Billetproof97'

Should I buy audio equipment in germany?

I Wasn't sure where to stick this, so I thought this would be the best place. Admins please feel free to move if need be. Im wanting to buy some audio equipment when my tax return comes in. Maybe 3 12's or a big 15, and a nice sized amp to power them to 1,500Watts. Problem is Im overseas in germany for the army and im guessing shipping would he outragous for a nice stereo setup from the states. Ive google searched and found some audio places local to me that Im going to check out this weekend to see what they have. and theres even a "home depot" like store down the street to where i can buy MDF board (knock on wood *pun intended*, ive only seen the place havent had the chance to go in just passed by on patrol one night) what do you guys think? Should I take the plunge and see what these germany audio companys have to offer? Or is the US the ones who do it bigger, louder, better than these foreigners?

Germans have good engineering it wouldnt surprise me if they have some good high end stuff. Let us know check stuff out ask for the highest end stuff and then compare prices quality rating and whatnot.

Doesn't b2 audio come out of Germany?

Honestly, you get good shipping rates to APO addresses, through USPS. 

Generally, stuff sold here (Europe) is more expensive, which is exactly the reason why I have a TON of gear bought from the US, even though I'm not in the military so I don't have cheap shipping. 

B2 is out of Denmark.

It wouldnt hurt to look around and see what you can get over there. There may even be a bunch of smaller companies that most of us just wouldnt hear about.

Small companies are not popular here and they are usually oriented at SQ snobs. 

For instance, a few years ago a set of Seas CA18RNX's were cheaper to import from the US than to buy from Germany :) 

B2 is out of Denmark.

It wouldnt hurt to look around and see what you can get over there. There may even be a bunch of smaller companies that most of us just wouldnt hear about.

Thanks for clearing that up. Wasnt sure, I knew it was from Europe somewhere lol

i believe ground zero is out of germany they make massive woofers and amplifiers so if i were you i would look into them

Isn't MB Quart products made in germany? not much of there new stuff is too fantastic though, but seems decent quality. heard a few of their speakers.

Isn't MB Quart products made in germany? not much of there new stuff is too fantastic though, but seems decent quality. heard a few of their speakers.

15+ years ago.  Not anymore.

Alrighty. so after work at 1700 I had the chance to go to a local shop called cool cars here in bamberg, germany. folks there are nice and the guy I was talking to seemed pretty smart on the audio scene. Language barrier sucked though. I asked him what the top of the line subwoofer he had in stock and he directed me to a Helix SPXL 12' at first I was like "meh" but then he was like wait let me pick it up for you. as soon as I saw the whole sub it looks like a beast in person. the guy explained its got a 4 inch voice coil. the thing looked very well built. the price was kinda steep though. 499 euro out the door no taxes. for just one... holy smokes thats expensive. I managed to find some specs on the subwoofer though for those intrested. pictures are online. I took two pictures of it. but it doesnt really show its size. Im not really that knowledgeable with subs in gerneral. but this one is nice. opinions very much welcomed. he also said rainbow, gladen, GL were pretty common, and good subs, amps. they also said they could get anything from america here. the shop had alpine HU, and some cadence amps, and DD subs. but If it comes to that I will just order it myself to save shipping costs. The weekend starts early for me tomorrow so I shall see if I can find another audio store near or around me. also adrian D are you in germany? also hope i dont get warned about the sub i posted. Im just really curious on this subwoofer. Im not advertizing this subwoofer in any way, shape, form.

Brandon

Brand:          Helix             Trade name:          SPXL 12 Competition             Subwoofer type:          speaker             Main speaker dimensions:          300 mm             Rated power (4 Ohm):          1500 W             Maximum power:          3000 W             Impedance:          2 Ohm             
  • 12“ diamond cuting aluminum basket
  • 3 x 100 Oz magnet
  • Top plate: 210 x 12 x 105.4 mm chromed
  • T-plate: 210 x 25 x 98.8 ? 85 mm chromed
  • Voice coil: 4“ (aluminum cable bathed in copper) flat voice coil, effective height: 57.5mm, total height: 100mm, black aluminum framework.
  • Cone: Non-pressed paper and woven cone, rubber edge.
  • Gasket: Diamong cuting aluminum gasket.
  • Spider: Two layers nomex spider, 2pcs.

Don't buy any German equipment, it is all extremely over-priced, even if you can use a VAT form.

You can get everything for the stateside price via APO shipping, as long as each item is under 75 pounds...

Praktiker an Toom both sell 3/4" (19mm) MDF.  I bought probably 20 sheets while I was there.

I just got back from 4 years there and was ordering monthly, I sold a lot of gear to the Germans...

Don't buy any German stuff(!)

Don't buy any German equipment, it is all extremely over-priced, even if you can use a VAT form.

You can get everything for the stateside price via APO shipping, as long as each item is under 75 pounds...

Praktiker an Toom both sell 3/4" (19mm) MDF.  I bought probably 20 sheets while I was there.

I just got back from 4 years there and was ordering monthly, I sold a lot of gear to the Germans...

Don't buy any German stuff(!)

lol... I like the final warning at the end.... lmao!

Nein, WAY too much $$$ per util.

I'm not in Germany but I'm close enough to know the whole market. 

IMHO that sub is a good sub but I feel Helix stuff is way over-priced. They are made in the same factory as Mach5. Jinlenda I guess, look for any sub with pink glue on the motor, same build house as the SPXL

Thankyou will do. I think I will stick to buying from america. 500 euro's for a 12 is a bit overpriced. Its a nice subwoofer though.

whrere are you stationed ? I live close to geilenkirchen 

Im stationed in bamberg

too bad .....thats a  long drive from here

Haha i bet! Glad to see some audio guys here in germany that can speak english ha