Sign in to follow this  
Doug McCambridge

Strapping amps "quick question"

I currently have two 1ohm stable amps, soon to have my two dual 1ohm subs, I wanna strap my amps to have a final 1ohm load per amp, I understand that that when strapping final load is split in half, so when I wire it, would I wire each sub individually series/parallel so each sub is 2ohm? Just wanna make sure I got this right first time strapping

So basically

Step 1= series/parallel

Step 2= + of each sub to + on master

Step 3= - of each sub to + on slave

Final ohm per amp 1ohm.........I think??

if you have dual ones your only gonna be able to strap at .125 each, .5 each, or 2 ohm each. Since you will be either wired to .25, 1, or 4 ohms.

As he said you have the wrong coils to strap a pair of amps, you really have the wrong coils for those amplifiers period..

If you wanted to run 2 1ohm amplifiers you needed dual 2ohm coils.

if you have dual ones your only gonna be able to strap at .125 each, .5 each, or 2 ohm each. Since you will be either wired to .25, 1, or 4 ohms.

But if I wire each sub individually, it would be 2ohm, per sub, therefore wouldn't that allow me to have the 1ohm load on amps

As in like, one sub + to master + on amp,, jumper wire - to +, then - to slaves + n do that with both subs, wouldn't that give me .5, 2, or 8ohm Final load?

I guess in general to me it would all make sence, as long as the subs "are not" wired in series/parallel "together"

When you strap two 1 ohm stable amps you need a 2 ohm final load, so each amp sees 1 ohm. You cannot get that with 2 Dual 1 ohm subs. As posted above you can get the following.

.25 ohm - Each sub in Parallel = .5 ohm each then Parallel those together = .25 ohm.

1 ohm - Each sub in Parallel = .5 ohm each then Series those together = 1 ohm

1 ohm - Each sub in Series = 2 ohm each then Parallel those together = 1 ohm

4 ohm - Each sub in Series = 2 ohm each then Series together = 4 ohm

Those are your only options with those subs.

1 ohm - Each sub in Series = 2 ohm each then Parallel those together = 1 ohm

That right there would give me my final load of 1ohm, so would that stay at 1 ohm? Or would it split each amp in half at .5?

Or could I do

1 ohm - Each sub in Series = 2 ohm each then just run each sub directly to amp? Without paralleling them "together"

I guess to maybe this will also work, my amps are 1500@1ohm or 950@2ohm is there a way I could get the total wattage of 3k

Edited by douglas12107

The connections at the amps are what is connecting the speakers together. You're stuck with the loads I posted with the subs you've got. So you're either going to run each amp at 2 ohms and get 950 per sub and leave them separate (One amp per sub) or strap them at 4 ohms so each amp sees 2 ohms and get the same 950 per sub.

- The only way to get the full 3k with that setup would be to ditch one sub. You could wire a single sub to both amps for a 2 ohm load so each sees 1 ohm. I doubt you want to do that though. You could also see if someone would trade you for 2 different subs that are Dual 2 ohm.

Edited by Polish

Sign in to follow this