SMpaintball78

The price of owning a diesel...

most people i hang around with and talk to want a big diesel truck like mine... but what 90% of them dont understand is that if you dont have DEEP pockets, it will F**K you lol Yesterday, i noticed my airdog fuel system wasnt humming annoyingly loud as usual so i got to looking into it. checked to make sure it was getting power and everything was plugged in. well i guess the motor is shot on it so now i have to spend the $500 i had saved for some more sa8v2s on a new pump haha. but its just the price of owning a diesel :)

the airdog fuel system on my truck has nothing to do with ford.... actually the system i have is most common on dodges......

pretttttyyyy sure i warned you of that :D

$500 is cheap. Just wait until something bigger goes wrong. I bought my MB knowing it needed a tune up and some other small fixes. $2000 in parts later its up to my standards mechanically. Cars are money pits not investments ;)

just wait untill you have an injector  go out.. and you find out how much of the motor they have to take apart to replace a single injector... and then they will tell you  its best to replace all of them at once.. and they are right.. but they they tell you its 2K just for parts.. plus 20 hours labor! :D

or a turbo goes..

If you think $500 is bad, just wait until your fuel injectors go out smile.png

Edit:  Damn, looks like John beat me to it.

i already replaced two injectors.. thankfully, i have a GOOD friend whos the master diesel mechanic at the local ford dealer so i get parts at there cost which is ALOT cheaper than anywhere else and his labor is cheaper. everything that goes wrong withthe 6.0 have already been taken care of.  my fuel pump going out has nothing to do with my truck being a ford... lol its a problem that airdog had with there pumps. but my new pump the airdog 2 has had all the problems worked out of it and is good to go. the pump thats on my truck now is 5 years old which aint to bad for a aftermarket pump. There is a lifetime warrenty on my pump but the dumbass that origionally put it on didnt fillout and send in the warrenty card lol. shes really gonna be sucking some fuel down with this new pump... 200 gallons per hour! hahaha gonna go real fast!

idk if some of you remember but at slammology last year, they were running diesel trucks at the dragstrip inside the speedway.... i think it would be cool if i could do some bass racing then hit the strip to give everyone a little show :) lol then all the ford haters can shut there mouths! haha should be a good time this year!

In 2006 I bought a brand new 350 dually. The same week I made a trip to flat tops Colorado and had 2 injectors go out ruining the engine.

You can ask any mechanic and they will tell you Fords have more issues than any other manufacturer. It's got nothing to do with hating its just fact.

I have a buddy that had a nasty dually. Don't remember who did the work but it had a twin turbo setup with something like 900 horses and 2,000 ft lbs of torque. It was a dodge but had some type of Cat motor put in it.

Mine has 160k on stock injectors. Mine has also been chipped since 10k miles. But I do run Deisel clean in every tank, dropped a ton of money on it last year but its all good. My truck is a beast and love it. When my injectors go then I will drop bigger ones in and also a bigger turbo. Gotta pay to play...

Edited by swift

I'll always be cummin' wouldn't have it any other way. the ol' 12 valves are the way to go!

i have a cummins in my wrecker. injetor line issues like a mug.

well quentin, u can say all the facts you want. but hell will freeze over before id ever own a golden bowtie chevy haha between there HORRIBLE front end independant suspension design, shitty allison transmission and all the injector problems you could ever want, ill stick with my ford ;) like swift said, gotta play to play!

the allison is far from a " shitty" trasmission.  when they fail they are very costly to repair.. but far from shitty in performance or failure rate

In 2006 I bought a brand new 350 dually. The same week I made a trip to flat tops Colorado and had 2 injectors go out ruining the engine.

You can ask any mechanic and they will tell you Fords have more issues than any other manufacturer. It's got nothing to do with hating its just fact.

I have a buddy that had a nasty dually. Don't remember who did the work but it had a twin turbo setup with something like 900 horses and 2,000 ft lbs of torque. It was a dodge but had some type of Cat motor put in it.

