Sign in to follow this  
crf450r4u2nv

fi-q broken magnet

The magnet split all the way around my fi-q , is there anything that can be done to save this sub ?

This wouldn't be covered under warranty would it ?

did the magnet shift and lock the coil in place? 

i assume you dropped the sub which crack the magnet. why would that covered under warranty? 

It is not covered, and it is repairable.

Nope never dropped . has been in the same box since new .

It is a shame , this sub has been taken easy on since new .

I have a btl for when I need to pound . and I have rebuild stuff for my btl and never needed it even while competing but not for my q . go figure .

Well still a fi fan any ways .

I'm good at getting the one in a million problems .

Nope never dropped . has been in the same box since new .

It is a shame , this sub has been taken easy on since new .

I have a btl for when I need to pound . and I have rebuild stuff for my btl and never needed it even while competing but not for my q . go figure .

Well still a fi fan any ways .

I'm good at getting the one in a million problems .

You aren't the only one. I have had so many issues. Between last years build, and this years rebuild I have spent thousands fixing and replacing all kinds of stuff. You need the cash on your ass to have the bass in your face.

Hard to believe the magnet cracked if it was in the box the whole time

Why is that hard to believe ?

I can try to post pics if people need to believe .

I'm not some kid fooling around with gear .

I'm old , and know how to build run and handle my equipment.

And have never damaged or blown any of my gear .

I have different enclosures for each sub so have no reason to ever take them out . I only took my q out because I heard the difference in sound right away .

This sub still functions because I stopped right away . and no I wasn't pounding on it either . it was actually playing on very low levels when it happened .

When did you purchase it?

I purchased it years ago . when the q was still vented pole .

I think just before they changed to non vented pole .

I could be wrong but it was probably 4-5 years ago

Edited by crf450r4u2nv

You can get it repaired, don't go to PSI.  But I've never heard anything like this...I have the same pre-09 motor and I beat on it from recone to recone.

Trust me I was shocked to see that also . when I took it out of the box I was expecting that something had come unglued on the cone . never would have guessed a cracked magnet .. This sub was never beat and had support for the motor in the box .

Now my btl got beat ruthlessly and I have had it just as long . but never did have a problem . I have lots of spare parts for my btl expecting to need them while competing . never did and I doubt that I ever will .

I love my Fi subs , and don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to put them down . they are top quality . and have treated me very well.

And I can't say enough good thing about the fi-q . it has sound that is unbelievable . I've missed it badly for weeks now .

It' happens with ceramics, one out of every 1000-1200 pieces will shatter over time it's simply the law of averages of making something, you are going to have a certain percentage that just cracks.

We can fix it, you're looking at about 60 bucks + the recone to do it. The warranty is only for a period of 1 year, if it was in that period it'd be covered. But beings that it's nearly 5-6 years old it's not a warranty situation.

Thank for the offer nick . and that shows what kind of company FI is .

I didn't think that this would be warranty but figured I would ask .

I think that I have already got my money's worth out of this sub .

And will just order another to replace this one .

Is there anything that could glue this magnet together for while I wait for my new one or is that not feasible ?

i'm guessing the motor would probably just shift and lock the coil up. doubt glue could stop that, 

I don't know anything that will really stick ferrous magnets my self either .

But I figured if anyone knew it would be nick or the guys from FI .

I won't need it to last forever just until my new sub gets ordered and arrives .

Now that I need to replace it it would be fun to thow some real power at it .

My coils are like new , I never even got them warm yet.I would love to see what it takes to bottom one out or burn coils . I bet it takes a lot .

I would clamp test it while I do it . the most that I have run on it yet is 500 watts and that was very impressive . and more than enough for daily listening .

I o-scope and clamp all my setups , it does not take all that most think to get loud . even with my btl the difference between 1000 watts and over 3000 watts is not that much . especially for daily listening . its mostly bragging rights .

And to get those extra high watt readings you need the right box most boxes have so much impedance rise that they will never get there . so for the folks worried about forcing 1700 watts out of a 1500 watt amp yes it will do it but it is not worth it you will not hear it and neither will your friends . your not a db meter you have ears . worry about a great box .

This not aimed at you lithium I know you already know this .

Not a glue that exists that will keep it from shifting, if it still plays your best bet is to simply leave it alone and hope for the best that it doesn't shift and smack the top plate against the coil.

Once that happens it's game over, the motor has to be baked at 500 degrees to burn the glue off.

not a problem

Sign in to follow this