AXEHAMMER

I think I broke it....please advise

the thing I don't understand is with my ssf ON and set at 28hz, how the fuck did the subs get so much power they bottomed??

Then a ssf set at 28 hz is to low. It should only be a few hertz below 33.

I have no choice. RF t1500bdcp has an on/off switch for 28hz ssf.

the thing I don't understand is with my ssf ON and set at 28hz, how the fuck did the subs get so much power they bottomed??

The rated power is thermal not mechanical.

The rated power is thermal not mechanical.

Excellent point Quentin, had not thought of that in my pity/pissed state. Thanks.

so...the tears im seeing ARE the problem correct? would that lead to that sub moving considerably more at low power?

If the spider has came in glued from the former then yes it will clap. You can play it free air on low power to verify.

If the spider has came in glued from the former then yes it will clap. You can play it free air on low power to verify.

Its just in places as in the pics, but I noticed bulging also where its not tore. I couldn't hear ANY abnormal noise on the bad sub when playing it in box. ill check it free air, but im 99 percent positive its fucked

Also on crossovers - just because it is set at 28hz, doesn't mean everything below that is 100% gone. It just means that is where the crossover slope starts. So it can still play 28hz and below, it is just rolling off at 12 or 24db per octave starting there depending on the crossover. I don't know what the rating on that amp is, I imagine it is at least 12db per octave.

Also on crossovers - just because it is set at 28hz, doesn't mean everything below that is 100% gone. It just means that is where the crossover slope starts. So it can still play 28hz and below, it is just rolling off at 12 or 24db per octave starting there depending on the crossover. I don't know what the rating on that amp is, I imagine it is at least 12db per octave.

The box is going to have roughly a 4th order roll off as well. It takes a lot to damage a high damped driver below tuning. There are plenty of subs out there that take 1,500-3,000 watts to hit xmech free air on a Klippel and show no signs of damage.

The box is going to have roughly a 4th order roll off as well. It takes a lot to damage a high damped driver below tuning. There are plenty of subs out there that take 1,500-3,000 watts to hit xmech free air on a Klippel and show no signs of damage.

Can you explain this Quentin? I don't understand the 4th roll off stuff. Are you saying its surprising the sub is hurt in this way with my ssf and roll off?

also, I have another competition on the 13th. could I get by with glueing those tears up and running it? if it has to be reconed anyway I don't know why not...

if its not miss alighted  then get some expoxy with the mixing nozzle and fix it for now. if it works it works.. if he dont it dont... cant mess it up any more!

if its not miss alighted  then get some expoxy with the mixing nozzle and fix it for now. if it works it works.. if he dont it dont... cant mess it up any more!

I agree completely.  

can anyone recommend a brand so I don't buy the wrong stuff??

Devcon epoxy has worked good for me.

Thanks pm.

And thanks everyone for their thoughts/advice. I am just SO mad at myself and sick to my stomach right now. I shouldn't have had that tone on my usb stick to begin with!

I have to say this tho, for what I put them through I cannot believe that is the only damage done! speaks well for SSA and I appreciate their dedication to building strong subs.

I have NO doubt many of the mainstream subs ive ran would have literally fell apart when that 20hz tone hit.

Does the devcon have a "mixing nozzle" as jon recommended?

also devcon shows many different epoxies. which one am I wanting?

Thanks jon, so im good to go ahead and order what you linked and fill in the tears and hope for the best. correct?

no need to ordered it you can find it local, most auto parts stores, any lowes home depot true value  or mom and mom home repair shop,

Im surprised  something like this hasn't happened to me, I send 22-28 hz full tilt (with some clipping probably) through my dcons all the time... Dcons are just secretly beasts I guess haha. 

Edited by SacredTanakh

and that was the last post before he asked for help about his unloaded subs.

lol

it will happen .

You don't set your SSF according to a rule of thumb, IE- few hz below tuning, because things like this happen.

In all of my competition installs for demoing and daily driving, All SSFs are set mechanically and many of them are set at or way higher than tuning.

since your amp is limited, try and talk yourself into going active in the future, hehe.

Or just find a reason to get a 2\3way BP crossover with subsonic filter on it.

The Harrison Labs one does not allow fine tuning which can easily allow this to happen again.