ImBob

Double baffle vs bracing

I see a lot of heavy subs or multiple sub boxes being used with double baffles. Is there really any pros or cons to that vs adding some bracing inside the box? I'd think it wouldn't matter much, but I can learn something new here every day!

It makes it so where the subs are mounted not flex. I always do a double baffle and almost always brace the inside.

Bracing is more effective and less weight, but double baffle is feasible and easier just to laminate a couple sheets together.

Also for bracing use 2x2s. They're cheaper than the dowels and you get more.

i do double baffle and dowl bracing.

Also for bracing use 2x2s. They're cheaper than the dowels and you get more.

I have to disagree. You want as little thickness as possible, but strength at the same time. Threaded rods are a very good example.

My favorite is threaded rods, it's easy cheap and extremely strong. Dowels are my second choice

Hmm maybe ill start using threaded rods then

Bracing and doubling baffles do not help with SPL, but they are a good idea. The more the better. I'd do both for a single 8. In a car you can reach a law of diminishing returns, but erring on the side of minimizing coloration due to flex and panel modes is a good idea.

Bracing and doubling baffles do not help with SPL, but they are a good idea. The more the better. I'd do both for a single 8. In a car you can reach a law of diminishing returns, but erring on the side of minimizing coloration due to flex and panel modes is a good idea.

By coloration do you mean altering frequency response? Something else? I can do both double baffle and bracing, just wondered if it was a bit overkill.

I use threaded rod as well. It never fails.

all thread works well.. but i cant affored the extra space on the outside of my box to afix it.

any pics of the threaded rod setups??? Do you use a nuts on the inside AND outside of the enclosure for better tightness or just the outside good enough?

382463_4229272168530_183493329_n_zps2d4aPhoto224_zpsff276f0c.jpgIMG_2543_zps8064740c.jpgPhoto244_zps9b0a0523.jpgPhoto245_zps7c2e9dd4.jpgPhoto237_zps8e3475ec.jpg

Edited by BrutalBasser

Nuts and washers inside and out. Just a few examples of double baffles and threaded rod.

Nuts and washers inside and out. Just a few examples of double baffles and threaded rod.

So left-right and front-back should be good enough?

So left-right and front-back should be good enough?

Usually I will brace where I think the most stress will be applied. Sometimes it's side to side, up and down, or just front to back. Hard to say until you have your design and more times than none, a little goes a long way.

I usually do the Largest panels.