SpeakerBoy

50mm headphone drivers - modded headphones

I got bored with my Skullcandy's, they sounded like asshole (and still do when not on the amp)

but I was wondering, if doubling up on drivers might help the bass response; I split up a few cables and ran them to my HT amp, and they sounded much better, but that is not the kind of thing you can lug around for casual listening;

I was thinking of getting two pairs of 50mm drivers and mounting them in place of the existing drivers, to see if a little more area helps; the bass only got good around xmech of the drivers currently in there, tried to get funky and had to back it off to prevent the coils from shredding.

Anyone know of a reliable brand of 50mm speakers? I was going to go with more cellophanes, but if any ultra low power speakers of that size exist, i'd give them a try.

I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-A700. They're 53mm Neodymium magnets make some very nice lows, work well with gaming, and make listening to music a joy. They're extremely comfy and can wear them for 4 hours easily.

Save time and hassle and buy a nice set of headphones that you enjoy. Grados come to mind. Just like any other speakers, try them out before purchasing.

If you haven't read any of my other posts; my reputation here is broke as hell. I build things to how I like them, because I don't have the money for nice stuff, i'm a tinkerer. So let me ask again, does anyone know of a good maker of 50mm drivers or low power speakers in that size? I have these set to where they'll take quite a bit of power (for headphones at least) and they'll drop to 28hz and make your ears itch and vision shake no problem; I'm just looking for something more efficient; well, and i'm concerned about the wires melting the diaphram, they've worked their way loose from the glue, but so far no issues other than slight rattles at suuuuuper low notes with no mids or highs to cover it up. I'm thinking about building one of those Altoids tin amps to go with it. Let me put it this way to paint a better picture of the goal; These are SPL headphones. Mids and highs need to keep up, but bass is the goal.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

My text editor is going buck wild and everything is clumbing together and it's dumping HTML tags all over it.

my bad

I understand your question. Its just a waste of time and money. Why not take the money that you would spend on headphones and build a cheap set of bookshelf speakers?

SPL headphones?Doh.gif

SpeakerBoy, on 01 May 2013 - 12:26, said:

I build things to how I like them, because I don't have the money for nice stuff, i'm a tinkerer.

Um, no you waste money building stuff that ends up being garbage. You are about to do so again.

Just glue a tactile transducer to your back and use your buds.

In all of the projects I have ever posted about on here, i've probably spent a total of less than $100.

I get things secondhand, or pick them.

That being said, the drivers i've found so far are all under $5, so a pair would be less than 15 after shipping.

It's starting to get clear that it's useless asking questions here anymore, I understand it's not exactly a conventional project, none of mine are really; but I would at least expect a bit of a break for being excited enough about audio stuff to want to experiment in any way I can , despite not being financially well off.

Not everyone can afford nice toys; I'm homeless, I come to the local college to use the wifi to get on here.

I'm trying to stay off drugs and out of jail by dumping my focus on speakers, and this is how i'm met with it.

I'm lost; I thought this was a hobby not a cut and dried process to attain sound. What happened to trying new things, or having fun with it?

I used to really respect people's opinions here, but not while you all put me down like this.

I quit.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I got no advice except keep doin what your doin. If that's all you spent screw anyone who has anything negative to say. Sounded crazy to me when I first read it too but still interesting. This "hobby/obsession" has kept me out of a lot of trouble also.

the best way to learn is to make mistakes.

That's with any hobby.

I am not implying you are making a mistake, but what you are doing is something custom.

Anything custom is unique and only you will learn from it whether it be advantageous to you or not, it doesn't matter.

Knowledge is knowledge.

i think hes looking for gudidance  not options,

hes looking for somthing to ocuppy his mind, while hopefully making something that is pleasing to the ears,

bookshelf speakers are SHIT if you have no bookshelf to put them lol.

I am working with what I have access to, and I asked a fairly specific question. So what I listed, is what I'm limited to. I do not have the means to get anything else.

If you don't know how it would work in headphones or are not able to guess, then simply don't answer, no one is holding a gun to your head. I have been chopping shit up and misusing it for years as M5 so lovingly details for us all above.

It's a shame that I never managed to get along with him, because that ass is damn smart, no joke; but we have different tastes to say the least.

I have used traditional speakers in headphones before, I had some monster 2.5's and they sounded much better than factory when powered, but the mids were muddy to an unforgivable degree without the amplifier.

