Garrett Tait

sp4 coil help

hey guys im new to the forum and i have a question. im thinking about ordering a dual 2ohm 15" and wiring it down. my only fear is having my amp go into protect mode. my amp goes into protect at .8 ohm. what do the sp4 15" dual 2 ohm coils actually read. are they actually dual 1.27's  if their re: 1.27 Ohms/coil? even if i wired it down to .635 do you think i'd be okay after box rise? im going to build a daily driver tuned around 28-30hz

500 is a good chunk of change and it would suck if i had to wire it up

http://store.ficaraudio.com/sp415/

thanks for your help guys

Edited by gt58

That is the DCR, you would never see that in reality.

That is the DCR, you would never see that in reality.

so do you know what the coils actually read? im ready to pull the trigger but i'd like to have a solid answer. as long as they read higher than 1.6 i should be okay

fi sp4 15" dual 2 ohm

Impedance is the resistance of the coil over a certain bandwith.. an average. DCR is the reistance of the coil and will vary due to temp, cone movement, etc. If it is a D2 or D1 thats what they will actually be.

If your amplifier is 1 ohm stable, you will be fine.

what amp do you have?

you'll love the sp4. i just got mine put in on a saz-1500 and it gets down i cant wait for more power

ordered it last night, usually whats the turn around time like? im in orange county, a 4 hour drive from vegas so shipping wont be an extra day or two (for the east coast guys) 

when do you think i'll get it, how many days?

you'll love the sp4. i just got mine put in on a saz-1500 and it gets down i cant wait for more power

i know, i cant wait man. i already threw it in winisd and threw my box design in, its lookin like its gonna love the lows!!. because its going in my trunk im going to give it 3.3 cubes (biggest i can possibly fit) and its tuned at 27.9 Hz with plenty of port area

ordered it last night, usually whats the turn around time like? im in orange county, a 4 hour drive from vegas so shipping wont be an extra day or two (for the east coast guys) 

If Fi is backed up it could take months. You'd have to ask though for an accurate answer.

If Fi is backed up it could take months. You'd have to ask though for an accurate answer.

couple of months, like 2-3? i dont mind waiting for a quality sub but if it takes something like 4-6 i'll be nervous that ill never get it lol

;

couple of months, like 2-3? i dont mind waiting for a quality sub but if it takes something like 4-6 i'll be nervous that ill never get it lol

When you get it, you will be happy you waited. :) It shouldn't take more than a month, maybe two.

Sometimes buying used has its advantages. However, there is a great feeling of being the first to apply power too. Those damned decisions lol. I'm sure you will be glad you waited.

great news, i just talked to nick on FB and he said their turnaround time is ~20 business days.

"Right now we're going to be running right at 20 business days. I just came
back to the company on Monday and I'm rapidly trying to get everything
sorted and back in the road running smooth like I had it prior to
leaving. We'll get your order taken care of as fast as we possibly can,
we greatly appreciate the support and your patience with us during this
transition period!

Thanks again!
-Nick"

hopefully ill get it late may!! i guess ill take my time and put serious time and quality into the box :)

I ordered on March 1st... and will lay eyes on it tomorrow finally. The wait isnt bad at all if your patient..and it sounds like you are. But I can say that you wont wait as long as I did, they have new customer service support and i believe they are recovering day by day from being jammed with orders. So if you believe them, then you should be guaranteed to get it before 7 weeks.

Can you upload your WinISD image of the box design? I ordered the 15 sp4..and too have used winISD to calculate box design. Mine is tuned to 29.... Im going to post about it and the enclosure dimensions to get 2nd opinions, b/c when looking around... a lot of ppl have huge port areas. While mine doesnt seem to be as large.

from what i was looking at (as a first time winisd user) the sub would like a lower tuning to have a more flat responce in the 35-45hz range. the f3 of my box is around 23/24 Hz so i know its still going to slam lows. i could have tuned lower, down to 26hz i believe but i still wanted some port area just in case of port noise.  keep in mind i have to slide this in my trunk so im a little tight on space, ill post my box design.

fi sp4 15 d2

3.28 ft^3

27.9 Hz

18 tall 35 wide 17.5 deep

port height 16.5 width 2.75 length 40

woofer disp  .21   extra baffles 1  common port walls 2

i can throw in my cut sheet if you'd like but thats specific to my car's trunk lol

Edited by gt58

Why do you need to tune so low ? 27 Hz ? I'd do 32, or 30 at minimum. It leaves you with more volume for the sub.

I rather have a bigger box and a "higher" tuning than a smaller box with a very low tuning.
I may be wrong, but it's my personal opinion !

Be patient ! All Fi subs I've listened to are really great. They're loud, clean, accurate, and go low if you want them to !

Why do you need to tune so low ? 27 Hz ? I'd do 32, or 30 at minimum. It leaves you with more volume for the sub.

I rather have a bigger box and a "higher" tuning than a smaller box with a very low tuning.

I may be wrong, but it's my personal opinion !

Be patient ! All Fi subs I've listened to are really great. They're loud, clean, accurate, and go low if you want them to !

when i threw it in winisd it was very peaky when i tuned around 32. or atleast what i thought was, this is my first week playing around with the program. ive gone thru a couple tutorials. plus i tune low because i LOVE lows. i had a rockford t1d415 and i was giving it only ~700 rms and i played down to 22 Hz (i cook) and my whole car was FLEXXIN!! haha my last box was tuned at ~ 32hz and it still killed the lows. cant wait for my new woofer and lower tuning! :P