benbenondatrack

FI Sp4 On Fire.. Warranty?

All this fire talk reminds me of the early 90's when the HCCA's would go into flames in the lanes.

Well, i guess you could always parallel a PG Psyclone with your sub so if the amp does go bad, you'd still have sound.  It would be your active switching Plan B failsafe.

Well, i guess you could always parallel a PG Psyclone with your sub so if the amp does go bad, you'd still have sound.  It would be your active switching Plan B failsafe.

Good luck finding one, and let us know what happens when that AC motor sees DC current.

We have one in town.  It's in southern Indiana, Jeffersonville.

I guess we'll have to install a relay or something, hehe.

When those amps failed, they failed. Wasn't a oh hey lets throw some DC in the mix then go back to normal. Typically the sound board failed (that's if it was a v1) which happens extremely quickly and the amp shuts down before it cooks anything. I know this first hand. 

I beat the shit out of my ufo BTL's with the stock parts, which I'm not a fan of, but they didn't fail. Still curious as to why other brands with high powered drivers haven't had this issue well enough to raise a stink. Not everyone has a 6000gti inI their back pocket. 99% of people running these high powered subs are running cheap korean  none QC'd amplifiers or Brazilian smoke machines. Usually running way more than "rated" power. 

at the end of the day man, i know its not the amp, it wasnt the gain being set wrong ect. everything was how it should be and i can verify this cause my tripple stack is still working fine. at the end of the day i have to just buy a recone..it sucks that i have to spend even more money but i dont want to pay to ship the sub to them  ect. on top of that i just took the damn cone out and threw it away. no sense in keeping it.i was told by multiple people, even if its not user error, it will be user error..lool. F' It. new D1 Recone coming soon as i can pay for it i guess..

where are you located>?

Well that's interesting because MANY of us are located in Louisville including I

far from

if you want, buy the recone and i'll recone it for a small fee. i'm in louisville as well.

i heard shizz uses his own special glue lol droolcup.gif

The 'most ideal' way I mentioned of doing it before is patented and unavailble.

Who holds the patent, if I may ask?

JL

After following the convo..and seeing this response. DOes this mean that the ONLY way the OP could get a refund in this situation is if he has a JL amp powering the woofer? Because the JL company owns the ONLY patent for proper amplifier design that should never be the cause in a subwoofer catching fire due to poorly filtered frequency?

i heard shizz uses his own special glue lol droolcup.gif

That's right.. and i only apply it to some types of wood too :)

JL

After following the convo..and seeing this response. DOes this mean that the ONLY way the OP could get a refund in this situation is if he has a JL amp powering the woofer? Because the JL company owns the ONLY patent for proper amplifier design that should never be the cause in a subwoofer catching fire due to poorly filtered frequency?

You may have followed the convo, but obviously did not read it. Go back an read it, then see if you still think this is a valid question.

Honestly, very little (if any) information in this thread has been right about amplifier topology and filtering, especially all of the class A/B discussion. 

Too much power was applied to the driver.  Anything else is speculation...

far from

Im from sc, and i just left killeen tx, will be going back..and it if def down south in ky..cause im southern so i make it southern!!

southern_states-new1.gif

Edited by benbenondatrack

How much power was being ran to the sub? OP did you swap your system from another vehicle?

lol fair enough then i guess lol

army? my sister is at hood, finally close to home.

JL

You may have followed the convo, but obviously did not read it. Go back an read it, then see if you still think this is a valid question.

