jlresonance

Xcon Prospective Project

Hey guys, 

Hopefully ya'll can give me some help here. I have two 12" JL Audio W6v2 in a sealed box powered by a Big Bang Planet Audio D-CLass 1250.1 x 1 amp. Subs sound good but been having them since 2005 and want to upgrade to something bigger and with more output. I have not heard the Xcons and those are the subs I intend to get. 

I am looking into one 18" or two 15's. They will be powered by the same amp named above, and I will be looking into getting either sub(s) into a Khaotik Ported enclosure. I would have this setup in a 2007 Yukon.

Question: Will I be better, in terms of output,  getting just ONE 18, or TWO 15's?

2nd Question: Do I go with dual 1ohm or Dual 2 ohm?

I would appreciate any help!

Two 15s should be louder. Get dual 1s if your running 1 ohm

Two 15s should be louder. Get dual 1s if your running 1 ohm

x2

Also if your willing to buy another amp a Crescendo 3500 would suit those very nicely.

With that amp consider one sub.

If money is not a problem then get 2 15's and a bigger amp or get one 18 with a better amp. (budget dependent)

Remember, stepping up means upgrade in electrical too, so it's all about budget.

Edited by StreetLegal

its a yukon....STICK two 18's in the back you'll be set for 20years down the road with the X's wanging in the back! 

Edited by Dictator

Why not gent the W6s first? You'll be out only $30 and may be satisfied.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will go ahead with two 15's Xcons rather than just one 18". I will also choose them at Dual 1-ohm.

Looks like SSA doesn't have dual 15" ported box for sale, and you must request that they make you one.

If I do have someone build one it will be tuned to 32 hz. I want to hit the low notes, so if anyone has any feedback or suggestions as to what hz rating I should go with, please feel free to recommend.

Edited by jllow

In that Yukon I would say 8 cubes, 32-33 hz tuning should get you nice and low. You will definitely want more power though.

@ Tyrfryr- I don't think I got your question

Sorry, damn phone got the best of me.  If I were you, I'd build a new vented enlcosure for the W6s before buying new drivers. 

In that Yukon I would say 8 cubes, 32-33 hz tuning should get you nice and low. You will definitely want more power though.

He'll be fine with that amp. 

I agree. He will be good on that amp and down the road should it be time to do an amp upgrade the xcons will unleash even harder :)

Okay I agree with most of what has been said. First port the w6's, if you still aren't happy get an XCON 18. If you don't plan on adding a lot more power, the 18 should be just about as loud and save you ~400 dollars. If you plan on adding power then definitely get the 15's

I also agree with porting the w6's first, then take it from there if needed.

I would port the W6's, however, I forgot to mention that one is going out already (wear and tear). I was initially thinking of just replacing that one with an 12" Xcon, but mixing two different subs may not sound that well, so I just decided to start a new system.

I would port the W6's, however, I forgot to mention that one is going out already (wear and tear). I was initially thinking of just replacing that one with an 12" Xcon, but mixing two different subs may not sound that well, so I just decided to start a new system.

Yeah good decision on not mixing them. Just get a 15 or an 18 and port it, I'm sure that you'll be happy with that.

Yeah good decision on not mixing them. Just get a 15 or an 18 and port it, I'm sure that you'll be happy with that.

I know this is a dumb question, but I have to hear it from someone else. Will one 15 ported get me louder than two ported w6's?

I know this is a dumb question, but I have to hear it from someone else. Will one 15 ported get me louder than two ported w6's?

Those two setups would be fairly close in output.

I loved all the setups I've heared with Xcons.

But if you already have the 2 W6, it would be cheaper to just build a good ported box for them. If you want to change your system, you could always sell the W6 witht the new box easily. Big advantage of running JL in the USA : people know them and love them !

If I had the choice I would take the Xcon for sure ! More power, more output, ...etc

RAM design and DC creation ( is it the right name ?) sell box designs. They are members here. Try to contact them before you build anything. Designs are cheap and you know you won't mess anything.