Dangercdv

Best 10s for me?

Unique Stang Box

I have 2 boxes in my trunk. Each identical, like the picture
above.

My boxes are around 1 cubic foot, with these 2 ports tuned around 33hz each box.. There inside a 2000 Ford Mustang Vert, and there the best I can do. my best response is around 35-45hz in the cabin.

My amp is a kicker 750.1 running around 800 or so rms, cleanpower.

My current subwoofers, 2 Kicker CVRs. There great subwoofers, but im looking for more, an I know people I can sell them to so I can get a decent return on them.

Im looking for the best 10 inch subwoofers I can place in these boxes to get the most out of my system. I am not sure how well different subwoofers preform in different enclosures, so I was thinking...

Sundown Audio E-10 (The cheapest, but one of my best bets)

Alpine SWS (Or SWR if its worth it)

Kicker CompR (The NEW CVR, like I already have)

Any ideas? PLEASE and THANK YOU!

*Also, I would like to keep the price of the new subwoofers as cheap as possible*

None of the options are really going to give you "more" than what you currently have.

A member on DIYMA typed up a little review of the Alpine Type R 12".  The Alpine's should be solid performers if installed correctly. 

Although I do not know the terms of "more" that you are looking for. 

Well right now, im not a fan of kicker anymore. I can push the subs to their max with the amp, but people at my school are much louder with crappy brands and setups.
My friend has a single 10 on less than half the power and its louder than mine... its insaine.

I want MORE output, With my gains set now correctly, I get up to half volume on my headunit (25 of 50) and I max out my subs. (I listen to the radio at 15-20)

I want subs that can handle that normal volume around 15-20 but can go past 25 without blowing up. I want more output!
Dont get me wrong, they get loud, and sound good at normal listning levels, but they dont get as loud as my friends subs. 

I also notice many of the other people at my school have a large xmax on their subs. I can see them move a good bit, mine dont seem to move near as much.

Edited by Dangercdv

What's your budget?

im looking to spend no more than $130 per sub unless its completely worth it.

Kicker CompR                 (Rated 600 RMS)
Sundown E                      (Rated 400 RMS)

Pioneer TS-W2502D4     (Rated 800 RMS)

Alpine SWS                     (Rated 500 RMS)

Those are my top options as of right now. If its not worth the upgrade from CVRs then I will accpet my fate, but if I can get some more output than what I have, that would be great!

I am mostly looking for a sub that can take more power, because mine dont take as much as i would like.

there rated for 400rms, recomendeds I give them 300 in a decent ported enclosure, and mine is a bit on the smaller side for them. 

Edited by Dangercdv

Well right now, im not a fan of kicker anymore. I can push the subs to their max with the amp, but people at my school are much louder with crappy brands and setups.

My friend has a single 10 on less than half the power and its louder than mine... its insaine.

I want MORE output, With my gains set now correctly, I get up to half volume on my headunit (25 of 50) and I max out my subs. (I listen to the radio at 15-20)

I want subs that can handle that normal volume around 15-20 but can go past 25 without blowing up. I want more output!

Dont get me wrong, they get loud, and sound good at normal listning levels, but they dont get as loud as my friends subs. 

I also notice many of the other people at my school have a large xmax on their subs. I can see them move a good bit, mine dont seem to move near as much.

when you said mustang vert you mean convertible?

how did you set the gains? 

can fit larger enclosure/ larger subs? 

i very much doubt that you'll make any gains with new equipment in the same install.  but i have a feeling you could make some improvements with the current woofers  by improving the install. for example, moving the sub enclosure around (typically close to the trunk lid is best). another idea would be to lay the rear seats down if they have a solid back. 

Edited by lithium

im looking to spend no more than $130 per sub unless its completely worth it.

Kicker CompR                 (Rated 600 RMS)

Sundown E                      (Rated 400 RMS)

Pioneer TS-W2502D4     (Rated 800 RMS)

Alpine SWS                     (Rated 500 RMS)

Those are my top options as of right now. If its not worth the upgrade from CVRs then I will accpet my fate, but if I can get some more output than what I have, that would be great!

