todd.brust

12" Adire Brahma Re-Cone Kit question

Well I have had my Brahma for quite a while, and has been putting off re-coning it.  While inspecting it today, I noticed that the pole isn't perfectly centered so the gap is a bit uneven.  Apparently it has been like that since I have owned it, even while it was previously working. It's not a huge difference, but it is noticeable.  I tried to snap a quick picture I can't get a good one that illustrates how off center it is.

My question is, how much will this affect performance, if at all?  It worked perfectly fine before in this condition.  The only reason it needs a re-cone is because it was re-coned right before Adire closed its doors, and they did a horseshit job.  Spider came unglued all at once and rubbed the coil so bad.  That was after fixing the surround coming unglued as well.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Todd

Fixing the pole would require a good amount of work, Fi would be able to do it without issue.

It worked fine before with the pole as it sits.  Is it nessessary that I fix it, or should I send it in for a repair/recone, and If I had to, How much would that run me?

Have you measured the gap or are you just going by eye measurements?

Just going by eye.  I can tell the gap is off by how much of my finger will slip into the gap as well.  I could probably borrow a caliper from a buddy and get an exact measurement.

My Tumults both had shifted motors, you could see the gap differences.  Eventually the coils started rubbing.  I sent the motors to RE in Vegas,  they threw them away and put new motors on completely new drivers for me.  You can't really fix the motors when they are out of alignment.

If you remember there were alot of people complaining about early gen Tumults (same motor as XXX) making clanking sounds at lower power levels, I think there were definetely issues with the way those motors were so heavy and the way they were built.  Alot were either built wrong or knocked out of alignment in shipping. 

If yours weren't rubbing, there is probably still enough clearance in there to run just fine.  If there isn't, there is not much you can do.

showtimeSPL says there was a problem with the cones, at least on the Brahmas xtreme