The bass was the same as the normal speakers unamped, amped however was stoopid, it felt like my first time hearing three sealed twelve's all over again. Ultimately dismantled because of weight; hurt the neck after an hour or so.

You guys know what I'm about by now.

I'm broke and want a bass fix anyway I can get it. Having fun with it isn't a bad thing.

If it makes you upset, I'd say don't read my stuff. I need a place to get some kind of opinion on my ideas, so I can't just dip out.

Some people are very helpful here.

By the way, what am I supposed to do with bookshelf speakers however well designed? Stuff them in my pockets?

My headphones are my system and my Nike's are my home.

Why don't you just buy some studio type head phones? You can grab a pair of Denons pretty cheap, and they'll perform better than anything you can rig up.

Because I don't want to hurt when I get rained on or they get ripped off.

Life doesn't care how careful you are, stuff happens.

These are waterproof, well unless I wear them when I dive in. They've laughed off a blizzard and a handful of absurd rainstorms.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

They won't be once you mod them, at least if you do it "right"

I'm not so sure I agree.

I've never had to vent the backs for any reason, and; while wearing them, there are no holes, ports, anything exposed.

M5 I'm completely baffled as the why you are still acting as though I chase SQ in any form, I only want it to meet or surpass oem clarity. The bass is all i'm working at bumping up. So far, i've met that goal.

I was dissatisfied with the bass from these shit Hesh's, and even though I put new drivers in them already, and sealed up the insides, and they are a great deal better, I feel that now I can push them to see what I can fit in these frames.

I'll admit, it sounds goofy saying i'm trying to build SPL headphones, but it's not like i'm looking to meter a 150 at the earlobe or some shit.

I want to be able to be satisfied with the range it can reliably reproduce, I like C&S music, and I slow a lot of songs if I can't find them that way.
I can hear the notes now, but i'd like them to be a bit stronger, more pronounced, not just there, barely audible.

If I can have them thump out a slowed version of I luv Your Girl or Ride Around town, I'd be satisfied. I'm after strong mid to upper 20hz range, and that's that. I've met the goal on the amp, but now i'm trying to do so with something that will fit in a pocket.

Edited by SpeakerBoy

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=cMoyBB203

I was thinking one of these; it would let me keep the regular plug, in the event I'm short a battery, or the amp fails.

I'm not going to buy it from there, somewhere in my bookmarks I have a site that sells them for something like half that.

M5 I'm completely baffled as the why you are still acting as though I chase SQ in any form, I only want it to meet or surpass oem clarity. The bass is all i'm working at bumping up. So far, i've met that goal.

Stop reading into things what you want to read and instead open your mind a bit. I was helping you with YOUR goals, not mine. I think the idea is absolutely fucking stupid. I FULLY understand your position and don't agree with any of it. My reference to doing it right was to help you maximize YOUR goals which I know has nothing to do with SQ.

You really need to open your mind a bit, it'll help a ton.

Stop reading into things what you want to read and instead open your mind a bit. I was helping you with YOUR goals, not mine. I think the idea is absolutely fucking stupid. I FULLY understand your position and don't agree with any of it. My reference to doing it right was to help you maximize YOUR goals which I know has nothing to do with SQ.

How do you intend to help me with my goals on a project you consider stupid? Don't reply to my stuff if you only intend to shoot it down in every aspect, I don't need that kind of input; I'm trying to have fun here, not deal with salty audiophiles who consider anything less a waste.

You only point out flaws and fail to suggest any alternatives within reason.

I am shit ass poor, so if you can't find a solution within that parameter, keep it to yourself.

To your comment in response to my headphones weather resistance, durability is first priority over sound quality.

What use is a nice sounding set if it's ruined?

Edited by SpeakerBoy

How do you intend to help me with my goals on a project you consider stupid? Don't reply to my stuff if you only intend to shoot it down in every aspect, I don't need that kind of input; I'm trying to have fun here, not deal with salty audiophiles who consider anything less a waste.

You only point out flaws and fail to suggest any alternatives within reason.

I am shit ass poor, so if you can't find a solution within that parameter, keep it to yourself.

To your comment in response to my headphones weather resistance, durability is first priority over sound quality.

What use is a nice sounding set if it's ruined?

And what use is a set of shitty sounding speakers that are weather proof?

There are things in this world that can be custom built and perform better than off the shelf, but this instance is not one of them--that is why people are not offering help to your irrational project.

Edited by stefanhinote