Funny because every mechanic I know, will tell you the exact opposite.  When you can show me some fact, I will believe you.

the allison is far from a " shitty" trasmission.  when they fail they are very costly to repair.. but far from shitty in performance or failure rate

i know 3 different ppl with duramaxes. 2 of them pull horse trailers (not to often) and the other guy has it built a little for racing (big tune, exhaust, ect)  all 3 are having majorrr tranny problems.  From what iv personally seen, the allison is WAYY overrated

They are having issues due to abuse and lack of proper maintenance, simple as that

Every manufacturer has their issues, it always has been and always will be the way it is.  Allison transmissions are far from shitty and have a VERY long standing record as being some of the best transmissions that can be put in large trucks like semi's, cement mixers, end dumps, etc.  My uncle has owned his own sand/gravel/concrete business since 1968 and if he's buying something that has an automatic tranny in it (like a cement truck) he won't even consider it unless it has an Allison in it.  Most of the problems people have with the Allison's in the Chevy's are due to how they drive it and getting the performance mods done without having the shift timing adjusted.  The transmissions that are in the light trucks are built lighter than they are in the big trucks.  They're still very tough, but have inherent weaknesses from the downsizing and as long as they're respected last without many problems.  I know a couple of guys who have 2500's making around 800hp set up for sled pulling and quite literally blew up their transmissions on more than one occasion before realizing the stock programming was shifting at the wrong time.  Once that was reprogrammed they've been running the same transmissions (albeit with a few internal upgrades) going on the third season this year with nary another issue.  Stock just wasn't meant for that kind of increase in HP, nothing stock built is from any manufacturer.

I'm not well versed in diesel performance, but I do love watching a well tuned diesel do work.  I can imagine that every one of them has issues that if correctly identified and addressed will allow them to perform at peak performance with minimal maintenance.  Though it seems like people tend to forget that no matter what it is, once it's been modified to perform more it will require more maintenance, period.  It all depends on the kinds of modifications and how extreme they are.

Just my .02 and it's not worth 1/100th of that.

just makes me mad when ppl come in my threads all like.... well if it was a chevy, that wouldnt have happened lol  my fuel system is a AIRDOG, not FORD. the motor on the pump is AIRDOG so therefore its AIRDOGS fault, not fords haha ppl cant seem to understand that so i just gave up. Its almost pointless to make post because all ppl are going to do is bash my truck for being a ford. weather because they had ONE bad experence with a ford product, or jus the fact that they cant afford something like iv got, there gonna bash it.

Funny because every mechanic I know, will tell you the exact opposite.  When you can show me some fact, I will believe you.

On our company Ford Bucket trucks, the problems that we've been having is the Liners in the fuel tanks were deteriating (comming apart) and messing up the injectors. Didn't seem to cause any problems for the fuel pumps ...

Several of the trucks had to have the fuel tanks replaced ...

soooo now its a money thing? lol

I have 12 diesel trucks.... all of them break down. I have Cats, a Detroit, Internationals - Powertsoke, and Duramax's.

My Duramax's have had the worst injector problem out of all of them, just terrible honestly. International has the worst computer or electronic issues and nickel and dime you to death, the Cats have been best but once they get blow by its over with. No repairing that. All of them cost money to run.

I could go get a new diesel truck when I want, nothing out there wants me to replace my truck right now. The new Fords are the best looking HD truck on the road right now IMO. The new Dodges absolutely suck ass in Fuel Mileage, the Chevys are just ugly and I don't want one. I feel like the old 5.9 inline 6 Dodge could be one of the best motors but they had issues too and needed money put into certain areas to make them that way too, problem is the trucks are just butt ass ugly.

Working for the state and with local barn builders gave me some insight on those diesels. Ford and dodge are usually the most robust. Chevy's are often really cheep to build up.

And something I have slooooowly come to realise that only has my anecdotal evidence from knowing people all around the nation. Fords seem to be popular and less problematic in colder climates like up here in the north. Chevy seems to rule the south. GM products may just be more tolerant of hotter conditions, and Ford focuses on colder climates. Either by accident or otherwise.

And finally if you do ANY modifications, you can't completely blame the mfg. Some drivetrains handle tuning better than others and some that are invincible when stock shit the bed when fucked with.