Lschevy

nice sounding 6.5's for under $200

Sounds like Kicker or Memphis.

We can't help if "ok" is the response. If you don't know what you like you are really way better off picking with your ears.

I've learned to listen to my ears. Screw what others say as far as brands. Advise on deadening/installing is something else

I've had a few different component setups. I've never been happy with any of them. They never sound the same in your car as they do in a demo room. I got a lot of help from guys like M5 on this forum and went active with home audio speakers. Now my main complaint is that most of my mp3's are low quality and sound like crap. You can't base your decision completely on internet opinion. Everyone has a different preference, so keep auditioning mids. Maybe see if anyone is local to you and willing to demo.

how much sense did it make to have high end speakers in both front and rear doors in a truck? I said the Memphis and kicker components was ok sounding cause you can compare them to some pioneers, and that is not the sound I want

People set EQ's differently too. So that can drastically change the sound. A co-owner of a local shop dropped some serious coin on some Beyma mids and highs. Sounded great when it was all flat. He EQ'd them and I thought it sounded like shit. He loved it though. 

A decent set of comps can go a long way...

how much sense did it make to have high end speakers in both front and rear doors in a truck?

Zero

how much sense did it make to have high end speakers in both front and rear doors in a truck?

Zero
I been going back and forth on that since I made the thread.. so if I was to have something like hertz for my front stage and something with less quality in the back, would that be some sort of a conflict in sound? That's why I was going with two lower budget components. Edited by LsChevy

It makes no sense what so ever to have any speaker period in the rear of a vehicle.

Exactly. Even if this was a Suburban, being a pickup it is even more useless.

Interesting thread. Why are speakers in the rear of a vehicle useless? Im sure the sound waves play a part?

Bc 99.9999999% of music is stereophonic not quadraphonic.

I guess I would just spend more on the front stage.. And just some decent full range speakers for the rear

Every since i decided to change the 6.5 speakers in my truck and been goin back and fourth on what should I put in the front and rear doors.The sound I'm looking for is something loud, efficient and keep it clarity when I crank the volume. Midbass and the ability to take power is a big thing for me also. i been reading a lot of different threads and these are the most recommended so here are some components that I'm interested in...

1.Jbl p660-Lots of reviews but nothing negative
2.Re Audio xxx-very good but to big
3.Hertz Hi energy165-only con is the price
4.Sundown sa comps-not to many reviews
5.Morel tempo 6-loud but tweeters not so good
6.Alpine type x-no reviews
7.Focal 165-not to many reviews but good

There is only one review you should take note of and that is the fact that rears are useless.  The rest of what you see are subjective responses to something someone owns.  I would take all reviews with a grain of salt and instead go use your own ears.  If you can't find them all then just buy what you can listen to and like.

buddy has a pair of polk 6.5db components and im running the polk 6.5mm components same setup style and its very hard to hear the difference. Mine get a little louder but not that noticeable.

my 2cent on the subject about the price various performance aspect.

Edited by Dictator

There is only one review you should take note of and that is the fact that rears are useless.  The rest of what you see are subjective responses to something someone owns.  I would take all reviews with a grain of salt and instead go use your own ears.  If you can't find them all then just buy what you can listen to and like.

well in your opinion what are a good set of components for $450 or under

well in your opinion what are a good set of components for $450 or under
My opinion and your reality won't match. I haven't heard a set of components that do it for me and would run active. In particular if that were my budget.

If you really want opinions, which through my experience isn't really that helpful, I like the way the Hertz sound and for the price type R Alpines sounded good to me, but they may sound like shit to you. I also liked my Boston Acoustics. My ears opinion does you no good though because your ears hear differently and your vehicle is different than mine so the same comps will sound completely different in yours than mine. 

Whatever you decide with your front stage, ditch the rears. It seems like rear speakers might make the sound more full, but it really confuses and complicates the sound stage. I would notice that when I moved my head in the car for any reason everything got really confusing to my ears, especially if I leaned my head back into my head rest. all of a sudden I would be pulled into the back seat. It was so dramatic. Like I was sticking my head in a room listening to one system then turning around and listening to a completely different system in another room. I didn't like it. too confusing. I ditched the rears and am much happier. My $0.2 based on my ears and my experience. Quite subjective isn't it? ;)

that fullness is achievable with a properly installed front stage. 

If you get a chance to audition some SA-6.5CS components take a listen. They are very smooth with a very flat response. Customer feedback has been very positive on them so far :)

I've been really happy with my Hertz HSK's for what its worth, the install sucks (havent had time to deaden properly yet) and yet they still sound amazing and everyone who hears them loves them. They are loud, clear and detailed but also a warm sound to them more than a harsh response.

A few weeks ago I heard the local shop's SQ demo vehicle with all Hertz and Audison and it had a set of $1100 Hertz MLK's in it. They were amazingly clear and loud but too bright and harsh in my opinion compared to my HSK's. My ears hurt for an hour or two after and felt like they were bleeding after 2 minutes in it. (but it was crazy clear and very detailled)

I was able to listen to the focal performance series and the moral tempo 6... they both sound amazing

I've come to learn 2 things.

1. What someone thinks sounds awesome another person thinks it sounds like crap.

2. Install and processing make all the difference. I'm willing to bet a handful of people on here could buy some raw drivers from parts express and outperform a lot of component systems 5x the price.

only high end components that i was to listen to was the morel tempo 6 and the focal IS165 both sound amazingly clear and its a $20 difference the two. I wish i was able to listen to the sundown sa comps. but no one around here has them and its no dealer