I bought my SP415 dual 2 ohm back in October and received it in November and after only 5 months of use, the foam surround is ripped. I can't seem to figure out how this could have happened so any input would be great. Also curious if this is covered by FI's warranty. But here's the setup:

-1999 Grand Prix GT Sedan

-FI SP415 dual 2 ohm wired to 1 ohm. No spaced spider and no cooling (daily use, didn't see the need)

-AQ2200d tuned to 2100 watts RMS using a multimeter

-DIYMA oversized 0awg CCA power (appx. 22') and ground (3') with a 200 amp circuit breaker near the battery

-Optima Yellow Top

-Ohio Generators HO Alt (its an older model but I had them test it and it puts out a minimum of 165 amps and max of 234 amps, and with a smaller pulley it idles at about 200 amps)

-Box is appx 4.02 usable cubic feet (after displacement) with sub mounted up and 6" Aeroport entering the cabin

-Polk PA660 powering (2) 5.25 Alpine Type S and (2) 6x9 Alpine Type S

The electrical is all solid and nothing was rubbing on the sub so how could this happen? The only thing that I could think of is if there were some goofy pressures in the box that were created..but any help is much appreciated. 

pics?

normaly that is cause from over exursion of the woofer. but i cant belive that  somthing else did'nt fail first.....

i have seen this before in woofers that had too much spider movement and not enough surround to back up that moation.. hope this is not the case.

email sales@ficaraudio.com

I shot sales@ an email today so I'm waiting to hear back from them. Trying to get a picture up but can't seem to figure it out, makes me feel pretty dumb but it seems like it'll only post a picture from the internet (URL) or from "my media" which I can't figure out. Help?

Subsonic filter is the problem..playing it below tuning yanks the surround past the mechanical limitations and shreds it right at the bond joint on the end of the cone.

It's kind of like bending a pop top back and forth on a coke can all the way. You can bend it within its mechanical limitations and it will never break, when you start yanking on things is when it falls apart and snaps.

Recone the sub, turn the subsonic filter up more on the amp and keep riding.

Subsonic filter is the problem..playing it below tuning yanks the surround past the mechanical limitations and shreds it right at the bond joint on the end of the cone.

It's kind of like bending a pop top back and forth on a coke can all the way. You can bend it within its mechanical limitations and it will never break, when you start yanking on things is when it falls apart and snaps.

Recone the sub, turn the subsonic filter up more on the amp and keep riding.

I just had a friend come over and peek at it too and he literally just said the same thing about the subsonic filter. I thought I had it set right but indeed, I had it set at like 15 Hz or so. The next question is where to get the recone done..

Can you do the recone yourself? It is quite easy.

SSF settings are set according to application, not a rule of thumb via a few hz below tuning.

Get a test tone a lot lower than your tuning.

If you are tuned to 32hz, lets say get a 20-24hz test tone.

Turn your SSF ALL THE WAY UP.

Turn your stereo to it's max playable volume.

Gradually turn the SSf back down until you either do not want the sub to move any more or it starts bottoming out which you would then turn it back up slightly and stop.

You may need 2-3 people since it looks like yours is in the trunk and i strongly suggest not to be playing solid test tones at full output for more than a few seconds once excursion is near peaked out.

Can you do the recone yourself? It is quite easy.

I've never done a recone before but I am looking into it. I will do anything to not have to ship the sub since that's so damn expensive.

SSF settings are set according to application, not a rule of thumb via a few hz below tuning.

Get a test tone a lot lower than your tuning.

If you are tuned to 32hz, lets say get a 20-24hz test tone.

Turn your SSF ALL THE WAY UP.

Turn your stereo to it's max playable volume.

Gradually turn the SSf back down until you either do not want the sub to move any more or it starts bottoming out which you would then turn it back up slightly and stop.

You may need 2-3 people since it looks like yours is in the trunk and i strongly suggest not to be playing solid test tones at full output for more than a few seconds once excursion is near peaked out.

Once the recone is done I'll definitely make sure to do it the right way. 

Thanks to everyone for all the help! Winter is almost done so i hope to have it back and kickin before it gets warm

Hate to tell ya but i doubt it man..

I'm in KY, lot further south than you and winter isn't almost done here... 

When it starts getting into the solid 70s here, you still got about a month to go, hehe.

Hate to tell ya but i doubt it man..

I'm in KY, lot further south than you and winter isn't almost done here... 

When it starts getting into the solid 70s here, you still got about a month to go, hehe.

Hahaha, no joke. "First day of Spring" is next week...pshhh

Could something like this work? The internals should be fine right?

If the woofer still works fine other than the surround I don't see why you would need a whole recone. Try just sealing the tear with amazing goop, and raising your ssf.

Get a tube of amazing goop or E-6000 from walmart/home depot etc.

Your best bet is going to be putting tape on the inside edge of the surround (green masking tape) and rubbing the glue up on the back side of the edge and let it dry over night.  Next day you can repeat the same process on the inside until you can afford to do a recone..that should patch it together, albeit not the greatest looking thing...it'l get you back in the road.

The surrounds aren't available, you have to do a complete recone. The cone bodies / surrounds are purchased together.

eBay sells a ton of high quality foam surrounds (and even more shitty ones) that will fit on the SP415. When your engine needs a new gasket you don't go and buy a new engine, you just fix the part that needs it. Although the foam surround is not genuine Fi, foam surround is foam surround as long as it can handle the massive movement.

Not all surrounds are created equally...

A piston might be a piston..but if you don't get the right rings for it it'l never seal in the block, never make compression..and never fire :)

I wouldn't waste my money ordering something that's not intended for it.

A piston might be a piston..but if you don't get the right rings for it it'l never seal in the block, never make compression..and never fire smile.png

A piston might be a piston..but if you don't get the right rings for it it'l never seal in the block, never make compression..and never fire smile.png

What do you know? You don't work for Fi.

:D

eBay sells a ton of high quality foam surrounds (and even more shitty ones) that will fit on the SP415. When your engine needs a new gasket you don't go and buy a new engine, you just fix the part that needs it. Although the foam surround is not genuine Fi, foam surround is foam surround as long as it can handle the massive movement.

There's more to a surround than simply the material it's made of.

Honestly, the part where the big hole is has signs of something (from your car) rubbing there.  Once that happens, the rest tears itself apart easily.  I have seen this a ton of times...

Honestly, the part where the big hole is has signs of something (from your car) rubbing there. Once that happens, the rest tears itself apart easily. I have seen this a ton of times...

I know it looks like it is (the clearance was very tight. I had to assemble the sub to the box in the trunk which was extremely tricky) but I checked multiple times for anything touching. The only thing that was close was the foam enclosure I installed around the 6x9s to help the speaker handle the pressures from the sub (which I had to cut out as you can see in the picture). But I'm 98% positive that it wasn't rubbing on anything