NighthawkFG

PLEASE I need some help with Big 3 upgrade

I'll be getting my 260A alternatir for my 06 civic tomorrow. So I decided to take a look at all that needs to be done and I noticed the alternator charge wire runs into a fuse box, and know I'm unsure how I should run the 0 ga. for the charging wire.

Just run it right to the pos on batt but fuse it with inline fuse holder

You add it, don't remove the factory charge cable.

Add your 1/0 cable and fuse it with 250-300A fuse.

Make sure you add 1-2 ground cables as close to the alt as possible.

I've shown this a million times but if you have extra batteries in the rear to be used for your audio system, it is unecessary to add ground cable to your starting battery.

In the testing i've done, less than 10% of battery capacity comes from the front when the aH capacity in the rear compared to the front was only 300% greater.

The ground cable upgrade to the front battery should only be necessary if it were the only battery in the install.

It's to keep the voltage up on the starting battery but since it's not the primary source of power anymore, it's discharged loads will be small and stock cabling is plenty sufficient.

Already have the 1/0 made up and ready that just through me off . Currently I'm on running one battery but will be getting two more later primarily for audio,

Edited by NighthawkFG

Just leave the stock wire. Add the new 0 ga.

You add it, don't remove the factory charge cable.

Add your 1/0 cable and fuse it with 250-300A fuse.

Make sure you add 1-2 ground cables as close to the alt as possible.

I've shown this a million times but if you have extra batteries in the rear to be used for your audio system, it is unecessary to add ground cable to your starting battery.

In the testing i've done, less than 10% of battery capacity comes from the front when the aH capacity in the rear compared to the front was only 300% greater.

The ground cable upgrade to the front battery should only be necessary if it were the only battery in the install.

It's to keep the voltage up on the starting battery but since it's not the primary source of power anymore, it's discharged loads will be small and stock cabling is plenty sufficient.

I learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing that Shizzzon.

If the front battery doesn't need to be grounded then is it the big 2? 1. Alt pos to front batt pos. 2. Engine block to chassis. 

If what your saying is true then should the alt pos go all the way back to the back batteries? And leaving the stock power wire to the front batt.

Thanks for the quick replies.

No problem man.

No.  IT's still suggested to run to stock first, then to rear second because the starting battery still needs to be charged.

Doing this method still requires less cabling.

Any battery will only pull what it needs so if you had 10,000A worth of alternator and 50 D3100s in the rear, and you passed 100 1/0 cables over the starting battery, it would still only pull 3-8A of current while driving when fully charged.

No.  IT's still suggested to run to stock first, then to rear second because the starting battery still needs to be charged.

Doing this method still requires less cabling.

Any battery will only pull what it needs so if you had 10,000A worth of alternator and 50 D3100s in the rear, and you passed 100 1/0 cables over the starting battery, it would still only pull 3-8A of current while driving when fully charged.

Ohh alright cool.

So that and the ground to chassis? Are you supppose to ground the alt? I've never thought you were suppose to

the big 3-

alt to battery

batt ground to frame

engine ground

The key here is engine ground.

The purpose of engine ground is ALT ground.

If you can get the alt ground(the closest point to the alt casing) grounded to the battery as best as possible, it will maintain the highest voltage capable.

I dont recommend doing this unless it's fully possible but i recently ran ground from the actual mounting bolt to the alt itself to a ground point on the frame which then runs directly to the front battery.

I say unless possible because you must make sure the cable is not in the way of the belt and the bolt is fully tightened having a terminal on it now.

In other typical scenarios, i would attach a bracket to the casing that would allow me to run ground off it.

If i couldnt, i would run multi ground cables from the nearest point of the alt.. which is.. Engine ground.

Okk gotcha thanks alot man!