EdMan71

excursion room

How much room do I need to have between bottom of box to the floor of truck? I am building a downfiring sealed box (may go ported with 10's) for crewcab chevy. I have just right at 3.0 ft^3 airspace after displacement which is exactly what is called for for the 12" Fi Q (x2) if I have the legs on the box at 1.75". I just needed to know how much room to clear sub.

Thanks in Advance!

Edited by EdMan71

Are they flush mounted?

No. The reason is they have 7" mounting depth, so having to be careful not to get them too high in box. Since I have about 7.25" to work with.

I was needing how much do they come out past baffle and excursion room to determine how long to make box "legs". Currently they are 1.75" which is what I see some of the prefab boxex are. Just really didn't seam enough.

I would give it about an inch and a half from the subs surround.

So add an inch and half to the height from the mdf to top of surround.

Do you happen to know how high the surround is from baffle?

So just to clarify, height of subs surround plus 1.5".

No I don't but you can just take a tape measure and measure how high the bottom of the rubber gasket, where it touches the baffle, and see how high it is. Then add 1.5".

I have not ordered subs yet. I was hoping someone could tell me so I can finalize box and fully decide on sub. Thanks for input.

I'd say build legs about 3.5 inches off the baffle. Better safe than sorry.

Yea..id give it at least 2 inches... with it down firing..you MAY exceed the normal xMax distance being that gravity will be in your favor..although it wont make it exceed it by an amount thats worth worrying about. Id still give it at least 2 inches. If the port is downfiring as well then obviously you shoulud have more space to allow for optimum air flow

Sounds good. I was still wondering what the length is from baffle to surround, so that I could mock uo box to get a more accurate measure on mounting depth.

In a perfect world at least 3" from the max excursion point. Exactly why I upfired in my Silverado. Picked a spot in the seat that was hollow and gained tons of space. Didn't get the floor loading, but I'd classically eq that out anyways since my listening preferences are to have no frequencies exaggerated.

Saw the title and got excited.

Saw the title and got excited.

same

M5, do you have any issues with upfiring. I'm sure tempted to also upfire, but read alot and most think downfire is the was to go. Just difficult to get much over 2-3" room from baffle to floor. I think with upfire I could gain over an inch of depth. I am leaning towards XCON's but 7.25" mounting depth really cutting it close, esp to have 2" past surround to floor. Still trying to get a measurement from baffle to surround. Looks to be like .5-.75" or so.

Excursion Room, there, I said it again, for those who enjoy the title! haha

Thanks for input