I just installed my new alternator from Mike Singer which has a smaller pulley then my Jeeps stock alternators pulley   He recommended shortening my serpentine belt by 1" my Jeeps stock length is 88.8", and the closest to this I could find was 87".  I've installed the 87" one and it fits, and no problems are apparent but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this can cause problems later on down the road? with my water pump? ac condenser?

I just emailed Mike asking if this was alright but I figured I'd throw a post up here as well.

the belt is small bc the pulley is smaller.  calculate the circumferences of both pulleys and you'll see why

the belt is small bc the pulley is smaller.  calculate the circumferences of both pulleys and you'll see why

I understand that but I'm asking is if possible to shorten a belt too much? well obviously if its too short it wont fit, but I mean shorten it too much within the range that will still fit.

it will cause no issue..

why would it?  just wondering what you think could cause something to go wrong?

and your a/c condenser is no where on your belt wrap.

did you check your tension  position once the new belt was installed to see if it was in the same position was with the old belt?

it will cause no issue..

why would it?  just wondering what you think could cause something to go wrong?

and your a/c condenser is no where on your belt wrap.

did you check your tension  position once the new belt was installed to see if it was in the same position was with the old belt?

I have a spring tensioner, and maybe I'm just paranoid.  But at any rate better to ask and be positive, then to not ask and deal with more problems.

In my head I see shortening the belt as making everything spin faster which is where my concern was.

your right akways ask if your unsure.. and no sir not so. your fine

No, the only things that will work faster are those with smaller pulleys.   Your alternator would be the only thing in the diagram working faster.. than stock alternator.

In terms of belt size, too small can cause excess wear in the belt and too large can cause belt slip.

From my understanding, periodically look for small shreds of rubber under the hood.  If you never see any, then it should be fine.

Thanks guys definitely eases the mind.  I'll be sure to check under the hood from time to time though.

As long as you can adjust the tensioners so that the belt isn't too tight than I would think it would be fine. If the belt is too tight than it can stress the water pump and tensioner bearings.

The tensioner won't let it get that tight. It will be the first thing to give.