WrenchGuy1

2010 Malibu SQish

proceed to hang around until you feel compelled to clean up my install.... lol

you can be my friend.....now what?

Looks great! Really like the look of subs with no logo on them.

I may have missed it, but what the VA logo? 

I blacked it out...lol The logo looks ghosted in the right light.

VA is for Vertex Audio....they've really helped me a lot and are just cool dudes. So Ive obliged.

i love the attention to detail in this build and especially building it to boeing standards. although i will say i hate those cable clamps. of course it may just be that im swapping out old ones with corrosion on them through a 4 inch hole lol. very clean build and i love the equipment. trink40.gif

great build and skills....keep it up

Lol yea Ive ran into some bastard clamps myself lol

Well there's supposed to be a Mino on the way so I had to get going on the wing piece for the amp rack.

I managed to get it cut down to a workable piece tonight.

20131009_121554_zps3022e66c.jpg

20131009_172933_zpsaea1f629.jpg

20131009_194501_zpse947c75b.jpg

Still brainstorming

20131015_165730_zps48ba3fea.jpg

20131014_204200_zpsc8ac10da.jpg

20131014_203729_zps7d316c15.jpg

Alright headway on this continues.  Theyll be higher but I got em mapped out.  Its pretty much mount, route, and clean up everything.  Then the more critical cosmetics and ideas I have in store.

20131105_161759_zps255ebaea.jpg

20131105_163503_zps802e0b5a.jpg

20131105_173659_zps0a73aa59.jpg

20131105_182706_zps44be2e44.jpg

Thanks for taking all the time to document your incredible work!!lifter.gif

I have learned a lot already, and now see the extent it takes to create a top notch build.   I see quiet a few similarities in my Pontiac G6 with your Malibau.  What did you opt for a battery up front?  Our battery space configs are identical.  

I'm gonna smudge a XS D3400 eventually. Toolmaker is doing a distro top for that.

Ill do Big 3 and reharness the stock stuff to comply with the batt.

If I beat ya to it Ill have it posted in detail on getting it in.

I'm kinda doing some other stuff in that area or at least want to.

Again, your attention to detail on this build is astounding.  Absolutely beautiful.

Quick question though, I saw the bolts through the A pillars and the brackets on the back of the mid pods, but I didn't see exactly how they mount up.  I'll eventually be doing similar testing and mounting in my Jimmy and that looks like a great way to mount, aim, and test a pod type speaker mount and especially for temporary testing.

The cleanliness of the wire runs and the install in general should be the level we all strive to achieve.  I'm really looking forward to your thoughts and opinions on the overall sound when it's complete.  It should be quite nice!  I can imagine the quietness of the ride as it is now with all you've done to make it quiet is remarkable as well.

I used the center of the factory tweeter grilles for symmetry.  The pods are are mounted with a thru bolt.  Fender washers on both sides sturdies the trim piece. The pic showing the external nut was just reference. A nylon nut was installed inside the pod before mounting the speaker.  The rear thing is a cannon plug backshell used in aviation electrical connections.  I may go to the usual lamp hardware tho and rewrap.  The windshield reflections are minimal practically null in this location.   The driver plane is about 2" rear of the upmost part of the windshield.  

Ive found I need to move the driver side a touch more on axis.  It messes with cosmetics so Im gonna do the same pods in the same way but up to 4" diameter pods.  They will look more spherical and gimme a touch more volume to more represent the graphing of the ES-3.  Ive jammed the mid and tweet combo for a bit already in a crude sense but its sounding fantastic already.  Fixin to get on the doors here shortly.  I just ordered the bill of materials to get going on that.

This is the first time Ive been anal about deadening.  Other builds usually stopped at CLD.  Second Skin plug......Im not using anything else ever...lol and I ve used a few to know why.  The deadening still continues as I will be doing liquid under the whole car in the coming months.  It is very coffin like and very rewarding. I can only hear the external components of the car besides some minor buzzes that I will tackle here as I go.

The wire installation is to Boeing Standard Wiring Practices and I have all the manual references and photos of how it would apply on aircraft.  Mostly the engines as thats what I build and I routinely help avionics harness our engines so I thought itd be cool to theme the build accordingly.  Im still in the rules for IASCA too so win win.  Plus Moe Sabourin said if its FFA legit than its good enough for a car.  As elaborate as it looks the same practice can be followed with the usual bay install hardware, its all about approach I suppose.  I didnt and will not use zip ties in this build only because we avoid them at work.  I would use them otherwise tho.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll answer all that I can.  Ive done a lot of tinkering and this build is just to show what I can do from a personal standpoint.  I think I would put the same ethic into any build or would be customers build.......actually I WOULD its just how I am lol

We certainly dig it!  Keep up the good work & keep them pics comingbananaDance.gif

Trimmed the excess. Little more mapping and then pull it out for final paint. This is a slightly better presentation of the layout.

20131110_134824_zps13979f9f.jpg

Tedious shit

I'm building a new 5 bedroom house with cameras and touch screen monitors to control all the house electronics in every room and bathrooms in the house (the ole lady is deaf). If your interested in running all the wires. Lol.

My mom and uncle are deaf...lol

Ur probably too far away

I've seen some the stuff it takes it to do all that too.....its like whoa!

Edited by WrenchGuy1

Any chance you are going to renew that IA with there new line up?

And your build is great.

How does it sound with the rear seats up vs down? I'm starting to dislike keeping my back seats down