benbenondatrack

FI Sp4 On Fire.. Warranty?

Hey guys, Im really hoping someone can help me out with this..i purchased a sp4 about 2 months ago,but recently put it in my car 3 days ago as i was waiting until i had everything i needed to run my setup properly.. amp gain was set with an o-scope so no clipping and also radio was under point of clipping also. (amp -sundown saz 3000,cd player pioneer avh-4300, all 0 guage wire (monster) and a 270 amp alt from dc power..and some deka d31 batts.I  pulled up home and after i turned off my car i noticed a smell comiing from my trunk and opened it and heard what sounded like flames burning. there was a lot of smoke coming from my port and it would not stop so i hurried to pull the sub out of the box to find that the spiders were burned very bad and the coils were perfect..Im not sure why this happend but i was wondering if it would be under warrenty.. i am the biggest fi fan in the world but have heard some bad stories about getting help from products failing but i figured i would atleast try.. so any help would be appreciated guys.. thanks

Mms 20130328 2

Mms 20130328

IMG 20130328 002553

IMG 20130328 002548

Sounds more like an abuse problem than a warranty claim to me.

Sounds more like an abuse problem than a warranty claim to me.

i didnt even use it for long how could it be abuse?i drove from my house to wal-mart and back which is about 2 miles away, and as i stated everything was set properly. i have never had this problem with any other sub ever, including the tripple stack 15 i have. 2 xfl 12s,hdc 3 10s,mtx 9500, and a type r 15/12s.. something not right here man..i am very carful with my stuff.. coils are perfect.

2 months ?

Bad luck.

Hope you'll find answers.

gotta love those sandwiched leads morning.gif

2 months ?

Bad luck.

Hope you'll find answers.

yep. wanted to make sure my electrical was up to par before i even ran it..and im confused as to how this could happen to the sp4 and not a tripple stack.. Im not here to bash anyone or be one of those customers calling in saying "your gonna do this" or im going to sue ect.. Im legit just wanting to get some help from the brand and company that i love so much..so i can continue to rep and support fi

according to your proflie you love making music? im  a producer..work with plenty of artist in the industry..

according to your proflie you love making music? im  a producer..work with plenty of artist in the industry..

mrspam.gif

Yeah its a hobby.

Music industry is so saturated right now and with anything its not what you know, but who you know.

http://www.youtube.com/user/djjdnap

You wouldn't happen to have a sister as well would u? lmao j/k

mrspam.gif

Yeah its a hobby.

Music industry is so saturated right now and with anything its not what you know, but who you know.

http://www.youtube.com/user/djjdnap

You wouldn't happen to have a sister as well would u? lmao j/k

lmao

http://www.youtube.com/benbenondatrack  im checking you out aswell

Thats wassup you got to produce for pastor troy.

On this subwoofer issue, the only thing that there gonna tell you to do is buy a recone for it..

http://store.ficaraudio.com/sp4-recone/

Try to see if you can measure DC voltage through the speaker outputs when you are playing a (few) song(s).

Try to see if you can measure DC voltage through the speaker outputs when you are playing a (few) song(s).

what would that prove if i can..the sub did still play but the spider was burned to hell

Looks like you can get the recone with the spacer or without.

Just rip that bitch out.

Box cutter, flat head screwdriver, ect

check the vid on about 17sec to see what the soft parts look like as a whole to give u a better idea

Edited by djjdnap

idk if this matters or not but on the tensils where it has the rubber coating around it (i guess to keep the 2 from touching) mine only had it on 3 out of the 4. not saying that caused the problem but it did catch my attention.

idk if this matters or not but on the tensils where it has the rubber coating around it (i guess to keep the 2 from touching) mine only had it on 3 out of the 4. not saying that caused the problem but it did catch my attention.

if all but 1 had a coating then there's still no way for them to touch each other and short out 

Im not sure about what that post had in it. I have had so many subs man, and this have never happend. and i have seen when a clipped signal cause damage to a sub, it locks up ect, no sound. the damn sub still was working fine, while the spiders were burning man.. it was not because of clipped power, i dont use bass boost and my box is 4 cu tuned to 33 hz and my subsonic filter was at 29 Hz..I just hope that someone here has a good enough heart to do the right thing, and i work in customer service so i know how much it would affect the outlook of the company. I love Fi, no doubt about it. i wish i could run all fi equipment.. and the logo is so damn sick i want to rock a black t shirt with the logo on it lol..but come on guys something was not right with the sub..

Mms 20130328 5

Edited by benbenondatrack

Im not sure about what that post had in it. I have had so many subs man, and this have never happend. and i have seen when a clipped signal cause damage to a sub, it locks up ect, no sound. the damn sub still was working fine, while the spiders were burning man.. it was not because of clipped power, i dont use bass boost and my box is 4 cu tuned to 33 hz and my subsonic filter was at 29 Hz..I just hope that someone here has a good enough heart to do the right thing, and i work in customer service so i know how much it would affect the outlook of the company. I love Fi, no doubt about it. i wish i could run all fi equipment.. and the logo is so damn sick i want to rock a black t shirt with the logo on it lol..but come on guys something was not right with the sub..

you managed to get the tinsel leads so fucking hot that they caught the spider on fire! if the leads were shorting out and arcing that would be different, but like you said, the sub still worked.  Nick (NDMstang65) explains in the thread i linked exactly how you screwed up.

contact Fi they'll probably tell you exactly what nick explained in the tread i posted. thankfully you can just buy a recone. 

if any of the information i've said so far is incorrect i'm sure someone from fi will correct it in this thread. 

Oh lawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

You're gonna have to buy a recone.

Definitely seems like something was wrong with the sub from day one.

based on what? op didn't have any problems until he killed it.

This is definitely user error. There must be something you are leaving out of the story.

What was the ohm load the subs were wired for?

Damn, was told this issue was fixed. Seems like quite a few Fi subs catch fire...I set an N2 on fire. I beat the absolute hell out of them though. I just purchased Sp4s to replace my BTLs. We'll see what happens. I did break tinsels on two of them, coils were always perfect.

Did the UFO Btls have the sandwiched leads? I tortured those with no issues. I'm hard on my equipment, but I'll try to play it a little safe this time.

These sandwiched leads are a "hot" topic around here haha.