benbenondatrack

FI Sp4 On Fire.. Warranty?

I saw the video but it doesn't explain what it's intended purposes is. How does it actually function? It only boosts 1 frequency on a certain octave slope?

Secondly do we think there's any reason a recone would not fix it?

If wanted to amplify bass from a source that is weak or does not have an equalizer,

using the bass boost could be acceptable

certain old music and metal has quiet bass too, this boost would also be helpful

in those situations

i have a good deck and 4V pre amps so i feel that i dont need to play much with the source voltage.

the total drop in for a recone is under 200 which is fine but Fi says they are back logged on cones... i get that it might be my mistake and my system but im curious to know what a back log is. if its going to take months just to get a recone i find that unacceptable. im not sure yet as im waiting to hear back but i want to just buy a recone and get this done. could i put a different cone in this basket?

another recone will not work.. you could have one built from another company but i would not suggest it.

it looks like your bass boost was higher then your gain.

but further then that .. i have never ever in my life seen one line of subwoofer in flames as much as i have the SP4 .. this is wild.

funny.. i love FI but god damn this is alot of " user error "  tell me why dont we see the BTL the BL the Q or the SSD the Zcon the X G i cons bursting into flames ?

but further then that .. i have never ever in my life seen one line of subwoofer in flames as much as i have the SP4 .. this is wild.

funny.. i love FI but god damn this is alot of " user error "  tell me why dont we see the BTL the BL the Q or the SSD the Zcon the X G i cons bursting into flames ?

I was thinking the same thing. I have seen people beat the shit out of other high end subs (clipping bad)

cause the sp4 motor is too much for the parts when the user is doing shit he/she shouldn't

I had this same setup and amp on a bl18 with out issue. I think I may try and trade the basket plus cash for some other 18. My f*** up with the settings but something catches on fire I don't feel like it should happen. and a recone that take just as long to get as another sub I'm just not terribly happy with fi right now.

Or myself for that matter.

8 subs flaming out of ~1300 is a lot?

.65318%?

6 of them flamed on sundown 3000/3500, 1 on an american bass amp which was the start of this thread, now 1 on a zx 2500.

Every single install has had bass boost on, or has set things up wrong and over driven the amplifier...1292 subs out there with no issues..

People burn the tinsel leads completely up on the other subs and catch them on fire as well, same issues. When they recone and dial things in right..nothing is ever heard of them again.

You can't fix a loose nut behind a knob.

I had this same setup and amp on a bl18 with out issue. I think I may try and trade the basket plus cash for some other 18. My f*** up with the settings but something catches on fire I don't feel like it should happen. and a recone that take just as long to get as another sub I'm just not terribly happy with fi right now.

We can work you a deal on a recone, I emailed you earlier explaining that we have no extra cones right now until we hear from our vendor as to when they will be arriving. I also said I would let you know when I know.

Odds are we can come up with a recone kit for you, I just have to have a date so I can tell you when.

It's not a warranty situation nor is it our fault, we don't want you to be mad by any means, but whoever set the amplifier up had absolutely no idea what they were doing.

If that amp was set up on a BL like that, you were extremely lucky you didn't burn it up as well.

Regardless of what speaker you put in there..if you put it in there with that set up how it is right now you're going to have similar results. Speakers are stupid, they do what you tell them to do in the environment that you place them in.

You can't go do a car dealer, buy a new car, wrap it around a telephone pole, and expect the dealer to say 'oh sorry that pole jumped out infront of you, here is a brand new car on our dime'. There would be no car dealerships - which is why you have insurance companies that you pay premiums for every month to protect you from something happening. Sadly, there are no speaker insurance companies..if there were they would be out of business quickly :).

i understand the frustrations on warranty issues and customers breaking there products. I work in apartment management and deal with tenants damage deposits, there friends breaking our buildings, court room bickering about why we have to pay to fix what they broke and how they are not responsible for anything in there lives... i understand and experience the frustrations on both sides of this equation all the time.

sigh, i am pissed that ive had systems installed and setup for years in my trucks, at home, and on my computer. ive learned mostly by trial and error and i thought i had a better handle on audio systems than it appears i did. im pissed that i just got my amp back after some jack a** broke it by stealing from me and next thing i blow up a sub that i could have prevented had i known a bit more.

more than anything i just want to get the system working again so i can feel like i have finished this project rather than leaving it open. and i still need to test this amp again to see if it got messed up at all. 

