IgotAleadFoot

Help with Rl-i8s

So I made the switch from one SX12, sealed (scary i know) to two RL-i8s currently sealed in my regular cab truck and need some help getting some more output from the little boogers... my amp is a 81000d and the 8s are D4 wired to 4 ohms to the amp since its unmodded, so I figure about 300 watts a piece on em. The box is sealed right at 1ft^3 net between the 2 seats.

I am not competing or anything just looking for some nice LSQ (which these 8s sound great) but I am hoping that you guys can help me with a box design that will get a lot louder. Would it be possible to use a ported box (maybe using round ports) that has sort of a " T " shape to it, going between the front seats to the back wall and continues behind both seats along the back wall? should I sell one 8 and keep one and port it? or am i just outta luck and not gonna get that much output from some 8s? they seem to want more power, should i mod the amp and run them at 1 ohm? no selling the truck is not an option neither is a blow through.... thanks for any advice!

^^ what he said. I would even feel comfortable using an amp configuration rated for up to 500-600 watts on the RL-i8 for musical purposes. Just listen responsibly, don't crank everything full tilt for extended periods of time, and that should help get e'ry last drop out of those bad boys. A ported box would be stellar as well (from 0.6 - 1.0 cu ft, tuned between 25 - 35 Hz). For in-car use, I would probably stick around the region of 0.65 cu ft, tuned to ~33 Hz.

Would it be alright for me to build a ported box in the " T " shape then? I really dont have room to build regular rectangular a ported box (with 1.3 ft^3, and still shift) between the seats. The box now is almost too tall really. If i use the space behind the seats I would be able to build a box up to ~3ft^3. I dont see why not but just checking to see what you guys think as I am still quite a new guy. Thanks!

edit: i will also see about modding my amp...

Edited by IgotAleadFoot

Depends on the T shape, generically speaking yes but if you really narrow some of it down it won't be the best. I am not really picturing what you are asking to do, but primarily you need to be concerned with the volume.

im no artist but im thinkin somethin like this (maybe somone can help me draw a better mock up)-

BOX.jpg

the seats would be on either side of the horizontal section (where the black circles aka rl-i8s would be). i can calculate the volume of the right side (behind the seats, along the back wall) like a typical wedge box. then add the volume of the other section with the 8s which would be a rectangle shape... i just dont know where i would position the ports or if it matters.... would the shape be a problem with the ports? should i keep it sealed?

anyone else get what im sayin or am i off my rocker? :runlaugh:

I was thinking you could do is the other way around and have the 8's behind the seats and have the port fire up front.

if you have the space under the 8s run a slot port front in front of them to below them, i'd be nervous about having an open port there though

Hard to tell where to recommend ports since the drawing doesn't look proportional. Where do you think you have space for the port.

You really don't need that much more space. My box is 1.3 cf gross. Net it is .9 cf. I have 15 square inches of port and its tuned to 35 hz.

You really don't need that much more space. My box is 1.3 cf gross. Net it is .9 cf. I have 15 square inches of port and its tuned to 35 hz.

waht he said! the rl-i 8 doesn't need huge room....75 to 1ft^3 per sub would be plenty. heck, the rl-i8 in my boys room is in .17ft^3 sealed and it shakes things..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I'd use the part with the subs in it for the port to fit in the box and rear fire the port between the subs also rear firing. get it? It'd be the best imo, especially if you remove the carpet behind the seat and deaden well or use a board as a loading surface ;) good luck...

also, possibly glass the part where the port enclosure attaches to main enclosure to make it a round 90 degree bend inside for airflow and stuff say a 4" aeroport in there :D

waht he said! the rl-i 8 doesn't need huge room....75 to 1ft^3 per sub would be plenty. heck, the rl-i8 in my boys room is in .17ft^3 sealed and it shakes things..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My box is for 2 subs, so they really only need about .4 net per sub to sound really good.

can anyone compare these in output and generally to say a 10w6 v1? Thanks,

T

I don't have any experience with the 10w6, but I know I can fit two or three under my rear seat sealed where 2 of these could go ported... :D . I love ported, so I really would like to get these, but the 10w6 is a clone version and are $70ea on ebay new... so I'm wondering if it'd be close I may just get them because they're cheap lol. sold my soloX 10" money should be here today $225+ shipping :( . oh well thanks

Why not just drop that amp to 1 ohm and be careful with the gain and see what you get. I'm pretty sure that amp will take that load without trouble if you don't push it really hard (It'll go into protection but won't hurt it...all modding does is take out the protection most of the time)

If that doesn't do it I would say port port port and get an amp that does about 800-1kw at either 4 or 1 ohm. What kind of truck is this? I have done many installs in everything from mini's to fullsize single cabs and never had any problem with single 15s (stamped basket) in mazda/ranger/s-10 trucks and dual 12 cast or dual 15 stamped in fullsize chevy/ford/dodge trucks and never hurt the seat movement.

Thomas Jefferson once preached, "Never buy anything because it is cheap."  :+1:

I checked displacment and the 10" has more in cubic inches. SO the real catch is do I want a pair of 10"s or a pair of 8"s to do the same job and just be more impressive with the 8"s for more money... VERY hard one. I want these 8"s as I have a pair of 2+ 8"s I should fix that bumped when they were working... but for the money lol. it's hard to beat the 3 10"s. I could sell one of them to recoupe some cash too... man... then there will be more posts of me want RL-i 8"s when someone brings it up and we all know you like the attention :P lol. so I'm torn...

Why not just drop that amp to 1 ohm and be careful with the gain and see what you get.  I'm pretty sure that amp will take that load without trouble if you don't push it really hard (It'll go into protection but won't hurt it...all modding does is take out the protection most of the time)

If that doesn't do it I would say port port port and get an amp that does about 800-1kw at either 4 or 1 ohm.  What kind of truck is this?  I have done many installs in everything from mini's to fullsize single cabs and never had any problem with single 15s (stamped basket) in mazda/ranger/s-10 trucks and dual 12 cast or dual 15 stamped in fullsize chevy/ford/dodge trucks and never hurt the seat movement.

ya, after we get our house all finished up and moved in i am going to drop them to 1 ohm and would like to have a box design worked out since i will have a shop to work in. the truck is a dodge dakota.