Sign in to follow this  
cvt7RR

Leviathan III VDRV Light? (And first impression)

Just bought my first, brand new, amplifier today (all my amplifiers were always second-hand). The ZED Audio Leviathan III. I have one question I need to find out about it. There is a little orange light inside that lights up when I raise the volume up on my deck (Pioneer 80PRS). The letters "VDRV" is written next to the light. I tried looking around online to understand what it is, but can't find any information on it. 

Is it by chance to signal when the upper rail is turned on in the amplifier to produce more power? Or does it have to do with the strength of the signal coming out the deck entering the amplifier? 

--->

First impressions of the amplifier:
The build quality of the amplifier is nothing but professional. The size of the amplifier shocked me when I first got it. It really is 'small' for its power. Then there was how well it was packaged. Came in a plain white box, so my $7000TT (Trinidad And Tobago dollars) wasn't spent on fancy graphics on a box. When I opened it, the amp was held tight inside with some kind of packaging foam (no way the amplifier could shift around). Then there is the horribly scratched up plexi glass cover. Oh wait... That's just the plastic protector on the revealing plexi glass. When you look inside this amplifier, there is PLENTY to see. It would be a shame to not show it off. Next is the feel of it. It felt heavy; made with some high quality materials. No plastic cosmetic junk to ruin its professional look. The crossover knobs felt of really high quality such that with age, it wouldn't make any 'scratchy' noises when you adjust them. I love this amplifier so much, from just the first impressions, that when I was using it to build my amplifier rack, I left it inside the plastic bag it came with. I can't wait to unleash this amplifier and hear its main focus, THE SOUND!

Small issues I had:
Due to the nature of my install, I am forced to mount this amplifier upside down. Anyone who has these amplifiers will know when I am going with this. That wonderful looking "ZED" lights inside the amplifier is now upside down. sad.png . (My friends now refer to 'her' as Dez). I know it's a stupid issue, and shouldn't even bother mentioning it. But the only reason it's bothering me, is because it's such a big feature on this amplifier and I had to mount it upside down. I don't blame ZED Audio, and they should not even consider this an issue. 

The other issue I had is again with the "ZED" light. It's seriously bright. I had it playing on my backseat in my pickup while I was driving home tonight and my entire van was bright blue. laugh.png . I wish it had something to vary the intensity. Most people would like that it's this bright though. Shows that they used the best materials when they were building it. 

Just bought my first, brand new, amplifier today (all my amplifiers were always second-hand). The ZED Audio Leviathan III. I have one question I need to find out about it. There is a little orange light inside that lights up when I raise the volume up on my deck (Pioneer 80PRS). The letters "VDRV" is written next to the light. I tried looking around online to understand what it is, but can't find any information on it. 

Is it by chance to signal when the upper rail is turned on in the amplifier to produce more power? Or does it have to do with the strength of the signal coming out the deck entering the amplifier? 

--->

First impressions of the amplifier:

The build quality of the amplifier is nothing but professional. The size of the amplifier shocked me when I first got it. It really is 'small' for its power. Then there was how well it was packaged. Came in a plain white box, so my $7000TT (Trinidad And Tobago dollars) wasn't spent on fancy graphics on a box. When I opened it, the amp was held tight inside with some kind of packaging foam (no way the amplifier could shift around). Then there is the horribly scratched up plexi glass cover. Oh wait... That's just the plastic protector on the revealing plexi glass. When you look inside this amplifier, there is PLENTY to see. It would be a shame to not show it off. Next is the feel of it. It felt heavy; made with some high quality materials. No plastic cosmetic junk to ruin its professional look. The crossover knobs felt of really high quality such that with age, it wouldn't make any 'scratchy' noises when you adjust them. I love this amplifier so much, from just the first impressions, that when I was using it to build my amplifier rack, I left it inside the plastic bag it came with. I can't wait to unleash this amplifier and hear its main focus, THE SOUND!

Small issues I had:

Due to the nature of my install, I am forced to mount this amplifier upside down. Anyone who has these amplifiers will know when I am going with this. That wonderful looking "ZED" lights inside the amplifier is now upside down. sad.png . (My friends now refer to 'her' as Dez). I know it's a stupid issue, and shouldn't even bother mentioning it. But the only reason it's bothering me, is because it's such a big feature on this amplifier and I had to mount it upside down. I don't blame ZED Audio, and they should not even consider this an issue. 

