Shogen

2003 Camry sitting too low

I saw someone already has a similar thread... I currently have about 250-300lbs of audio related items in the trunk and it sits almost an inch above the rear tire...

Pic:

20121116_144355.jpg

Mechanic wasn't really too helpful, when he was doing a brake job he casually said it would be like $900 to fix the issue without really checking it... I was watching through the glass partition while they worked.... 

Any of you mechanics out there work on this car model? what would that typically cost??? I'm not currently using my system because there is a huge drop and difference in height... people always flash their high-beams at me cuz when I drive the lights are almost pointed in their face I guess... also NYC driving with the system in is scary, as soon as I hit a big enough pothole or even on uneven highway pavement the car kinda scrapes when going the speed limit, forget about keeping up with traffic.... help???

Was talking to Sean and Phil earlier....

Sean thinks its more so an issue of blown/old suspension and he might be right but I'm more concerned with costs.... 

Phil mentioned air bag lift kits.... but my car isn't compatible

Someone else mentioned this site that does "reinforced" springs that are stock replacements or lowered .... The can make it so the springs handle more weight.  www.COILSPRINGS.com

Any other tips.... I was thinking of doing what Sean suggested.... getting replacement shocks and lowering springs for the whole car.... obviously my biggest concern with that is installation costs but would I most likely be okay?

install costs should be no higher than 180-300.

Springs would lower labor cost.

if using a HD spring, they need to make sure your strut has a base strong and large enough to support a beefier spring.

Air is typically what will fix it everytime.

Lowering springs will, lol, lower it.

Coil-overs will.. lower ir.

You need either some sort of fully air supported air suspension or part air, part spring.

install costs should be no higher than 180-300.

Springs would lower labor cost.

if using a HD spring, they need to make sure your strut has a base strong and large enough to support a beefier spring.

Air is typically what will fix it everytime.

Lowering springs will, lol, lower it.

Coil-overs will.. lower ir.

You need either some sort of fully air supported air suspension or part air, part spring.

so you don't think replacing the shocks and and getting new springs stock or lowering could fix this issue? Ive been told many times the stock should be able to handle my install and a bit more 100% ... but I obviously don't know much about it

i wouldnt get lowering springs.. that would be counter productive.

IF your stock suspension is bad, then replacing with new stock replacement would help.

How would a mechanic not know? seriously.. 

Take it to a suspension or chassis shop.  They would be the ones to talk to.

I had 560lbs of extra weight in my car for my first wall on stock suspension and the fenderwell just started covering the top of the tire but i never bottomed out, i had mcpherson struts.

Now, i have bottomed out in this car with leaking air about 45times so far but talking with shop, it's nothing to worry.

The exhaust has taken the hit everytime but is still fully functional.

I like going air because it's more DIY and you can replace the entire suspension on site without any special tools.

The way i had the shop install mine is i can remove and replace my entire air suspension from the outside of the vehicle so i could build my wall as wide and deep as i wanted to coverting the strut towers all i wanted to without worry.

Unfortunately I probably couldn't afford to do air.... but I'll look at doing the front AND rear shocks/mounts .... and take some time to think about doing lowering vs stock springs... I know it sounds counter productive but with the new shocks shouldn't really be an issue as I have seen many of my car lowered with systems but I can't say what was part of their suspension install and whatever.... sooo we'll see, have to save money and sell my equipment to fund this work as I am just finally about to start working again in April..... 

i wouldnt get lowering springs.. that would be counter productive.

IF your stock suspension is bad, then replacing with new stock replacement would help.

How would a mechanic not know? seriously.. 

Take it to a suspension or chassis shop.  They would be the ones to talk to.

I had 560lbs of extra weight in my car for my first wall on stock suspension and the fenderwell just started covering the top of the tire but i never bottomed out, i had mcpherson struts.

Now, i have bottomed out in this car with leaking air about 45times so far but talking with shop, it's nothing to worry.

The exhaust has taken the hit everytime but is still fully functional.

I like going air because it's more DIY and you can replace the entire suspension on site without any special tools.

The way i had the shop install mine is i can remove and replace my entire air suspension from the outside of the vehicle so i could build my wall as wide and deep as i wanted to coverting the strut towers all i wanted to without worry.

Ok.. this is the part that i do not understand...

You cannot afford air?

Air cost less than springs do... or should i say when comparing lowering springs.

Over 90% of all air bags cost under $100 per wheel.

Ok.. this is the part that i do not understand...

You cannot afford air?

Air cost less than springs do... or should i say when comparing lowering springs.

Over 90% of all air bags cost under $100 per wheel.

I have not seen air bags for $100 that work for my car.... My car doesn't have any emptiness to put the bags in my springs... so I'm not so sure this is true for me

on top of that... the added cost of get a compressor and maintenance when driving in the areas I drive may not be the right move for me... I don't live in an area or drive in areas with roads in great condition.... NYC is where I am at 50% of the time and the streets are horrible and there is always uneven pavement from construction going on...

well, you do not need compressor, tank and all that if it's just to support weight.

I have mine setup to just manually air if i have to and carry around a typical 12v air compressor for emergencies.

You do not look for bags for your car, hehe.

You look at custom installation because.. this is custom.

Firestone makes bags that will work fine for your car for around $85 per bag.

If you wanted to go crazy, you could get some Slam Specialties but that's like saying you are putting in around 2000lbs of extra weight for daily driving, lol and they are still around $100 per bag.

