SpeakerBoy

PSI Custom 15's - Any good?

Can anyone who has had experience using, or heard firsthand, any PSI custom built subs give any pros or cons about them?

For the price, I like what they claim, i've never heard one in person however. 

I've seen stuff here and there, but I really don't put much faith in many other forums word; this is my home forum smile.png

So out of practice posting;

My bad, to be more specific, I was eyeing up a set of Platform 2 15's.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

where have you been guy!?

PSI uses cheap soft parts.. many people have problems with the spiders going soft quickly leaving a saggy sub.

where have you been guy!?

PSI uses cheap soft parts.. many people have problems with the spiders going soft quickly leaving a saggy sub.

Nothing worse then saggy subs.Lol

I've been trying to keep myself out of the dumps; life doesn't play nice sometimes sad.png 
I moved to Indiana, thinking about getting into school for some papers to hang on the wall in an audio shop one day ;)

Darn, PSI looked so promising, all the options they offer. 
Could I request something specific in the suspension? Or are they like that across the board?

do they post ts parameters? last i've seen they smash some bullshit together and sell it. i'd rather get some "big brand" shit then their so called custom subs.  

Edited by lithium

T/S Parameters for standard Platform 3 15":
Revc = 1.5 or 3.0 ohms
Fms = 30.8 Hz
Qes = 0.42
Qms = 1.34
Qts = 0.32
Sd = 823cm^2
Vas = 101.3 L
BL = 22.5
Mms = 272.3 g
Sensitivity = 90.86 dB @1W/1m
Sensitivity = 91.126 dB @2.83Vrms/1m
Xmax = 60mm total
Usable Excursion = 3" total

Product Dimensions:
Overall diameter - 15.5" w/ gasket
Cutout Diameter - 14.125"
Mounting Depth - 8.75"
Displacement in enclosure - .24 ft^3
Weight - 66 lbs

I'd pass.

Well, I liked PSI for the options they offered, sounds like I was right, too good to be true.

I just want four 15" somethings to go in a Blazer, that don't need an assload of power; but won't fizzle out if I feed them more.

I'm genuinely poor, but luckily my friends won't let me starve due to my audio problems; I'd like to keep it at or under $1,000 for the four.

I'm also open to 12's and 18's, but 18's would likely have to be clamshelled, and I don't have enough experience to do that by myself.
But I am after SPL, and learning is always fun.

I'm tired of small thrift shop speakers; time to move up a notch.

Fi 15" SSD subs.

Well, I liked PSI for the options they offered, sounds like I was right, too good to be true.

I just want four 15" somethings to go in a Blazer, that don't need an assload of power; but won't fizzle out if I feed them more.

I'm genuinely poor, but luckily my friends won't let me starve due to my audio problems; I'd like to keep it at or under $1,000 for the four.

I'm also open to 12's and 18's, but 18's would likely have to be clamshelled, and I don't have enough experience to do that by myself.

What do you mean by a ass load of power? 4k?

four 15" DCONs, something that doesnt need a lot of power and can get loud

four 15" DCONs, something that doesnt need a lot of power and can get loud

I would like to se a build like that to see what it could do!

Dcons fo sheezy.

Dcons fo sheezy.

We dont know what he means by low power.eek5wavey.gif

Fi 15" SSD subs.

this ... or even BLs???? under $1000 just for subs???

Dcons fo sheezy.

im going to go out on a limb and say Dcons lol.. hes an old memeber and  unless he has changed in a HUGE way..  when he says low power he means low power.

not picking on ya chris. but im guessing you mean 3K or less.

Dcons fo sheezy.

im going to go out on a limb and say Dcons lol.. hes an old memeber and  unless he has changed in a HUGE way..  when he says low power he means low power.

not picking on ya chris. but im guessing you mean 3K or less.

SA-15's could be a good choice!

Or the Gcons. Maybe be a little over budget. OA are also an option too. That's if you mean ~3k for low power.

4 15 Dcons would be cool ;)

I'm happy with my Obsidian's, and they're cheap.

Any sub that is heavy on the low end, and does not stretch too much beyond a grand for four, is an excellent candidate.

I like my slowed music. 

Jon is absolutely right. I am a tinkerer, and I am never mad about having room to upgrade; so I start low.

1-2k rms is about what i'd opt to feed them, but I want room to double up on that in the future.

My end goal is low and loud; I smile when I imagine people bailing out of -my- car smile.png

This is my first major endeavor, so i'm not about to noob it up. I have been taking notes and drawing out ideas for a while now.

What do you guys thinks about Obsidian Audio?

I'm hoping to avenge my reputation around here somewhat ;) 

We'll see how it plays out. Still in the planning stage for now, but we shall see.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

Any sub that is heavy on the low end, and does not stretch too much beyond a grand for four, is an excellent candidate.

I like my slowed music. 

2k rms is about what i'd opt to feed them, but I want room to double up on that in the future.

What do you guys thinks about Obsidian Audio?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLwDYGIczc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4GxdihE_0

Mine are in a 7.5 cuft Enclosure and I'm feeding them just about RMS Wattage and I'm happy with them.

How do the Obsidians sound? I am heavily in favor of SPL; however, my friend's BTL 18's have that choppy sound, that rougher sound I hear more with SPL geared subs, and I am trying to stay away from that. It isn't that they sound bad, not at all. I'm just, picky I guess; it's not a deal breaker, i'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I also have a concern about durability; I know myself, and I like to beat on my toys. 

They are rated for 600w rms, which I am more than satisfied with.

If I ran 1k rms daily to each, provided i'm not a noob and it's nice clean power, would they stress on it? I'm usually pretty fair on the volume, but some days, I just need to vent and my speakers have always been my stress toy.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

How do the Obsidians sound? I am heavily in favor of SPL; however, my friend's BTL 18's have that choppy sound, that rougher sound I hear more with SPL geared subs, and I am trying to stay away from that. 

That is an enclosure/install issue, and not an issue with the sub.

sounds like port turbulence, or port noise 

DCONS > Obsidians