Sign in to follow this  
Julian

New lens.. Sony Alpha owners...

So I picked up a Prime lens from Sony.. I think I paid 150 for it brand new the Sony DT50mm F1.8 SAM.. I wanted the 1.4 but it was 2x the price.. but this lens is AMAZING.

EPIC lens for the price, I would recommend it to ANYONE.. Especially for a budget. My next purchase will probably be a new daily lens.

let the pics speak..

464985_10151625837140070_859887096_o.jpg

919519_10151625837175070_97022426_o.jpg

474443_10151625837180070_1024171518_o.jp476403_10151625837170070_1317101921_o.jp

only complaint is no metal mount and the AF ring is kinda loose in comparison to my other lenses 

I love large aperture lenses. 

How does the histogram look on this pictures? They look a stop under exposed to me.

How does the histogram look on this pictures? They look a stop under exposed to me.

Honestly. I know what they are but not sure how to interpret histograms. I was shooting in 100% auto mode just playing around. It went straight from RAW to 0 compression PNG.. Maybe because I uploaded them to facebook? Possibly.

Edited by Julian

Nice, I still have not purchased my new lens yet.

What camera do you have? 

What camera do you have? 

A 57

Honestly. I know what they are but not sure how to interpret histograms. I was shooting in 100% auto mode just playing around. It went straight from RAW to 0 compression PNG.. Maybe because I uploaded them to facebook? Possibly.

Here are some basic. This does not touch RGB histogram.

Due to the subject matter these pics should be on the bright side. Your histogram should be shifted slighted to the right. The pic of the black cat throws a curve ball int the histogram and now both the left side and the right side of the histogram should be somewhat balanced. 

You might hear people saying "expose to the right". What this means is that your histogram should be shifted to the right side. This is a safe way to shoot. It is easier to edit a slightly overexposed picture than an underexposed one. 

Having a histogram touching the far left side is indicating that some parts of the photo are underexposed. Having a histogram touching the far right indicates over exposed elements. The pic of the black cat possibly has underexposed sections due to the fact that it is a back cat with a bright background. The paws look underexposed to me. Often having overexposed or underexposed portions of a picture is acceptable. The dead grass on the third flower picture look overexposed which isn't the focus of the picture and is more than likely fine the way it is.

There will be times when you want to overexpose a picture or underexpose a picture. I use the camera's metering to determine this and histogram will verify it.

Underexposed on the left, overexposed on the right

shutterstation_kangaroo_histogram.jpg

histogram-2.jpg

What camera do you have? 

A 57

I am very Jelly, lol.

Here are some basic. This does not touch RGB histogram.

Due to the subject matter these pics should be on the bright side. Your histogram should be shifted slighted to the right. The pic of the black cat throws a curve ball int the histogram and now both the left side and the right side of the histogram should be somewhat balanced. 

You might hear people saying "expose to the right". What this means is that your histogram should be shifted to the right side. This is a safe way to shoot. It is easier to edit a slightly overexposed picture than an underexposed one. 

Having a histogram touching the far left side is indicating that some parts of the photo are underexposed. Having a histogram touching the far right indicates over exposed elements. The pic of the black cat possibly has underexposed sections due to the fact that it is a back cat with a bright background. The paws look underexposed to me. Often having overexposed or underexposed portions of a picture is acceptable. The dead grass on the third flower picture look overexposed which isn't the focus of the picture and is more than likely fine the way it is.

There will be times when you want to overexpose a picture or underexpose a picture. I use the camera's metering to determine this and histogram will verify it.

Underexposed on the left, overexposed on the right

shutterstation_kangaroo_histogram.jpg

histogram-2.jpg

You would be correct, I actually didn't even notice it.. White and blue are slightly over underexposed, green less so.

Edited by Julian

Looks to be a nice lens, very similar to canon's nifty fifty 1.8

plastic mount and a "loose" focus ring, but damn can it take some stellar pictures in low light and crystal clear.

nice! Those are damn dope

Yeah the 1.4 50m is like +400 dollars brand new. But overall a great lens for the price range

I need some new glass for my Nikon.

J

nice photos Julian... have anymore to share??? 

also, where did you pick up the lens from?

Yeah the 1.4 50m is like +400 dollars brand new. But overall a great lens for the price range

B&h photoi think I paid 160 shipped

601859_10151632509400070_40953992_n.jpg

477329_10151634929935070_1521056689_o.jp

I have more but posting on my phone is a pita

who were you creeping on??? lmao

B&h photoi think I paid 160 shipped

601859_10151632509400070_40953992_n.jpg

That's my fiance and I lol.

mhmm.... lol

That's my fiance and I lol.