Sign in to follow this  
trilje

Brand new Sundown SA12D4 blown is it worth going through warranty exch

So I just purchased a Sundown SA12D4 installed it and had about an hour worth of play before it decided to go out on me that same day. I have it hooked up to an Alpine MRX M110 rated at 1100 rms at 2ohm, wired with kunconceptz kolossus flex 4 gauge kit, Kinetik hc2000 for power source (battery is located in the back), and a ported enclosure 1.75 cubic feet tuned at 35hz. I had the gain a little less than half to break sub in first when it started to smell really bad then almost immediately it blewi think and now it sounds like crap. Ive had these subs before amd over powere them without any issues. Do you think its worth the hassle going through the warranty exchange....any suggestions??? Dissapointed to see them go out right away.

You over powered it and blew it, therefore you can't do a warranty exchange.

And your logic on gain setting is wrong as well.

lol sorry for my ignorance but dude 1 hour of play? i thought these were better than that like i said its not my first time owning these i heard on different forums these were tested at 1000rms before being shipped

A lot of factors come in to play when it comes to overpowering subs efficiently and safely. You can't just throw almost double the rated power because other people have done it or because you may have before. The cleanliness of the signal, clipping, box size, and song choice. Hell one day you can fart 40hz at triple rated power and get away with it, but another day you can try to play a song that has a full range of clipped to hell bass in it and unwind the coil extremely easy. Trust me i've been there. lol

lol sorry for my ignorance but dude 1 hour of play? i thought these were better than that like i said its not my first time owning these i heard on different forums these were tested at 1000rms before being shipped

You had it on nearly twice it's rated power, mix that in with some clipping, and other improper settings and it's clear as to why it didn't last. You should probably choose a different forum (like this one) to get your facts from. I know it sounds like I'm being a dick, but I'm just being honest with you.

The Obsidians are tested the exact same way.. (clones?), but they are rated and warranted the same way.

Its alright dude im not taking it in a bad way just wanted some suggestions i didnt think it was worth going through all that for them to tell me it was my fault so im just gonna buy a new one any suggestions for a new sub for that amp?

Its alright dude im not taking it in a bad way just wanted some suggestions i didnt think it was worth going through all that for them to tell me it was my fault so im just gonna buy a new one any suggestions for a new sub for that amp?

Just so you know you can recone it for about $60. There are plenty of other subs that will work well with that amp if that's what you want to do. Even the sa will work if you set the gain properly.

Why not contact Sundown and if they don't warranty it then have them recone it and use your head next time?  Would be cheaper than buying another sub, and if you are happy with the performance no reason to ditch it altogether.

I was thinking about that too, having them repair it but its also another 50 to ship plus factor in the time itll take for all that, i need my bass..... theres this guy on craigslist that sells skar audio and he says the skar vvx 12 can take more abuse he claims hes an authorized dealer those any good he lets em go for 160

whats with all the bad rep with the skars i thought they were almostthe same as the sundown? If ai get it repaired they can do the spl cone too right?

lol

whats with all the bad rep with the skars i thought they were almostthe same as the sundown? If ai get it repaired they can do the spl cone too right?

Nuff said

Can you do the recone or have someone you know do it? That'll save a lot of money.

Don't buy the Skar. I had the 15s before and they weren't that great.

I'd rather shove toothpicks into my eyes than recommend anyone purchase anything from Skar........

Agreed!

Very first revisions were but now its cheap Chinese off the shelf junk. I can make a promise they wont sound as good nor handle more abuse than an SA. I stand behind that 100% and will till I'm proven differently. Also you can get the sa an spl upgrade when you get it reconed but i wouldn't unless your intent is strictly spl oriented.

Well im trying to get that nasty loud bass but i also want it as a daily driver but after all I AM A just ship it too sundown to get repaired i dont know anybody i can trust to recone it....and from what i read the spl cone have aluminum coils rather than copper and theyll take more abuse...any logic on that....btw thanks for the help

Subs are really easy to recone. You can do it yourself if you have common sense and can do a little research for a little guidance if you have no clue  on where to start. 

Nasty loud bass is all in your perspective. Personally i run standard coils with 1200-1400w each daily. I know how to set gains properly as well as having a properly designed and built enclosure. Watching, smelling, and listening closely will save your equipment.  Clipping has some very distinct signs and i recommend learning them. One being the burnt coil smell that you obviously chose to overlook the first go around.

well what do u think about the enclosure im using, i got it off stevemead forum its L port 1.75 cubes tuned at 35hz....i figured to go with that since i was running more power

ill look into the reconing as well

well what do u think about the enclosure im using, i got it off stevemead forum its L port 1.75 cubes tuned at 35hz....i figured to go with that since i was running more power

where was your ssf set at with that setup? Maybe you went too far below tuning with that much power and BAM! it's over..... check you settings for sure OP... 

Nasty loud bass is all in your perspective. Personally i run standard coils with 1200-1400w each daily. I know how to set gains properly as well as having a properly designed and built enclosure. Watching, smelling, and listening closely will save your equipment.  Clipping has some very distinct signs and i recommend learning them. One being the burnt coil smell that you obviously chose to overlook the first go around.

Many learn about clipping when their wallet screams at them for going through so many subs.

id say about 1/4 way up on the ssf

Sign in to follow this