Sign in to follow this  
edouble101

Shorting ring?

I was looking through ssa products and none of them mention a shorting ring in the description. Do any of the ssa subwoofers use a shorting ring?

To keep the inductance down, the XCON employs an Aluminum shorting ring.

The rest of the product line I'm not sure about off-hand, I'll leave that for Mark or Aaron. 

To keep the inductance down, the XCON employs an Aluminum shorting ring.

The rest of the product line I'm not sure about off-hand, I'll leave that for Mark or Aaron. 

I missed that. 

The xcon is the only one with a shorting ring?

The xcon is the only one with a shorting ring?

Yes.  One of the initial designs for the F/Gcon was underhung with shorting rings.  There are two other models, one that is not in production, and one that is, that may gain one.

But for those who may not understand, some of the models need the greater motor strength over fractional gains in inductance.

Ok. I wasnt sure if the icon or evil did.

For the Icon, we wanted to bump up the motor strength with the new model, we could add a shorting ring down the road after sometime and modeling/testing etc. with an updated version.  But it will only add more machining time and more cost to an already VERY costly to build driver in it's respective market segment, for factional gains in lowered inductance that customers have not shown any signs of wanting yet.

The Evil plays so flat and clean as it stands, it does not need it.  Side note, the Evil needs less juice to get up and rolling from the start then the Zcon. ;)

Many local demo recipients can agree how flat the evil really does play, its quite unbelievable.

For the Icon, we wanted to bump up the motor strength with the new model, we could add a shorting ring down the road after sometime and modeling/testing etc. with an updated version.  But it will only add more machining time and more cost to an already VERY costly to build driver in it's respective market segment, for factional gains in lowered inductance that customers have not shown any signs of wanting yet.

The Evil plays so flat and clean as it stands, it does not need it.  Side note, the Evil needs less juice to get up and rolling from the start then the Zcon. ;)

It is unfortunate that sound quality is an after thought for most buyers. Which I am sure is why the market is more biased towards spl.

I would love to see Klippel results for all SSA drivers :) That would answer a few questions some folks have like myself.

The Evil plays so flat and clean as it stands, it does not need it.  Side note, the Evil needs less juice to get up and rolling from the start then the Zcon. wink.png

It is unfortunate that sound quality is an after thought for most buyers. Which I am sure is why the market is more biased towards spl.

I would love to see Klippel results for all SSA drivers smile.png That would answer a few questions some folks have like myself.

Just because the market does not demand the SQ I prefer, that does not mean in the slightest we over look it or ignore it in our sub woofers.  In general, SQ biased sub woofers, usually need greater development time, higher levels of accuracy in construction due to it that part of the market being so spec driven, tighter tolerances, etc. etc. etc.   All leading to much higher build costs.  With that said, the internet market is blindly ruled by RMS ratting relative to price.  Hence why our original Gcon approach was shelved due to the pricing having to be up in the Icon range.  We do have Klippel test results from the original Icon, but that machine is no longer in unbiased hands.  Would much rather have Sean (///M5) with access to superior testing equipment be sent some models for test results, but then again, that would cost a good chunk of money we do not have to spend.

For the Icon, we wanted to bump up the motor strength with the new model, we could add a shorting ring down the road after sometime and modeling/testing etc. with an updated version. But it will only add more machining time and more cost to an already VERY costly to build driver in it's respective market segment, for factional gains in lowered inductance that customers have not shown any signs of wanting yet.

The Evil plays so flat and clean as it stands, it does not need it. Side note, the Evil needs less juice to get up and rolling from the start then the Zcon. wink.png

I would love to see Klippel results for all SSA drivers smile.png That would answer a few questions some folks have like myself.

Just because the market does not demand the SQ I prefer, that does not mean in the slightest we over look it or ignore it in our sub woofers. In general, SQ biased sub woofers, usually need greater development time, higher levels of accuracy in construction due to it that part of the market being so spec driven, tighter tolerances, etc. etc. etc. All leading to much higher build costs. With that said, the internet market is blindly ruled by RMS ratting relative to price. Hence why our original Gcon approach was shelved due to the pricing having to be up in the Icon range. We do have Klippel test results from the original Icon, but that machine is no longer in unbiased hands. Would much rather have Sean (///M5) with access to superior testing equipment be sent some models for test results, but then again, that would cost a good chunk of money we do not have to spend.

Vance Dickason will do unbiased testing for free and publish the info in Voice Coil. All he asks for is two samples for comprehensive testing.

Does he send the samples back to the company if requested?  I know he sells some test samples on ebay periodically, bought a pair of the Audience A3's off him.  Didn't use them as my plans changed but sold them for a profit....so it worked out well for me :)

I'm sure he would if you really wanted them back. But what's the cost of samples compared to getting free testing done by one of the top figures in the industry.

I'm sure he would if you really wanted them back. But what's the cost of samples compared to getting free testing done by one of the top figures in the industry.

Hmm sounds pretty cool.