Dexter Chaos

front baffle assembly

I am currently building my first enclosure. When it comes to building the double front baffle should I do choice 1 or 2.

1. Should I glue the two pieces together. Then router my hole for my speaker.

2. Router my two holes. Then glue my boards together.

Thnaks I know this is a simple just trying to make it easier on myself.

I always cut both holes and then glue them together.

I laminate then do them at once.  That way you are assured a symmetrical hole.

I always cut the hole after gluing, but everyone has a different opinion. It doesn't really matter as long as you cut the hole straight and centered.

I always cut both holes and then glue them together.

This was my original plan

This is why I stopped. I felt that is would give me a more symmetrical hole just wasn't sure if there was a better way to completethis part of the build.

If you just take your time ad make sure the measurements for the holes are going to be lined up ten you will be fine. I have had no problems. I always flush mount my subs so I'm not sure how it'd work when they are glued together.

If you just take your time ad make sure the measurements for the holes are going to be lined up ten you will be fine. I have had no problems. I always flush mount my subs so I'm not sure how it'd work when they are glued together.

Well yeah, if your doing flush mount then you pretty much have to. Forgot about that..

I usually cut one baffle, then glue the second on and use a flush trim bit so all holes are equal.

It depends if you are doing a straight double baffle or a flush double baffle. But I line up the 2 pieces then drill my pilot hole for the router. After that I do them separate. Much easier if you are doing a flush mount because you don't have to worry about the plunge depth.

Absolutely. Flush mount is the ONLY method for mounting a driver IMO. While this "can" be done with the baffles separate it is more work and has a larger chance of failure. Glue them up first!

Only thing I can add is make sure your glue is dry so you don't gum up your router.

I screw them together and cut holes then take apart then glue and screw the first piece to box then the second piece on top of that

I screw them together and cut holes then take apart then glue and screw the first piece to box then the second piece on top of that

Out of curiosity why the extra step?

Also can be hard if your flush mount depth isn't a complete board...

Out of curiosity why the extra step?Also can be hard if your flush mount depth isn't a complete board...

Extra step as in not gluing together first? Because gluing and screwing the first .75 inch piece down to the box first always seemed to secure it better to me than screwing a 1.5 inch thick piece to it.... that's just me though

I use a jig so I make the center hole after clamping both together. Then I make the holes separately and finally glue.

Doing flush mount or not this way, it doesn't matter. 

Edited by phi