Garrett Tait

router bit help

im trying to achieve 2 things. for the port, where it ends (inside) i'd like to know what size router bit to use when i make a pass from each size to make it a perfect half circle. also, where the port turns 90* what size bit should i use to get a full turn on 1 piece of wood.

im going to start my box build without my gf's dads tools this time. im going to buy a router and the jasper jig and the 2 (or 3) bits i will need

Purchase a round over set from lowes. Should have everything you need.

For 3/4" wood use a 3/8" round over to get the half circle look. You will likely want to sand it just a bit as well just to make sure it is nice and smooth.

For the 90 degree bends and on the port opening we use the 3/8" or a 3/4" depending on the design and look wanted.

For 3/4" wood use a 3/8" round over to get the half circle look. You will likely want to sand it just a bit as well just to make sure it is nice and smooth.

For the 90 degree bends and on the port opening we use the 3/8" or a 3/4" depending on the design and look wanted.

okay cool! thank you. i'll look into the kits from lowes or home depot.

also, are there any decent priced routers you would recommend? i just figured out the one i was looking at isnt compatible with the jasper jig

in for answers...

also, are there any decent priced routers you would recommend? i just figured out the one i was looking at isnt compatible with the jasper jig

Spend the extra money and get a 3/4 horse porta cable. Night and day difference than big box level routers. It'll last your lifetime. You might have to change out the motor brushes every 10 years or so with daily use but they are only a few bucks

Spend the extra money and get a 3/4 horse porta cable. Night and day difference than big box level routers. It'll last your lifetime. You might have to change out the motor brushes every 10 years or so with daily use but they are only a few bucks

You meant Porter cable?? Just trying to look myself

They have a smaller one as well 2.5 Hp I believe.

I have found the Jasper jigs aren't perfect. They work for most people but can be off by 1/16-1/32 of an inch.

We use craftsman and porter plunge routers. However, with the amount of use/abuse we put them through we get about 1 year out of them. Of course I'm sure we build just a tad bit more then most do lol.

I like try and get ones with adjustable speed as that helps a lot with some of the work you may be doing. A router table is a nice purchase to.

We use craftsman and porter plunge routers. However, with the amount of use/abuse we put them through we get about 1 year out of them. Of course I'm sure we build just a tad bit more then most do lol.

I like try and get ones with adjustable speed as that helps a lot with some of the work you may be doing. A router table is a nice purchase to.

1 more question;

if the Depth Capacity (Inches) for the router  = 1.25, will it work on a double front baffle (1.5inches) because of the extra length of the router bit.

because i'd like to make my passes after the box is built, where if i cant get that extra depth from the router bit, i'd have to cut the hole before making my box

I would also suggest getting one that has both bases. the fixed base can be attached to a table and the plunge base for hand held. I picked up a decent Craftsman combo set for 80 last year but i caught it on sale usually 150

1 more question;

if the Depth Capacity (Inches) for the router  = 1.25, will it work on a double front baffle (1.5inches) because of the extra length of the router bit.

because i'd like to make my passes after the box is built, where if i cant get that extra depth from the router bit, i'd have to cut the hole before making my box

Always use a spiral bit.  You want down cut to push chips away from you when the router is not mounted on a table and up cut when the router is mounted on a table.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11263&site=ROCKLER

That one is 3 1/2 inches long plenty of length for 2 to 2 1/2 inches of material.  NEVER cut the material in one pass.  Make multiple passes until you get to your desired depth.

ok so i ended up getting a dewalt. i ordered the jig and i went to lowes to pick up some router bits. i picked up a 3/8 roundover and a 1/2 x 1 1/2 straight bit. i might end up swapping it out because idk if i should get a spiral bit. what should be used for the cutting of the hole. keep in mind it will be 1.5 inches thick.

Don't use a spiral bit with a cheap router that isn't a plung router. The spiral bits are fragile. You will just wind up snapping it off.

I do t understand about cutting the hole.

just got my jasper jig in today. im so freakin excited. the router should be here today or tomorrow!!!

20130509_110730_zpsdb80d6da.jpg