Sign in to follow this  
Trent Hari

Newbie confused/Disapointed

My setup in my 1999 Dakota is a Alpine PDX-5, JX 1000/1, Alpine R components in front, pioneer TSDs in the back, and i used to have a 5th gen type R that blew on 1000 watts. I was planning on being pleasantly surprised when i bought an american sub from an american company SSA but its been 3 days since my card has been charged and my SA-12 still says Awaiting Fulfillment :( and my messages are not getting any replies :(:(

First of all the Sundown SA-12 is a Chinese made woofer. Sundown should be shipping your subwoofer out to you soon. Sometimes the system is behind and does not update right away.

Where did you send a message? The best way to get ahold of SSA is support@soundsolutionsaudio.com

I know that the SA-12 is a Chinese built woofer. The fact that it is Chinese should mean that it ships sooner because there is no build time and usually it is in stock and Sundown is an american company. I usually buy off amazon and they almost always ship within 24 hours and most of the time i get the product in 3-4 days. Messages are also replied to within 24 hours most of the time less. I heard good things about SSA's service and I just hope they are true.    

BTW can the SA-12 handle more power than the 5th gen type R even though it is rated at 1000 rms vs 600 for the sundown? I Blew the VC on the type R (White smoke) in a 1 sq foot vented box on a JL JX 1000/1.

ssa doesnt stock sundown subs they process the order and give it to sundown then it gets shipped. About a week to get all that done.

I have a JX 1000 1 On a Lanzar 6 farad cap (Probably 1-2 true farads) and i was being dumb turning the head unit gain all the way up. i had the gain on the amp turned up 1/2 way. It was in a 1 cubic foot vented truck box. ill probably put the sa-12 in a bassworx tp12 box (1.3 cubic feet tuned to about 36) wired to 2 ohms. the amp doesnt have a subsonic filter. the LP filter is set to about 75

Thank you for your service i just saw the last comment. I was just getting worried. I still have not recieved an email from SSA maybe i gave you the wrong address. Ill check. Where do you answer questions?

I just saw where to ask specific questions about an order. my bad. i asked in the live chat at the bottom of the screen which is probably the wrong place.

Edited by Trent Hari

You may have time to cancel and get you a true American Made woofer

I have a JX 1000 1 On a Lanzar 6 farad cap (Probably 1-2 true farads) and i was being dumb turning the head unit gain all the way up. i had the gain on the amp turned up 1/2 way. It was in a 1 cubic foot vented truck box. ill probably put the sa-12 in a bassworx tp12 box (1.3 cubic feet tuned to about 36) wired to 2 ohms. the amp doesnt have a subsonic filter. the LP filter is set to about 75

Thank you for your service i just saw the last comment. I was just getting worried. I still have not recieved an email from SSA maybe i gave you the wrong address. Ill check. Where do you answer questions?

Came from either Aaron@ or Support@soundsolutionsaudio.com  

A few corrections.  Emails HAVE been answered, we ARE stocking many Sundown subs in NY.  As explained via email, Mark was out of town for a few days and will be processing the order very shortly, and your order will ship right away.

BAM question asked and answered in less than 4 hours!

SUCK IT AMAZON!  LOL

Just because it hasn't been said in a bit. YOU ROCK AARON!!  SSA ftw

I just saw where to ask specific questions about an order. my bad. i asked in the live chat at the bottom of the screen which is probably the wrong place.

Capacitors are not beneficial in any way.

Gain half way on the amp is arbitrary.

You're going to want a subsonic filter, or I'd be willing to bet that you'll come back in a few weeks posting about a blown sub and how it's a piece of shit.

I wouldn't expect the SA-12 to sound very good in that enclosure. It has a relatively high tuning and small volume (peaky), no double baffle, and I'll speculate that the port area may not entirely be sufficient.

Edited by stefanhinote

Just because it hasn't been said in a bit. YOU ROCK AARON!!  SSA ftw

Thank you, appreciate that. :)

Thanks!

Alright i think I found the problem. I accidentally unsubscribed to emails from SSA.  Where should I go to subscribe again?

I do have limited space for the box though because its in my back seat and i like to recline. Do you know where to get a larger truck box? Custom is kind of expensive. I also have a budget on the box because i already have about $1500 in my system and I'm 19 and I'm going to college. (I pay all my bills)

How do you add a subsonic filter?

