Mike Hutcheson

Mrmeatwad's 07 Saturn ion DD build

Ok guys and gals, I have a 07 Saturn ion daily driver. Over the next few months I'm going to post pics and videos (hopfully) of what I got why I got it, and my reasoning behind my choices.

ATM I have on order a fully loaded 15 FI BL dual two. Which looks like it will be awhile before it shows up which is good for me, got plenty of time to get everything installed and ready for the arrival.

received a few goodies today to get started.

H/U I got a KENWOOD Dpx300U it's a dual din receiver to match my oem style.

4 Infinity Kappas 62.11i They are 6 1/2 2ohm 2 ways 75 watt rms. should sound pretty good or at least I hope.

Powering them with a mtx thunder 75.4 100 watt rms @2ohm should be a good match. Picked up a kicker zck4 the reason I bought this 4awg kit, it comes with the Full- Spec hyper flex power cable. Full spec wire is the only thing I will be using in my car, including when i do the Big 3.

You will read and read on people debating over cca, full spec, and welding wire on forums, there is a video on youtube doing a volt and temp test on cca vs full spec running 14.4 constant for ten mins video speaks for itself. Short version cca couldn't deliver the 14.4v and got upto 100 degrees full spec kept the voltage up and if I recall got only around 45 degrees. You get what you pay for... IMO welding wire is better than cca since it is true copper, and with that said any of the multi strands full spec cables are better than welding wire @ same awg of course.

Signal cables I got two sets of kicker z2 and a set of street wires for mono amp.

Last few items I need to purchase

Mono amp, going to order a Cresnendo bass clef 2000d. Going to run the fi @ 1ohm plenty of amp. Reason why, price is decent,power is there, built for lower voltage cars like my little 4 cyc. (Oem alt is a 120amp tho,reason why is the oem battery is in the trunk?) and I can upgrade my sub without having to buy another amp.

Battery choice the Xs3400 looks like it will be my choice, if a second one is needed 3100 for backup. Doubt if I need it, or hope I don't...

I guess that is it for now any thoughts or comments are welcome this is my first build, I'm doing it all myself including enclosure which I haven't totally figured that problem out yet..

How did you conclude that welding wire is inferior to car audio OFC wire?

He's comparing welding wire to cca. That's why he's saying it's better.

Reread and comprehend.

Reread and comprehend.

Full spec = car audio ofc??? I'm not sure if that's what he means.

"You get what you pay for... IMO welding wire is better than cca since it is true copper, and with that said any of the multi strands full spec cables are better than welding wire @ same awg of course."

That's what I was going by ^^

These are just my opions, from the research I have done. I rate the different cables cca welding then full spec, why I say full spec is better than a welding wire... Is the strand count. More strands more electrodes can travel the line of cable without getting bunched up which causes heat and voltage drop. That last statement is not just my opion but a fact, don't get me wrong welding wire is a good choice, I'm just choosing something better and something that is ment for my application... Welding wire is ment for applications that are involving up too 600 volts, when you have a source that can put out 600 plus volts your really not worrying about voltage drop, compared to a 12 volt system with a long power run every bit counts in my book... Hope that makes sense... As stated before these are my opions, I highly recommend everyone to do the research on the items they are looking to use and make up your own decision between cost,reliability, and quality of the product you are looking to buy.... In a nut shell I work hard for my money, rather treat myself than cheat myself on my choices,

Side note... I am in no way bashing any purchases or choices anyone makes with their auto system, at the end of the day you got what you paid for.

personally i dont like aluminum wire. as you said it gets very hot and potentially melts the jacket. i switched from cca to full spec. and it still got really really hot. then i went to welding cable and there was no problems. not only did it not get hot. it was able to deliver more ground from the chasis to my amplifier and keep it running. The amp i had was an audiopipe 3000.1d. They are voltage hogs. so the cable had to be a better grade and welding cable seemed to work best for me. all in all its in your preference. i have 2g welding cable on my ground as apposed to CCA or Full spec. It doesn't even get hot and keeps my amp running. But whatever your poison. Make sure its not gonna cost you money in the end. Id rather spend a lot of money once than a lot of money multiple times.

I was really excited thinking DD stood 4 digital designs.....

and welding cable's flaw is its jacket

it is not made to withstand freezing and extreme heat that comes with a car

this may be true although I have had no issues with it. It is ran right beside my motor and has never melted or caused me any issues other than being a pain to get into a fuse holder haha

this may be true although I have had no issues with it. It is ran right beside my motor and has never melted or caused me any issues other than being a pain to get into a fuse holder haha

Same here, no problem with external temps with the welding cable.

WOW glad you told us that because I have been using it since 1987! Guess I have been lucky all those years?

Welding cable is fine with the elements. Mobile welding trucks have to endure just about every element thrown at them, and the cables last for years.