I just looked up your car and see several strut replacement systems for only about $100 per wheel too.

So, imo, i would not go with air and stick with good o struts.

If you are going to keep the car do a complete system. Springs, Shocks and Sway Bars

Accuair makes a kit that will work with your car but it maybe a tad expensive. If the car isn't sitting rediculously low, I would drop the front and put a nice set of wheels. If not ,then air would be the way to go.

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/Toyota/Camry/111A50469A50614A0A17A84A1.aspx

Youtube vid

Edited by R3dt34rz

well, you do not need compressor, tank and all that if it's just to support weight.

I have mine setup to just manually air if i have to and carry around a typical 12v air compressor for emergencies.

You do not look for bags for your car, hehe.

You look at custom installation because.. this is custom.

Firestone makes bags that will work fine for your car for around $85 per bag.

If you wanted to go crazy, you could get some Slam Specialties but that's like saying you are putting in around 2000lbs of extra weight for daily driving, lol and they are still around $100 per bag.

I just looked up your car and see several strut replacement systems for only about $100 per wheel too.

So, imo, i would not go with air and stick with good o struts.

the sound of "custom" work means more money for install than product.... and wouldn't the reliability of the standard shock/struts/springs be better ???? not knocking down the idea but for me this sounds and looks to be more money for things I cannot work on with my own tools.... 

If you are going to keep the car do a complete system. Springs, Shocks and Sway Bars

The way things are going this is going to have to last me for some time.... so yea I'm thinking of doing it all since I cannot afford multiple trips to the mechanic for the next part to have an issue... I've found most of the parts but I need to get quotes from local places for install... the mechanic I've gone to I'm not liking too much right now and he seems like he is trying to fish for more money... he recently did brakes for me cuz he said the pads I had were cracked causing the constant and annoying squealing when I would brake... the noise has come back in less than 2 weeks and somehow he is telling me my fcking calipers are bad... why would he not have noticed this the last time??? so he says I'll clean up the rotors to get rid of the sounds for now and should be fine for a bit but we need to replace the calipers... I leave and in 3 days the sound is back with a fcking vengeance .. I'm gonna go into his shop and record the whole convo next time and go to another of their garages and see if I get the same BS and then check with a different garage all together after that

Check Rockauto for parts. Might help you save some money.

Thanks Neal... sometimes wish I went to school for auto mechanics .... I hate paying assholes to do work on my car only to have them tell me something else is causing it after they suggested the original repair to fix the described issue... WTF with these money hungry assholes... I'm willing to pay but fix the fcking problem.... SMH at this shyt bro... 

well, at the end, i did suggest struts over air because of the cheap cost of strut replacements.. but for total cost..

I had new mounting plates welded in place, 2 brand new air bags installed, new lines, schrader valves and stems installed and extra fitting in case of leaks for $650 installed from one of the largest shops in the US who competes in many hydraulic shows around this country.  Their labor charge was $55 per hr.

And for tools.. all you need for my car is a hydraulic jack, 1 socket wrench and 2 smaller wrenches to replace both bags and valves and stems on the side of the road.  

You can also check out partsgeek.com. I live in ny and they are pretty quick with shipping and its free shipping for most stuff. I would stick with struts and shocks and not lower your car especially if you driving in the city half the time. I've been told that if lower your car it adds stress on te rest of you suspension if you don't upgrade that as well but I'm not definite on that. Maybe someone could chime in as I'm alittle curious myself if that's true.

Thanks Neal... sometimes wish I went to school for auto mechanics .... I hate paying assholes to do work on my car only to have them tell me something else is causing it after they suggested the original repair to fix the described issue... WTF with these money hungry assholes... I'm willing to pay but fix the fcking problem.... SMH at this shyt bro... 

If you lived closer, I could do the work for you and get you a good deal on parts.

Thanks Neal... sometimes wish I went to school for auto mechanics .... I hate paying arsehos to do work on my car only to have them tell me something else is causing it after they suggested the original repair to fix the described issue... WTF with these money hungry arsehos... I'm willing to pay but fix the fcking problem.... SMH at this shyt bro... 

Too bad you aren't closer, Id have no problem helping you replace your suspension.  $900 Seems steep to replace a rear suspension, especially in a shop environment with a lift/ air tools etc... I'd definitely take it to a few more mechanics and shop around for a better price

not everyone will agree, but just get some of those coil spring boosters from the autoparts store.. only like 10$ any little shop shoud be able to install them in a couple minutes for cheap

not everyone will agree, but just get some of those coil spring boosters from the autoparts store.. only like 10$ any little shop shoud be able to install them in a couple minutes for cheap

Depends how bad of shape his suspension really is in I guess, not really good to put bandaids on a suspension can make for a bad accident 

I had looked at those too..... but not the best idea since I think my shocks are fcked anyway... 

If you lived closer, I could do the work for you and get you a good deal on parts.

Too bad you aren't closer, Id have no problem helping you replace your suspension.  $900 Seems steep to replace a rear suspension, especially in a shop environment with a lift/ air tools etc... I'd definitely take it to a few more mechanics and shop around for a better price

Honestly once I have the money for parts... I'd be willing to drive a distance and meet fellow members in the process.... I do appreciate the offers a ton and might try to take advantage of the offers.... Especially since you guys are part of the SSA fam.... I'm looking at rock auto as I type this to get a general idea for parts costs... 

someone in ur town just won the powerball so go borrow some money and come out and meet us all, :)