I am mostly looking for a sub that can take more power, because mine dont take as much as i would like.

there rated for 400rms, recomendeds I give them 300 in a decent ported enclosure, and mine is a bit on the smaller side for them. 

none of those will increase output significantly. even doubling power would barely be noticeable 

increasing the enclosure volume could improve low end response but a slight increase in power (100 watts) won't be noticeable. 

Edited by lithium

Cant make the install any better.its been moved around to the best point, seats don't fold, and gains are set for good listning music.

I'm not looking for more power from an amp, I'm keeping that, its just overpowering my subs and I can't turn it up half way without the subs bottoming out.

I'm looking for subs that can handle the power I already have

If I were in your shoes....

I would think about getting rid of your current sub boxes + subs

and go with a single strong sub in a new 2cubic ft. box

If you can fit a Sundown SA-12" ported then that would be sweet imo

Take that $260 - $200 for the sub, spend the rest on box building materials!  woohoo

I can't, you have no idea about my trunk, trust me, this is the best I can do with the boxes. I'm not doing that again anyway, I'm just looking subs that can take more of a pounding than CVRs

None of the options are really going to give you "more" than what you currently have.

So even if I get a sub that can take more power I still won't be able to turn it up past what I can now?

I have to much power for subs right now.

Cant make the install any better.its been moved around to the best point, seats don't fold, and gains are set for good listning music.

I'm not looking for more power from an amp, I'm keeping that, its just overpowering my subs and I can't turn it up half way without the subs bottoming out.

I'm looking for subs that can handle the power I already have

If you didn't have your gains set well into clipping the subs you have COULD take the power you have.

A with gain setting if you are unwilling or unable to upgrade your install. Turn gain on amp down, set volume to whatever volume level you want to be able to turn it up to, set gain at new more impressive volume level, call it a day...If your friends still aren't impressed get an ssa sub ;)

The gains are set for normal listening levels. I was hopingng I could get a sub that could get louder than mine now. There signal isn't even clipping, they just bottom out

The gains are set for normal listening levels. I was hopingng I could get a sub that could get louder than mine now. There signal isn't even clipping, they just bottom out

SSF problem then.

Those subs can handle that amp IF it is setup right.

The RMS rating of the sub has absolutely nothing to do with how loud it will get.  It the absolute last specification you should ever look at.

As many of us tried to explain in your threads on this before, given the limitations you have on your installation you're simply NOT going to get any real noticeable improvement by just changing the subs.  The limitations that are causing sub-par performance with your current subs will cause the same issue with new ones.  We feel your pain, believe me we do, but there's no magic sub that's just going to instantly make the problems with the limitations you have become null and void.  

I've personally been through the same thing with a friend when we were just out of high school.  Had a pair of 12" Kicker Competition subs behind his seat in truck boxes and didn't like the lack of performance compared to how they performed when he had them in a wedge shaped box in the car he sold for the truck.  He got suckered into buying a pair of Alumapro subs by a salesman at a local shop who claimed they would be a major improvement.  Boy was he ever pissed off when they didn't even get as loud as the Kickers, sounded better yes, but not even as loud.

You've got to come to terms with the fact that your install limitations are going to cause issue with the performance no matter what sub you're using.  Without a larger enclosure, different tuning, more port area, etc. you're not going to see any sizeable improvement.

Okay, so I'm stuck with them then. Ok.

Im not changing my setup anymore, thanks for the help tho

You can easily improve your setup, just happens to be that a driver change isn't first on the list.

Ok, I get what your saying. Thanks. Of I had more room in my trunk I would love to improve it, but right now the drivers are all I can change. Its come a long way since my first setup in that car.

Is there a driver that will get louder than the CVR in my case?

Ok, I get what your saying. Thanks. Of I had more room in my trunk I would love to improve it, but right now the drivers are all I can change. Its come a long way since my first setup in that car.

Is there a driver that will get louder than the CVR in my case?

You can easily improve your setup, just happens to be that a driver change isn't first on the list.

Again, driver change is NOT the first thing to do. Be a waste of money if that is all you do.

Okay, that's what I was looking for. Thanks

Give the dimensions of the bigger box you can fit in the trunk. And we will see what you can do, even with those same subs.

Little changes in enclosures can make big changes in sound and output.

Like it has been said, your current subs should handle that power easily. Something must be wrong in your settings ssf, gain, LPF. Where and how are they set all ?

With the max dim you could find a box designer  here who will help you right.