stiffler style

Home audio sub built into sectional couch *idea*

Hi all,

I have been away from SSA for a while but have come back with a new idea. Again, this is just an idea or starting point to build off of and I am looking to the more knowledgeable figures on this site to guide me some.

I currently have a 16' by 16' room with a cheap logitech surround sound audio set up and am looking to combine two ideas I have. I have some great sounding speaker cabinets just sitting and collection dust and want to make my own home audio setup along with a great sub system. I currently have two recliners and want a couch to replace them so I thought I would build my own sectional couch made just how i want it and for the space available. Again, this is just an idea right now. I figured I could build the frame of the couch to fit my space then build some sort of box inside the frame of the couch to house and hide the sub system. I'm not too familiar with IB setups, but I see they are often used in home audio so that is something to look into.

My uses:

40% music

40% gaming

20% movies

My space available for the couch:

70" x 100" in the corner of the room.

My google sketchup shows that I could get almost 80 cubic feet just in the base of the couch. I will upload a drawing soon. 

My goals are to have strong noticeable bass that is usable for low frequency movies as well. I currently have a $700 budget for the total project. I know that will probably yield me some cheap parts-express subs for the time being. I also understand that "dressing" the couch to be comfortable and look decent will be another challenge and expense for later (not included in budget yet). 

I'm not sure what characteristics I should be looking for in a sub. I hope I could do this with one 15" or 18". 

Is this idea a total waste or something I could build off of?

I appreciate and look forward to input

Bump

Any other suggestions?

Why not just do a basic sub setup with an enclosure separate from the couch? I think it would be a waste trying to incorporate a sub inside the couch. Your budget would get you a very nice powered 15'' woofer.

I'm beginning to think that would yield better results than trying to do some sort of infinite baffle system. I want to have the sub tucked away and inside the couch would be a perfect spot. It wouldn't be any more trouble because I could just build the enclosure and then build the frame of the couch around it. I do have concerns about any noticeable negative affects of having the sub inside the couch. I could have the sub mounted on a side wall of the couch so it is not muffled and the couch itself would do a great job separating the front and rear waves of the sub correct?

Just build it separate the couch is a good idea but sounds very challenging. Plus size your budget is plenty for a 16x16 room stereo integrity subwoofers are the driver that everybody wants for DIY bass ATM!! Just put together two obsidian audio 18s on a ep 2500 man is that thing wicked low in my ported enclosure!!

Edited by Dictator

wouldn't the couch mess with the acoustic potential of the room hindering the loudness?

wouldn't the couch mess with the acoustic potential of the room hindering the loudness?

Just build it separate the couch is a good idea but sounds very challenging. Plus size your budget is plenty for a 16x16 room stereo integrity subwoofers are the driver that everybody wants for DIY bass ATM!! Just put together two obsidian audio 18s on a ep 2500 man is that thing wicked low in my ported enclosure!!

It would be a challenge for sure.

If I had the sub mounted flush with the base of the couch would the couch actually be beneficial as it would help divide the front and back waves of the sub?

It will definitely be cheaper to just build a box instead of an entire couch.

The floors are concrete (basement) but have tile on them. 

You could down fire your woofer, that would in my opinion, be the best route IF you built the enclosure into the couch. The downside to that would be changing the woofer if it needed swapped.

If I had the sub mounted flush with the base of the couch would the couch actually be beneficial as it would help divide the front and back waves of the sub?

It will definitely be cheaper to just build a box instead of an entire couch.

The floors are concrete (basement) but have tile on them.

Absolutely cannot use a couch for an IB setup. The back/front waves HAVE to be completely isolated.

You should really price custom upholstery before you contemplate this. You are going to crap yourself when you do.

What is wrong with a box or a coffee table?

I've browsed custom upholstery and know it is extremely costly. There are cheaper options..

I don't particularly want a big ugly box just taking up room and I want a couch. What if I built a platform for a prebuilt couch and used that as a huge sealed box for one or two 15"-18"s? I already have a nice glass "coffe" table as well.

As with ANY audio installation you need to know your box size/mounting location before determining drivers. Perhaps you should flip a couch over and measure if you have one you are modifying, if not go shopping. Then you can easily tell us what size box you could deal with and you'd know if it would work.

I have 70" by 100" for a platform and could build into the base of a couch as well. It would in the corner of a room so I could mount the sub(s) anywhere around the base. I have a lot of flexibility. Does a large sealed box increase the efficiency of a woofer? 

well where would you start then?