Sign in to follow this  
onebadmonte

Fi Q10, Hornresp, D.A.T.S, vs. Me :)

How to start this off?????

Well, I got this way cool Fi Car Audio 10" Q. Here are some pics of how it arrived to me.

Waiting at the doorstep.

DSC05748_zps286c6351.jpg

Opening up the box.

DSC05750_zps4de80f57.jpg

Out of the box and on to the driveway for some pics.

DSC05971_zps9f3aec46.jpg

Side profile shot.

DSC05975_zpsf9a26b77.jpg

Get a load of that motor. O_o

DSC05982_zps62d40110.jpg

A word from the people who made this possible. smile.png

DSC05983_zpsc6a6c727.jpg

The plan will be for a simple ported box with an aero-port. I'll input all the manufacturers parameters and box specs into Hornresp and see what it chugs out. To follow up, I'll use a Dayton Audio Test System (D.A.T.S.) formerly know as the Woofer Tester, to verify the impedance curve and box tuning.

If all goes well, I'll have a nice bumping system. Worst case, I get flamed to death on the interwebs. Stay tuned. biggrin.png

trink40.gif

Tuned in for the testing!

:) :)

Alright, well, thanks to all who have commented so far. smile.png Not much happening just yet. I had to mow the lawn today. :/ Good thing, is that a cold front rolled in, so it was nice and cool outside. biggrin.png

Now the good stuff. I broke out with the old tape measure and took some measurements of available space. Scratched my head and stared aimlessly at the Hornresp Input Parameters screen. Then I came up with this:

Box volume 1.5cuft (42.47L). Port specs: 4" aero port (81.03cm^2), length 17" (43.18cm). Tuning: 33.62Hz

Hornresp Input Parameters screen.

inputparameters_zps1c9f54c8.jpg

SPL Response, 1w@1m, I think. tongue.png Eeek! look at that peak. O_o

splresponse_zps8e40c2bb.jpg

Impedance Curve. :/ Looks right to me.

electricalimpedance_zps3218602f.jpg

Group Delay. I have no idea. sad.png

groupdelay_zpsa584e9e7.jpg

Here is a sketch I made of what I'm gonna build. smile.png

boxsketch_zpsf0bbde4e.jpg

Excuse the mess, I'm left handed. That's it from me. Now your its your turn. Share your thoughts, suggestions, and predictions. smile.png

I tried to use hornresp once. It was a mess and I gave up lol.

I have the same dats. Its pretty handy and makes tuning and testing a breeze. Gonna use it to figure out my next wall.

I had the q18 and I think you will be surprised what a nice all around driver it is.

When are you going to start the actual construction?

I tried to use hornresp once. It was a mess and I gave up lol.

I have the same dats. Its pretty handy and makes tuning and testing a breeze. Gonna use it to figure out my next wall.

I had the q18 and I think you will be surprised what a nice all around driver it is.

When are you going to start the actual construction?

Your not kidding about Hornresp being a mess. Members of some of the many home theater forums have written up pretty good how to instructions for the various alignments/box types. (Hope I worded that right. :D) Hopefully I followed them to the "T".

The DATS is pretty cool. How "spot on" it is, is up in the air though as I have no real reference other than what manufactures post and what I model up. :D I'm just trying to learn and have a little fun on the way.

The build is well on it's way. I just need to catch up and post up the pics. :P

The specs will change depending on the environment it's tested in. However it won't be enough to make a difference for the enclosure.

The specs will change depending on the environment it's tested in. However it won't be enough to make a difference for the enclosure.

Good to know, thanks. :)

Here are various shots of my box build. smile.png

I had been hearing many things about "Arauco" plywood so I decided to give it a shot. A bit shout out to the fellas at the Home Depot around the corner from my house. Those guys have always been cool about trimming the wood down to manageable sizes with their awesome panel saw.

The goods:

DSC05960_zpsefb16232.jpg

Another change up for me is using a nail gun instead of wood screws. This made it so much easier and quicker when being an army of one. biggrin.png

The box coming together:

DSC05967_zps368a0c00.jpg

Under this stack is the baffle being glued together. On a side note all that wood is for a project I said was going to be a quick one. Joke is on me, that wood has been sitting in the garage for a year. :\

DSC05969_zps433606aa.jpg

Here is a shot of the baffle ready to go on the box.

DSC05970_zps65f3555e.jpg

I though I'd give the box edges a little round over.

DSC05988_zps75f44923.jpg

Assembled box pics. biggrin.png

DSC05999_zps1db02dfb.jpg

DSC05997_zps3fe85330.jpg

A little shot of the terminal cups I made up for the box.

