the T/S specs for those subs. I would have no issues running those subs and I'm sure they would perform just fine if not better than a lot of other subs.

DSC_4918_zpsced29e81.jpg

photo_zpse9a44782.jpg

As far as SPLaudio, I couldn't really tell you what his custom subs are like as I've never played with one. From what I've seen on the forums, he seems to be more of a SPL guy. I have seen a lot of the subs that he builds using multiple medium to hard stiffness spiders (not my cup of tea for a daily driver lol) and I have never seen anyone post the T/S specs of the subs he builds. However I have also never seen any bad reviews on him and everyone seems to like the subs they get from him.