benbenondatrack

FI Sp4 On Fire.. Warranty?

lol fair enough then i guess lol

army? my sister is at hood, finally close to home.

i had family in the army but no not at the moment. just my girl and her family from tx, my side from sc but my mom moved to ky. im just here for a few months then back to tx

Holy shit this is a BS over what is obviously a manufacture issue.

The subs caught FIRE in a part of the sub where the no bottle neck and should be no resistance. Something wasn't right.

And, I don't think this is the first SP4 to do this so...............

2nd case I've read about as well. Iunno cartman-unsure.gif

I don't understand how you can say it is a manufacturer issue ?

So i was doing deadlifts yesterday right.

And the more weight i picked up the more my hands hurt.

I put chalk on them to help

After a certain weight my hands couldn't take the stress of the weight.

Regardless of how big i am my weakest link is my grip.

But i'd rather just blame the bar for bending

morning.gif

Looks like you can get the recone with the spacer or without.

Just rip that bitch out.

Box cutter, flat head screwdriver, ect

check the vid on about 17sec to see what the soft parts look like as a whole to give u a better idea

Thats my video! :) yea they are easy to fix!

Holy shit this is a BS over what is obviously a manufacture issue.

The subs caught FIRE in a part of the sub where the no bottle neck and should be no resistance. Something wasn't right.

And, I don't think this is the first SP4 to do this so...............

Not a manufacturing issue..a speaker is an input device, if you do something wrong it smokes and stops working. It only does what you tell it to do in the environment in which you place it in.

It's no different than buying a brand new car..taking it 100mph in 1st gear on the interstate and the engine flies apart..that's not because it is a bad car, or the car had issues. It's because you did not shift to the 4 other gears that the car has. Again, it only does what you tell it to do in the environment in which you place it in.

Feel free to repeat that on ROE as they continue to think you are brushing it off on cheap amps.

Got the link to this thread from a friend. I had the exact same thing happen on Friday to my SP4. Driving home, volume less than halfway and I start smelling something odd. Finally catch something in the corner of my eye and I see the sub in flames through the plexi window of my box. The fire started on one side of the sub, the other leads were perfectly fine. I could be wrong but if the amp was at fault here then both tinsel leads should have burned (or at least shown signs of damage) and the amp wouldn't have still been playing. Yes that's right, my ball of flames was still bumping until I saw it.

Ironic that I am running mine off the same amp as the OP. Gains and everything all set properly and I can't even remember just how many different setups that amp has seen. I need to order a recone too now when I get some cash. Luckily for me as well the amp is still working perfectly fine.

Telling you it's that run of amplifiers that were made when they got crap silica in the mosfets during the shortage when those things were made.

There is no such thing as proper gain setting.  Something threw way to much power at your subs.  It could be a bad amp like ^^ said or anything else down the signal chain...

So it happens to now what we know is 2 confirmed SP4's and no other subs....... but it's the subs fault.... hmmm

id be curious to know how many SP4's Fi has sold. the ratio of fires to sold product would be a pretty clear and definitive answer to the debate.  i get my SP4 perhaps late this month and its going on a ZX2500.1, i think im going to buy a fire extinguisher just in case tho

You should have already invested in a fire extinguisher if you have any type of high(er) powered audio installation. Shit happens.

id be curious to know how many SP4's Fi has sold. the ratio of fires to sold product would be a pretty clear and definitive answer to the debate.  i get my SP4 perhaps late this month and its going on a ZX2500.1, i think im going to buy a fire extinguisher just in case tho

Most people wouldn't pursue getting an amp strong enough to push the max RMS wattage as they've already spend around 500 on a sub. I can see most setups getting stuck with nothing more than a 2k amp. I imagine a lot of people just let the sub sit forever or sell it once they find out the cost of a quality 3k amp to push the thing. 

If the Sundown amplifier is at fault then why aren't we hearing of other installations with this amplifier causing subwoofers to catch fire? I think there are a lot more Sundown SAZ-3000 amplifiers being used on the marker than this particular subwoofer.

i have a local friend and his just went up in flames too

What amp does he have?!

The exact same tinsel lead setup is used on the SMD's..amongst other woofers. There's nothing different there..and they have no issues.

Sounds like anything is possible here. Nick I just have to ask something here out of my own stupidity.

Lets say the amp is at fault here due to bad mosfets. Then can we show other subwoofers having the same problem due to the same amp?

Now lets say it's the Subwoofer. What would cause he subwoofer to do this? Bad tinsel lead construction? Some fluke that takes time to happen? Also, how could the amp cause these fires?

I am just being curious in the quest of knowledge, not trying to stir the pot.

J

Also you mention these leads being used in the SMD subs amongst others. Wouldn't the ability of the materials to last on sub a be different than on sub b?

I mean you can't exactly put race tires on a winter car and expect traction.....things need to be use dependent and I would imagine tinsel leads much like voice coils, cones, magnets, etc are not a 'one size fits all' application.

J

Since no one else is going to mention this, i'll throw this out there.. 

This is talk i've talked with other people about so i'll throw these "ideas" out there to be proven wrong or incorrect hopefully so more of these theories can be laid to rest.. 

#1- tinsel lead installation-

These leads are inside the spider, right?  IF they are.. then wouldn't that reduce the amount of current they can sustain?  Just like with anything, concealed wiring lowers the ampacity of the wire vs running them over the spider.. 

#2- the source of the fire was NOT at a tinsel lead location.. How does that happen?

These 2 things i've seen mentioned in other words in this thread and not in this thread so might as well post it now to strike it down but at least give a reason as to why...

Also you mention these leads being used in the SMD subs amongst others. Wouldn't the ability of the materials to last on sub a be different than on sub b?

I mean you can't exactly put race tires on a winter car and expect traction.....things need to be use dependent and I would imagine tinsel leads much like voice coils, cones, magnets, etc are not a 'one size fits all' application.

J

Exact same spider, exact same tinsel lead, exact same thread.

There's no difference here..

Power is power, watts is watts, which is a measure of heat energy.

You're supposed to have less heat energy (watts) present with an amplifier that does less power..

But people are using other amplifiers, with no issues doubling, even tripling the power on those same tinsel leads.

All subs that are known to have this issue are linked to the same amplifiers...

A speaker is stupid, it does what it is told to do in the environment that it is placed in, including suicide :D

American bass, and the guy is a avid FI fan... he has had BTLs the SP4s the crossfires ...

SP4's and the Crossfires have the same tinsels man..that'd be the first non sundown 3000/3500 d that's killed one...