The other issue I had is again with the "ZED" light. It's seriously bright. I had it playing on my backseat in my pickup while I was driving home tonight and my entire van was bright blue. laugh.png . I wish it had something to vary the intensity. Most people would like that it's this bright though. Shows that they used the best materials when they were building it. 

glad you and your friends like it.... shame about the install though.... the casing is excellent on the ZED amps

glad you and your friends like it.... shame about the install though.... the casing is excellent on the ZED amps

Yea. Everyone really hyped up to hear it play. Not much people in my country have these amplifiers. And if I'm correct in saying, the very few who do (like 5 in total) are SQ guys. I may be the first here to be using this amp for a street beater system. Plan is to make it loud, but focus on quality. Want my music to sound 'rich' (no pun intended) and clean. Nice crisp highs, vocals I can listen to for hours, midbass to match and well, bass not only to shake the road itself when I'm ready, but to blend in with everything when I'm just driving around.

Hey thanks. I could really get a set of these. Will order a pack and try it later on. Got to focus on saving for other equipment first. 

As for the VDRV light. Still need to understand what that means...

Nice! I've always been interested in Zed-made amplifiers.. As far as that indicator light question, have you tried to contact Zed directly?

Yea. Everyone really hyped up to hear it play. Not much people in my country have these amplifiers. And if I'm correct in saying, the very few who do (like 5 in total) are SQ guys. I may be the first here to be using this amp for a street beater system. Plan is to make it loud, but focus on quality. Want my music to sound 'rich' (no pun intended) and clean. Nice crisp highs, vocals I can listen to for hours, midbass to match and well, bass not only to shake the road itself when I'm ready, but to blend in with everything when I'm just driving around.

Hey thanks. I could really get a set of these. Will order a pack and try it later on. Got to focus on saving for other equipment first.

As for the VDRV light. Still need to understand what that means...

I'd assume its the drive gate for the mosfets

Would be funny to see a night time picture with the van lit up. :)

There is a build here with a guy who had a few of the mono blocks with the ZED Led's in them and it was seriously blinding, lol.

my minotour does the same thing, I talked to mr mantz myself and he said that it does have something to do with the railvoltage during high power passages...but nothing malfunctioning inside the amp...more of an indecator led...if you really take the time to read the manual,you will learn a great deal about amps and also how amps should be properly used and how NOT TO BREAK AN AMP for years of service......

my minotour does the same thing, I talked to mr mantz myself and he said that it does have something to do with the railvoltage during high power passages...but nothing malfunctioning inside the amp...more of an indecator led...if you really take the time to read the manual,you will learn a great deal about amps and also how amps should be properly used and how NOT TO BREAK AN AMP for years of service......

VERY SMART ENGINEER!

Great write up. I sure do love mine. The light is extremely bright lol. I have no problem with it though. 

My brother always used ZED powered amps now i know why. He always talked very fond of these amps. The guy who builds these must be very well known. The ZED amps are way past my time but i wouldnt mind getting my hands on one just to see what it can do.

(you must be of great knowledge to fully appreciate the masterful build quality and electronic zen of a zed amp my child).........lolbow28.gif

This makes sense. I had a feeling it was something to do with the rails turning on. I'm gonna talk to the dealer here and make sure. Thanks for the info. I don't have my mids set-up yet. Once I get everything installed, I will make a build thread and share it.

Would be funny to see a night time picture with the van lit up. smile.png

Pics coming up:

Somehow the bright light was messing with my phone camera and the ZED logo was duplicated. Hence the reason for the logo on my finger. Found it to be quite cool. 

IMG_7372_zpsf474c7b9.jpg

Front of vehicle

IMG_7375_zps982e3fb6.jpg

In the back resting on my seat

IMG_7383_zps6b67d462.jpg

lord you werent lying with the brightness HA

damn... maybe i should buy about 40 of them and get my own underbody kit and massive soundstage all at once

Imagine having two zeds in the back.....pic coming! stay tuned

Inquired about it. I was assured its no prob..lol

Just a differential in voltage when pulling for the big stuff.

Im waiting for my damn Minotaur right now