staffdd

Scrap old subs for new, or double?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and give advice!

Currently I have 2 SA-12D4's in my car, each ran by a separate MTX 1501d amp. Each sub should be getting about 750 watts at 2 ohms, and is in a 1.75 ^ft ish ported box each (or atleast close). I started with the pair of subs and 1 amp before before adding on the second amp.

Here is my issue. These amps can handle 1 ohm loads and is currently seeing 2; thus the subs are not getting the power they deserve. I am torn between 2 thoughts I'm hoping you can help me out with. Should I replace my 2 current sa-12d4's with the 2 ohm models and really push them, or would I be better off buying 2 more 4 ohm models and adding them to the existing ones? The reason I ask this is because the price of both options is exactly the same.

I am mainly concerned with the difference is spl between the two options.

I am also wondering about box sizes. I know size effects how much power the subs can handle. (I listen to everything, Rock/Country/Dub/rap. Mostly rock)

Option 1: If I go with 2 - 2 ohm dvc models at 1500W each, what size box will benifit me the most? 

Option 2: 4 - 4 ohm dvc models at 750W each, and of course the box size.

Thanks, I've read alot on the subject but wanted to get into specific numbers with replies.

By far I would add 2 more subs. Cone area is king and you will be able to wire each amp lower at 1 ohm which in turn will be more overall power.

Besides, ids rather run 4 at 750w each than 2 at 1500w considering their rms rating.

By far I would add 2 more subs. Cone area is king and you will be able to wire each amp lower at 1 ohm which in turn will be more overall power.

Besides, ids rather run 4 at 750w each than 2 at 1500w considering their rms rating.

cone area is king...but 2.5cubes after port is great also you'll  get the most out of your power!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and give advice!

Currently I have 2 SA-12D4's in my car, each ran by a separate MTX 1501d amp. Each sub should be getting about 750 watts at 2 ohms, and is in a 1.75 ^ft ish ported box each (or atleast close). I started with the pair of subs and 1 amp before before adding on the second amp.

Here is my issue. These amps can handle 1 ohm loads and is currently seeing 2; thus the subs are not getting the power they deserve. I am torn between 2 thoughts I'm hoping you can help me out with. Should I replace my 2 current sa-12d4's with the 2 ohm models and really push them, or would I be better off buying 2 more 4 ohm models and adding them to the existing ones? The reason I ask this is because the price of both options is exactly the same.

I am mainly concerned with the difference is spl between the two options.

I am also wondering about box sizes. I know size effects how much power the subs can handle. (I listen to everything, Rock/Country/Dub/rap. Mostly rock)

Option 1: If I go with 2 - 2 ohm dvc models at 1500W each, what size box will benifit me the most? 

Option 2: 4 - 4 ohm dvc models at 750W each, and of course the box size.

Thanks, I've read alot on the subject but wanted to get into specific numbers with replies.

is this trunk car or suv..how much space can you give up? cause four 12's takes up a good bit ported.

Edited by Dictator

Thanks for the replys,

This is a car, pontiac G6 actually so trunk space is limited. Currently the box I have in now takes up the trunk. To fit more subs in I'll have to rip them out and do some custom fiberglass boxes. It will be tight, but I think it will fit.

The other after thought I had if I cant get 4 in there is to use 3 subs. One amp will push 2 4 ohm dvcs, and the second amp will push a third 2 ohm dvc.

You're all over the place man. Why are you running two amps instead of one at 1 ohm? What are your box specs? 4 12's in a trunk isn't going to happen, at least it won't be ideal at all.

Why not get a 2k amp to power those with instead of running two amps @ 2 ohm per amp, selling the older amps to help pay for the new power house.

That's just my thought on what to do though.

Yes I know I am. I already have the 4 ohm subs and 2 amps. I just wanted more boom I guess. And since I have some room to play, Im contemplating the best route to take. Since 4 subs probably wont fit, Im looking at either replacing the 2 I have with 2  ohm models, or keeping them and adding a third 2 ohm sub. 3 subs would be louder Id think, and be cheaper...

Yes I know I am. I already have the 4 ohm subs and 2 amps. I just wanted more boom I guess. And since I have some room to play, Im contemplating the best route to take. Since 4 subs probably wont fit, Im looking at either replacing the 2 I have with 2  ohm models, or keeping them and adding a third 2 ohm sub. 3 subs would be louder Id think, and be cheaper...

Both of those options will most likely leave you very disappointed.

Box is only 1.7 cubes per sub. I will try a larger box first before trying anything else. Too many options...