Btw i heard that they don't but i do think capacitors do something because my lights dimmed with the pdx 5 and now they don't flicker even with 1000 watts which is why I got it anyway. (Not sure why I'm just reporting my observation)

(The stock big 3 is all 4 guage)

Edited by Trent Hari

You may have time to cancel and get you a true American Made woofer

Lol I wanted to but i didnt want to wait 21 days  for build time  (I was looking at the SSA GCON)        

Also the SA-12 had almost universally positive reviews

Im limping along with an alpine Type S (500 rms...on 1000 rms lol) and it sucks (sounds muddy as hell) haha.   

Email subscription is for our newsletters.

Email subscription is for our newsletters.

Yeah sorry i had to do some digging but i found it. your email went to my Spam folder (I haven't checked it in months lol) I'm glad i came to the forums smile.png i got this all straightened out

Any advice on my other post about the box and subsonic filter for my truck? Someone said a Bassworx TP12 was a bad fit for a SA-12

I do have limited space for the box though because its in my back seat and i like to recline. Do you know where to get a larger truck box? Custom is kind of expensive. I also have a budget on the box because i already have about $1500 in my system and I'm 19 and I'm going to college. (I pay all my bills)

How do you add a subsonic filter or where do you get one?

Edited by Trent Hari

Thanks!

Alright i think I found the problem. I accidentally unsubscribed to emails from SSA.  Where should I go to subscribe again?

How do you add a subsonic filter?

Btw i heard that they don't but i do think capacitors do something because my lights dimmed with the pdx 5 and now they don't flicker even with 1000 watts which is why I got it anyway. (Not sure why I'm just reporting my observation)

(The stock big 3 is all 4 guage)

If you already have the enclosure and are on a budget than try it, and see how you like it. If you have the time and patience than perhaps you could build a custom fiberglass one yourself.

For the subsonic filter the easiest thing would be to either sell the current amp and purchase one that has the filter, or you could look for an inline filter on parts-express, harrison labs, or use some signal processor to go between your head-unit and amp.

If the caps helped alleviate your lights from dimming than perhaps I was wrong, and they can serve some purpose. :P

Alright I don't have the box yet. i currently have a 1 cf truck box with a large(er) port than the bassworx.  Also the amp has a freq. response of 20-150khz. hertz so i think the subsonic filter is set at 20 hz . I like sq but im leaning a little toward SPL  would adding a second areoport to the tp 12 make it sound better?

Edited by Trent Hari

Alright I don't have the box yet. i currently have a 1 cf truck box with a large(er) port than the bassworx.  Also the amp has a freq. response of 20-150khz. hertz so i think the subsonic filter is set at 20 hz . I like sq but im leaning a little toward SPL  would adding a second areoport to the tp 12 make it sound better?

No. The volume is already slim, and another port would displace more volume. Plus you wouldn't be able to achieve a specific tuning unless you adjusted the stock port length as well.

Alright then i guess the other option is to get one custom made unless you know of a bigger prefab truck box (I looked everywhere lol) or a relatively inexpensive custom shop. I'll just try it and see. Thanks for your help!

Alright then i guess the other option is to get one custom made unless you know of a bigger prefab truck box (I looked everywhere lol) or a relatively inexpensive custom shop. I'll just try it and see. Thanks for your help!

99% of the time prefab enclosures are suboptimal.

I don't know how much free time you have, but you could build a fiberglass enclosure over the course of a few weekends, and materials would cost around $100-180

If you did go this route than you'd need to be willing to practice glassing before doing the enclosure.

See what your local shops would charge to build an enclosure. Perhaps they can make everything out of mdf, and won't cost a "ton."

Alright thanks ill try my local shop. Ill give a shout for the Salem Sound Center for great customer service :) even though all they sell is pioneer.  I'm busy from work so ill see. They quoted me about $200-300. 

One more question. I have 1 strand of 4 gauge running to my capacitor from my 750 cca battery on my truck (136 amp alt). I'm pulling about 1400 rms off of it  (100*4 for pdx5 1000*1 for jx 1000/1) (6 farad cap) the cap has a volt meter on it and it can drop to about 13 volts when the truck is running and the bass is turned up 100%. All of the power wire to the amps is 4 gauge.  

Do you think that is sufficient electrical flow or should i upgrade some wiring or the battery? (stock big 3 is 4 gauge and i added a 2 gauge wire directly to the frame from the battery) ? i did blow a sub once so im not sure about clipping. i took it too a stereo shop and they said it sounded clean but i don't trust those people lol