hb773

Car Audio PROBLEM!!

IMG 0008

IMG 0007

Okay, I have had this horrible smell for about 3 days. Didnt know what it was until i opened the good and seen my fuse smoking.....

So I found my fuse holder smoking with the side that goes to the amp alll burned up and melted.... 

I dont know why at all.... It only started after my car had ran out of gas... Not sure how or why that would have an affect. 

but the odd thing too is my subs pound fine and my highs are still going. 

What can I do!?!? or check for?

The only other thing I could even think was bad was a ground? Would that be a problem? 

Edited by hb773

Since the wire is melted after the fuse, I can only imagine a short circuit somewhere between the fuse holder and amplifiers.

EDIT: I would disconnect the power wire until you figure out what is going on unless you wish to replace your equipment or worse.

Edited by BrutalBasser

Okay, I have had this horrible smell for about 3 days. Didnt know what it was until i opened the good and seen my fuse smoking.....

So I found my fuse holder smoking with the side that goes to the amp alll burned up and melted.... 

I dont know why at all.... It only started after my car had ran out of gas... Not sure how or why that would have an affect. 

but the odd thing too is my subs pound fine and my highs are still going. 

What can I do!?!? or check for?

The only other thing I could even think was bad was a ground? Would that be a problem? 

I have pics of the fuse and how it looks BUt how do I up load them here!??!?!?!

What size cable and fuse were you using, and also how much power are you pushing to your subs?

Since the wire is melted after the fuse, I can only imagine a short circuit somewhere between the fuse holder and amplifiers.

I used 8 Gauge wire with a 80 AMP Fuse to push a 1500 Watt amp.  My fuse holder melted before my fuse blew.

I used 8 Gauge wire with a 80 AMP Fuse to push a 1500 Watt amp.  My fuse holder melted before my fuse blew.

Well Dan that's because you used wire too small to carry the needed current, that caused resistance and heat. This could be his problem as well.

Then you had a defective fuse and/or a loose bolt.   

There is a reason good name brand fuses cost more than cheap ones.  Not all are created equal.

sounds like a scoshe fuse holder.  too much flow.

Yes, I disconnected it! And Im running 2 Ga to the back. into a splitter and 2ga into the amp. and 4 ga to my speaker amp. i have a 2100 rms amp but subs only running 1600 rms 4 kicker cvrs. 

maybe i do need to upgrade the fuse, never thought about that , I m looking at the fuse and it doesnt even say the amp i think it burned off! =0 

Im sure its either 200-250

my fuse and fuse holder is DB link, cheap I guess. And I didnt have this problem with 1100 rms only. Now I had this 1700rms-2000 running for about.... 3 months .... 

Could it have taken a while to do this? Also it started now and I been taking road trips where I have my sound system pounding for about 1 1/2 hour straight 

sounds like a scoshe fuse holder.  too much flow.

?

Explain please.

i have seen cheap fise holders like the brand i named, faily many many times,

normaly from too much current, ( flow) i think was my poor term.

but either way.. its too much current for its capiblities .. i have seen it plenty of times, cheap  holders, cheap results..

i have also see lose nuts/ bolts on the +  cause this.. and also weak grounds..... but most times its juat a cheap ole fuse holder

The positive terminals i have connected to the bank of caps im running get warm. I have one run of 1/9 from the front battery to the caps then 2 runs of + to my amp. Both runs warm up.. Imagine if i was running smaller wire.. My truck would most likely catch on fire from wire melting and shorting on the floor

Anyways.. This happened to my cousin.. He ran an amp that was drawing too much current and he was running 4 gauge CCA cable and a 100 amp fuse, the fuse never blew but the wire started melting. He got himself some 1/0 OFC and never had that problem again

Loose connection, I've seen this happen before. 

20120921_124702.jpg

This was a good fuse holder by  RF IIRC and a loose connection caused it to melt without the fuse even burning up.

So should I get a bigger fuse? If so what would be good running my power? 250...300? 

Also, Im sure my fuse was tight...But , Who knows .... Do you think Id have to get bigger wire!??!?! 

So should I get a bigger fuse? If so what would be good running my power? 250...300? 

Also, Im sure my fuse was tight...But , Who knows .... Do you think Id have to get bigger wire!??!?! 

I think you need to check your wire to ensure there are no shorts anywhere. The sheath could have been cut or pinched somehow. Another notable thing to check would be your grounds. Make sure they are tight and clean.

A connection doesn't necessarily have to be loose to have high resistance.  A light film of oil, polish to make it shine, or anything like that which is put on the surface of the fuse itself, the ring terminal, etc. could cause high resistance which would cause heat.  For years I've always taken some kind of sand paper, hardware cloth, scotch brite type pad/wheel, something to the surface of EVERY connection from the battery to the amp terminal to prevent problems like this.  You'd be very surprised how often you find that something has a protective coating of some kind on it that would have caused a problem at some point in the future.

x2 anything that will cause higher resistance.  Loose connections are typical for this especially with the fuse not blowing.