i9z4real@yahoo.com

My 12 inch DCON died

After only a year of use on a Crescendo 1000c4 my SSA DCON 12 inch died. =(

Repair dude is trying to charge me 100 for repair/recone and 35 for labor. Nearly the price of a brand new DCON. What do I do.

order a new one or you could get a hold of Aaron and see how much he would charge to sejd you out a recone and you can just do it yourself 

How did you have the dcon wired up? Just get a recone from ssa and do it your self. There are plenty of vids that walk you through it.

First of all, what caused it to fail? Need to figure that out first before you fix it.

It is an s4 DCON and i had it at 500w x2 bridged at 4 ohms or 250w x2 bridged at 8 ohms. I'm not sure, I'm a huge noob and my car audio friend hooked it up for me.

did you have your gain all the way up? 

You should of asked here first lol So you just had it on one of the channels when it was bridged to 4 ohms?

You should of asked here first lol So you just had it on one of the channels when it was bridged to 4 ohms?

Its bridged at either 500 at 4 ohms or 250 at 8 ohms I'm not sure, and the gains are a little less than 3/4 on it.

I'm using the front to channels of the crescendo on some alpine comps I've got up front, and the rear channels bridged to the dcon.

The sub will determine which ohm the amp will bridge at. There is only one way the amp will be bridged with that sub and it's at 4 ohm. It's pretty much impossible to mess up the wiring for a s4 sub so you should be right.

Explain how the sub failed. Did it just stop working when playing it or did it not turn on when you started car? Did it fuck up when a certain song was played?

I'm thinking a heavily clipped song was played (probably not knowingly) and messed the sub up.

what were your settings on the amp? Like ssf and all that.

I would make sure your setting are correct on the amp. As in for the back channels on the sub is the amp set to low pass? If your buddy knows much at all im sure it is, but double check all your amp settings, even post a pic if you need help.

I've got a doctors appointment now, when I get back I'll take pics of the amps set up. And the sub just didn't play when a song came on, it didnt gradually die out like a blown sub or sound like it clipped or anything it just didn't play.

Then def don't get too upset, sounds more like a blown fuse than a sub problem.

It might not even be blown, check your wiring.

If your saying it just didn't play, maybe a wire came loose or something simple. Take the sub out of the box and test with a dmm. If it reads around 4 ohms your good.

Axehammer is correct. The back channels are going to be different than the front due to it being a sub.

Read what Sean posted, very important.  Then check all connections.

Do you know how to use a dmm?

Its connected that was the first thing I checked when it stopped working, and I replaced the fuses as well and it didn't play still.

Well I was wrong about it just NOT working, its been dead for months I forgot that my dcons bass excursion decline at
random times/or turn off then reduced to a what I believe was either just a stable very low volume or completley off. After that process it was completley off and now has no movement whatsoever.

Edited by i9z4real@yahoo.com

My vote is on the amplifier.  

What makes you say that?

Pull the sub out of the enclosure and check our connections inside the enclosure.

The sub is on the 1/2 channels, gain about half, LPF is on and looks like it could be set alright.

The amp doesn't have an SSF so my bet is on overexcursion tearing up the tinsels.