DSC06007_zps4a628287.jpg

Sub, meet box. Box, meet sub. biggrin.png

DSC06009_zps40c96edb.jpg

Woot, woot! Box finished. smile.png

DSC06012_zps5752f949.jpg

DSC06015_zpsb372455e.jpg

DSC06010_zps1dbd4b38.jpg

This is officially my fastest box build. It took me a week of afternoons to pull this off. Hooray for me. tongue.png

wow hugo  perfect work as always.. you are a master of craftsmanship !

Thanks Jon. Maybe this time the little Olds will break a 140. :P

box looks great... how did you like that plywood man???

Thanks Jon. Maybe this time the little Olds will break a 140. tongue.png

I like it. It's got less voids in it than the oak/wanna be birch ply they sell at homedepot. It's lighter than MDF. Most importantly, when I cut it I get the feeling that I'm breathing in real wood not all sorts of carcinogens like when cutting mdf. Makes me feel like a lumberjack. :P

I like it. It's got less voids in it than the oak/wanna be birch ply they sell at homedepot. It's lighter than MDF. Most importantly, when I cut it I get the feeling that I'm breathing in real wood not all sorts of carcinogens like when cutting mdf. Makes me feel like a lumberjack. tongue.png

lol... I want to feel manly too.... 

Sounds like someone needs a hug. :)

Sounds like someone needs a hug. smile.png

Hahah good shyt..lol

Man I wish I could carpet a box that good!

Yay! Day off updates! smile.png

So here are some pics of the last iteration of the system in my little Olds. A.K.A. "The Creampuff"

DSC05942_zps5fa6f2c5.jpg

What a mess. sad.png

And what was hiding behind the rear seat.

DSC05943_zps4b13348c.jpg

With everything out I positioned the box in place and decided on using an angle iron to secure the box to the car. I started off by installing some 1/4-20 rivenuts in the trunk floor.

DSC06016_zps57517e63.jpg

Here is the angle iron bolted down.

DSC06019_zps6dc921fa.jpg

Looking through the old baffle

DSC06020_zps31b1c3ce.jpg

I transferred the hole locations from the angle iron on to the box. I followed up by installing threaded wood insert into the box allowing me to bolt the box onto the angle iron with three 1/4-20 x 1" bolts. Here is some shots of the box bolted to the angle iron.

DSC06024_zps005cda41.jpg

DSC06023_zps38bf00b8.jpg

Lastly here is a pic of the final install.

DSC06021_zps18d56290.jpg

The final system layout consist of:

Headunit: JVC KD-HDW10

Processor: JBL MS-8

Front Stage: PowerBass S-352 3-1/2" Co-Ax in stock location powered by MS-8 hi-passed at 200Hz 24dB/oct

Peerless OEM 8" powered by US Acoustics USB-4080 (bridged) band-passed 200Hz 24dB/oct & 80Hz 12dB/oct

Sub Stage: Fi Q 10 powered by Bazooka MGA11000H lo-passed at 80Hz 12dB/oct  sub-sonic at 30Hz 24dB/oct

Test and impressions on the way. smile.png

Came out great!

You didn't want to play with positioning before bolting it down?

Also kinda hard to tell in the pic, but from the orientation it looks like the port is fairly close to the side.

That being the case don't be surprised if the dats shows lower than calculated tuning.

Don't forget to use the calibration resistor each time you fire it up!

that would be the only way i would do a side port.. i like mines to load off of something,

came out great hugo im glad to see you left the IB baffle

you need to get that bad ass moteCarlo finished that Q would be at home in that clean sex sumbitch

Came out great!

You didn't want to play with positioning before bolting it down?

Thanks. As for box position, I figure I'd just drop the silly thing in and take my chance with hitting a home run right out of the chute. :P Most likely that isn't gonna happen.

Also kinda hard to tell in the pic, but from the orientation it looks like the port is fairly close to the side.

That being the case don't be surprised if the dats shows lower than calculated tuning.

Don't forget to use the calibration resistor each time you fire it up!

The pis make the port look close both there is a good four inches of clearance. The DATS will tell the truth though. :)

that would be the only way i would do a side port.. i like mines to load off of something,

came out great hugo im glad to see you left the IB baffle

you need to get that bad ass moteCarlo finished that Q would be at home in that clean sex sumbitch

The ib baffle stayed in jus because Im lazy. : D

Awe, don't tell me about that Monte Carlo. It's a love hate relationship with that damn car. I tell you it gonna be the end of me if I ever finish it. :P