i understand the frustrations on warranty issues and customers breaking there products. I work in apartment management and deal with tenants damage deposits, there friends breaking our buildings, court room bickering about why we have to pay to fix what they broke and how they are not responsible for anything in there lives... i understand and experience the frustrations on both sides of this equation all the time.

sigh, i am pissed that ive had systems installed and setup for years in my trucks, at home, and on my computer. ive learned mostly by trial and error and i thought i had a better handle on audio systems than it appears i did. im pissed that i just got my amp back after some jack a** broke it by stealing from me and next thing i blow up a sub that i could have prevented had i known a bit more.

more than anything i just want to get the system working again so i can feel like i have finished this project rather than leaving it open. and i still need to test this amp again to see if it got messed up at all. 

Well here's one way to look at it.

There are two methods of learning.

Reading and memorizing, or experience.

Reading a memorizing teaches you theory, but nor ptactical application.

Experience teaches you how things work when certain conditions are met. In order to fully understand theory, you must experience it. You experienced it, just in a less forgiving way thn you would have liked. Now you know that bass boost will fry shit more often than not. Expensive lesson to learn, but at least it was just the sub and not the whole damn car.

J

that blows man..hopefully it gets covered

through out my life i prefer to learn from experience. i do not learn well from only reading

We can work you a deal on a recone, I emailed you earlier explaining that we have no extra cones right now until we hear from our vendor as to when they will be arriving. I also said I would let you know when I know.

Odds are we can come up with a recone kit for you, I just have to have a date so I can tell you when.

It's not a warranty situation nor is it our fault, we don't want you to be mad by any means, but whoever set the amplifier up had absolutely no idea what they were doing.

If that amp was set up on a BL like that, you were extremely lucky you didn't burn it up as well.

Regardless of what speaker you put in there..if you put it in there with that set up how it is right now you're going to have similar results. Speakers are stupid, they do what you tell them to do in the environment that you place them in.

You can't go do a car dealer, buy a new car, wrap it around a telephone pole, and expect the dealer to say 'oh sorry that pole jumped out infront of you, here is a brand new car on our dime'. There would be no car dealerships - which is why you have insurance companies that you pay premiums for every month to protect you from something happening. Sadly, there are no speaker insurance companies..if there were they would be out of business quickly smile.png.

im pretty sure you know what my email is (i assume you work at Fi), if you happen to find a recone kit or know of an ETA let me know. im uncertain if i should order the recone now or wait on it.

Stang I'm curious of a couple things if you might have the info handy please sir.

If you have the info could you please let me know on the follow on SP4, Evil, and XSv2?

# Layers of windings.

Wind height.

Winding thickness. 

Inductance.

I understand if you don't have them all. Just a test I'm trying to conduct is all.

so i found a great site that goes into extreme detail on the bass boost thing. http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

from playing the sample audio files i now know that the sound i thought was a loose screw or tools rattling along side my box was actually the sub clipping the signal. it was quite extreme as well as it was so loud i thought it was rattling parts.

This thread is a goddamn shame! I really hope this motivates guys to invest in a fire extinguisher. I would really be heartbroken to hear of someone's car going up in flames (and that goes for any setup really).

This thread is a goddamn shame! I really hope this motivates guys to invest in a fire extinguisher. I would really be heartbroken to hear of someone's car going up in flames (and that goes for any setup really).

no, the shame comes from inexperience and novice kids or people just thinking they can throw a huge amp on a sub just because they see other guys doing it then claim it to be the manufacturers fault the damn thing started on fire. its stupid shit like this that pisses me off. experience goes a long way;)

I have four 12 inch FI Qs in my car right now that I have had for 3 years.  I have my two Rockford 2500-1bdcp amps set correctly.  They sound great great and they are still in perfect shape.  They have integrated leads but do not start on fire because I do not push my subs too hard.

Its really a shame when someone like you can not even figure out how to configure an amp correctly, and then tries to blame the manufacture for the problem.  Instead of trying to argue with people on the forums that have tried to give you advice, you need to actually take that advice so you can set your gains correctly. 

I have been running BL 12's since 2011 on Rockford Fosgate 2500bdcp amps and have not had one single problem because I actually took time and setup my system correctly. We really love our gear and its expensive that's why its important to play your system the way its tailored to your setup, not because the guy down the block was throwing 8,000 watts on a sub. I beat the hell out of mine and they only get warm on occasions. I hope with your recone you set it up for your playing preference and enjoy your bass.

i intend to do an overhaul and get things setup different. still trying to understand bits and pieces of the system dynamics.