Obviously I DID read it. Which is why I had the question. What was said was that JL has the only specific patent on amp design. That comment stemmed from the discussion that ALL other amplifiers are kissing cousins ..aka they all practicallly share parts which was feeding the arguement that even a trusted manufacturer such as sundown can have a less than ideal parts detail list. Adding to the case of "amp caused fire" If you felt I simply didnt READ than you could have kept your useless comment to yourself. Either that or correct what I did not comprehend from the discussion. I have no problem listening to someone who can point out what I was incorrect about and enlighten me on how i was wrong.

so the tinsel lead design is whats patented? Where'd the heck did i get that from? Guess I didnt read :). So the idea that the amp caused the failure is moot? Or can the Tinsel lead be blamed? Theres so many different factors that could have caused this fire... I dont think its possible to get a refund. I'd just rewire / double check everything and get the recone done.

so the tinsel lead design is whats patented? Where'd the heck did i get that from? Guess I didnt read smile.png. So the idea that the amp caused the failure is moot? Or can the Tinsel lead be blamed? Theres so many different factors that could have caused this fire... I dont think its possible to get a refund. I'd just rewire / double check everything and get the recone done.

You read sort of right..

The JBL Crown amps not JL subs lol

Hope this helps you understand...if you run a Crown A6000Gti you'll

never have a problem...because it's an A/B amp....the other stuff that

is cheap...don't run it below 1ohm or you are going to have nothing but

problems because in order to get that big power cheaply and cut out on

the parts that are going into the amplifier the switching frequency of

the power supply must be ramped way up...in turn microwaving woofer

parts.

Amplifier clipping – What is it? How is it caused and how can we prevent it? What does it

do? We shall deal with each of these topics one at a time.

What is it: Almost everyone assumes that amplifier clipping is the sole domain of power

amplifiers? This is not true. A preamplifier is just as prone to clipping as power amplifiers.

If the level of signal is high enough to cause the preamplifier to clip, the power amplifier

being a faithful servant will just amplify the clipped signal it receives. For the purposes of

this discussion we will assume that our amplifier/preamplifier models use a bi-polar power

supply (as almost all audio electronics does today) and therefore the signal swings from a

level of zero to either the positive or negative supply rails (“rail” is a commonly used term

which we use to describe a power supply output). We shall also assume that the electronic

building blocks are in the form of operational amplifiers WITH negative feedback. Op-amps

as they are called, are TWO input ONE output building blocks. Input is to either positive or

negative ports and feedback is taken from the output and returned to the (-) input. I shall

show the op-amps as in the diagram below even though it is not the standard schematic

symbol for an op-amp.

Note: A power amplifier (that is one which can drive a loudspeaker) is nothing less than

just a high current preamplifier. Preamplifiers can and do run off very high rail (there we go

again with the term “rail”) voltages – they just do not have the capability to source lots of

current.

Low frequency drivers are more tolerant of clipping simply because of their more robust

construction. I have however seen many a woofer damaged through been overloaded on a

continuous basis.

The above discussions have assumed that the waveform is symmetrical about the zero

line. Unfortunately music is not like this. The positive half of the wave may not be the same

as the negative half. As an example let us assume that this is so and that the positive part

of the wave at time zero is larger in amplitude than the negative half. When the amplifier

clips, the area under the positive half is more than the negative half and because square

waves are being generated by the amplifier the DC component on the speaker rail will not

be zero – as it should be.

Remember one fact. DC is a constant voltage. 10 volts positive DC (ref zero) is just that. If

our amplifier was flat to DC and we put in a DC signal the amplifier would simply do it’s job

– amplify and the output at the speaker rail would be a larger replica of the input. AC on the

other hand is just varying DC. A sinewave begins at 0 volts. It rises at a particular rate

(determined by the frequency) to its peak value and then declines to zero and repeats the

same thing below the zero ref line. BUT at any given time during the single cycle of the

sinewave it has an absolute value. The average is zero. A square wave (clipping!!!!) is

similar but not the same. The square wave starts at zero, rises very rapidly to it’s peak

value, stays there for a time (determined by the frequency) and then returns to zero and

the other half of the cycle is below the zero line. The average of course is zero ONLY if the

positive half of the square wave is equal to the negative half.

With music and clipped amplifier the average is not zero and in our example above the

speaker rail will tend to move positive DC for the period of that non symmetrical clipped

wave. DC on a speaker for a sustained period of time (Constant amplifier clipping) will

sustain damage.          ~ZED AUDIO

Edited by djjdnap