Dangercdv

Best 10s for me?

If you guys can design a 12 ported box that works I guess I can try, but it would have to outperform my two 10s. If you think it can work then Il give it a shot

personally i've dont like running a lpf so high. start at about 80 hz and go up and down until you find the best setting. if you've already done this and 150 is best for you then thats perfectly fine. just want to confirm that you're not arbitrarily selecting settings.

Edited by lithium

NO SHIT. Your problem is you haven't a clue what you are doing and are arguing with someone that has designed and built thousands of enclosures. And have built well over 100 enclosures for mustangs. All bodies both coupe and convertible.

I have not one time told you to build a bigger box. BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT WILL OR NOT FIT IN A CONVERTIBLE MUSTANG. And two of those subs in a proper box ain't gonna fit.

Now if you have enough sense to use someone else's knowledge and experience to your advantage you will get some cardboard and make the largest box that you can put in and remove and ill model a box for you.

Please re-read and do the last paragraph, You're lucky someone has offered to design for u as many people make threads asking for box designs and get no response.  They also sell box designs in the SSA store.

We really need your max dimensions.....

I got you, I understand. I'm good myself at designing boxes myself but Iv been stuck on two 10s and you see where that got me. Il try to measure max deminsions when I can. My trunk space isn't as much of a problem, its the opening to the trunk...

Il see what I can measure

Making a cardboard Mach up is a great way to find out exactly what can and can't fit through the opening.

Alright, il get some measurements done sometime this weekend. Thanks for the help tho.
Would it be better to design and build two boxes to put my tens into, or one big box for a 12?

Because of trunk opening being smaller than trunk space, wouldnt it be better to design 2 good 10 boxes? to get the most out of my trunk space?

all of that will become clear once you get some accurate measurements via the method explained above. mock up both a the largest single enlcosure that will fit and the largest pair of enclosure that fit.

i could image several scenarios where either option could win out. in general it should be obvious that single enclosure will have more internal volume then two separate enclosures that occupy the same space in the vehicle.

Edited by lithium

dedhorse.gif

*mock

He was right the first time.  ;)  Have you ever seen how fast Alton works?  He flies right through builds. ;)

Alrighty then. I can't take a picture right now but these are my amp settings.

My lpf is around 150 Hz.

My bass boost is at 0.

My gain is right at the halfway mark.

150hz??  Yuk.  I guess to each his own, but I have never run a LPF that high.  I can't stand the sound.  Sounds like someone tapping on the woofers instead of SUB bass.  Again, that's just me.  I wish you good luck in whatever route you decide to head.

I would say a healthy percentage of people set Low Pass at 80 Hz and play with it. 150 is high.

*mock

He was right the first time.  ;)  Have you ever seen how fast Alton works?  He flies right through builds. ;)

LOL!! Sure. That's why I still have the 10" XCON (and PR's), 15" DCON, and 15" ICON sitting in their shipping boxes unused. :P

One bit of good news, I did finally start assembly on the box for the Jimmy (using the $90 Baltic Birch) again. I may ACTUALLY get it done and installed before the end of the year this year. LOL

*mock

He was right the first time.  wink.png  Have you ever seen how fast Alton works?  He flies right through builds. wink.png

LOL!! Sure. That's why I still have the 10" XCON (and PR's), 15" DCON, and 15" ICON sitting in their shipping boxes unused. tongue.png

One bit of good news, I did finally start assembly on the box for the Jimmy (using the $90 Baltic Birch) again. I may ACTUALLY get it done and installed before the end of the year this year. LOL

Your to busy helping other people to work on your own stuff! ;)

Im looking forward to seeing you do some new builds yourself one of these days.

*mock

He was right the first time.  wink.png  Have you ever seen how fast Alton works?  He flies right through builds. wink.png

LOL!! Sure. That's why I still have the 10" XCON (and PR's), 15" DCON, and 15" ICON sitting in their shipping boxes unused. tongue.png

$90 Baltic Birch?  You going to stain it?  If not, why it over MDF?  Just curious.

*mock

LOL!! Sure. That's why I still have the 10" XCON (and PR's), 15" DCON, and 15" ICON sitting in their shipping boxes unused. :P

$90 Baltic Birch?  You going to stain it?  If not, why it over MDF?  Just curious.

Honestly, just because I've never used it before. I have read that it's easier to cut and work with along with being a bit lighter. Considering my plans to use plexi and that I'm making it easy to remove for when I need to haul stuff it seemed fitting.

lol, yeah i think im going to lower mine to around 100hz... anyway, il try to get to measuring as soon as I can.
I know the smallest part of the trunk entrance is 16 inches wide, and from there to the top of the opening is about 14 inches.

Alrighty then. I can't take a picture right now but these are my amp settings.

My lpf is around 150 Hz.

My bass boost is at 0.

My gain is right at the halfway mark.

150hz??  Yuk.  I guess to each his own, but I have never run a LPF that high.  I can't stand the sound.  Sounds like someone tapping on the woofers instead of SUB bass.  Again, that's just me.  I wish you good luck in whatever route you decide to head.

If you don't care about stage and have crappy midbass up front that is by far the easiest way to achieve a full freq response. Subs make rather efficient midbasses, only bummer is they are usually out back.

^thats the case for me :/ 
My midbass is aftermarket Kicker 5 1/4 speakers. (stock size) and they dont exactly kick very hard.
I was thinking about replacing them with tweeters, and placing a single 8 inch midbass behind my seats.
(in the convertible 99-04 mustang, behind the seats is bare metal where the MACH460 amps are for the sound system and convertible roof motor lay. 

Its a very ugly place, but nobody would ever have to see it.

I was thinking about replacing them with tweeters, and placing a single 8 inch midbass behind my seats.

Very bad idea.

You'd be better off using the subs to cover the midbass than spending the time and money on an additional midbass driver that is installed in an equally piss poor location.

haha yeah, thought so, thats why im waiting till i get a new car.
About the trunk opening tho, im not sure about depth, but the tallest a box could be is 14inches, and widest it could be is 16 inches. and thats pushing it

grab some cardboard and mock it up, very important step for a situation like this

im working on it, looks like the biggest it can be is about 15 inches wide, 13 inches tall, and around 18 or so inches deep. 

But around 20 inches or so deep into my trunk, the height is a max of 8 inches.

Is that big enough to get an actual 10 inch box with port room

That is ~2 cubic foot. So yes it is big enough for one ten ported