Cameron Bruce

Need help with box design for fi bl 10"

I have a 95 Acura integra 4dr and need help designing a box for my fi bl 10.

Dude, fellow Hoosier AND Fi user?!? Awesome!

:WELCOME: to the forum!

Give us some max dimensions, preferred tuning, and other such information and we'll be glad to help you out.

Well I hear that a lot of people tend to like boxes tuned to 32 hz with the fi's and space makes bass so the bigger the enclosure the better right?

I wouldn't say the bigger the better its more so staying within certain specs of what makes the sub requires to stay optimal, as Alton said, in order to helpu with a design we need ur "max" specs n what u wanna tune to, depending on ur mmusic u listen to will determine what u wanna tune to, if ur going for SPL u would wanna tune higher, rap/decaf right around 31-34 is pretty decent, I have 2 12 bls my first box was tuned pretty high about 39hz built a new box tuned to 32 n there is a very big difference on the lows!

See I'm very torn cuz I love spl but I want really good lows too and could u explain what you mean by " max specs"? Do you mean for the sub or what I have room for or what. Iv never built a tuned box every time iv built one its just kinda been thrown together.

the dimensions of the space you can fix the enclosure into  and still pass through the trunk opening

Edited by lithium

the dimensions of the space you can fix the enclosure into and still pass through the trunk opening

As he said, we need to know how big of a box will fit through ur trunk opening or if ur backseats tilt down, the more space u have to work with the better off ull be as far as getting a box tuned the way u want, if u like SPL but love the lows id try n run a little higher depending how much u like the lows for instance 34-36, as I said my previous box was tuned high 30s possibly even low 40's granted it was loud as f*** but couldn't get anywhere near the lows like I wanted I am very satisfied being tuned at 32hz, if u listen to any slowed/bass enhanced or decaf I recommend tunning around lower 30s for optimal output, just be sure to set ur ssf properly cause it could cause alot of damage being tuned lower then it should be everyone recommends 3hz difference 32hz set ssf to 29hz

^^^ Exactly. You need to measure the maximum height, width and depth that you can fit through your trunk opening and post them up here. I'd be happy to design you an enclosure for your sub, complete with a 3d drawing and cut sheets to guide you through the build process. Without those measurements nothing can be designed or drawn up because it may not fit.

Height 15

Width 27

Depth 29

That's going through where the seat lays down

That's with a little bit of play room with each measurment

If you're sure those dimensions are good you've got PLENTY of room for that single 10 and more than adequate port area too.  I'll get a preliminary design done and posted up to see what you think.

Do you have a preference on orientation?  Sub up port back, sub and port forward/rear, sub back port side?  With a trunk car I personally prefer to seal the sub and enclosure to the cabin, but I need to know what you're looking to do with your build.

Initially I have designed a 1.5cuft NET enclosure tuned to 32hz with ~47sqin of port area (13.5" x 3.5") at 15" H x 27" W x 23" D with a double front baffle for flush mounting. I think it would make a very solid enclosure to go with, lots of loud deep bass!

cbruce1994-1_zps948b0309.jpg~original

cbruce1994-2_zps39d40042.jpg~original

cbruce1994-3_zpsed922c62.jpg~original

cbruce1994-4_zpsbd6c8439.jpg~original

I really like that box design!

How thick of wood would that be?

All based on 3/4" material. Be it MDF or Bsltic Birch ply or whatever material you decide to build it with all the measurements and dimensions are based on 3/4" thickness.

Alright thank you very much :) can't wait to make this design come to life! Lol

Alright thank you very much :) can't wait to make this design come to life! Lol

Here, we'll try this out for size.  Specs are exactly as mentioned before: 1.5cuft NET volume tuned to 32hz with ~47sqin of port area and a double baffle front.  

Here's the first few drawings I posted before.

These show the general layout.

cbruce1994-1_zps948b0309.jpg~original

cbruce1994-2_zps39d40042.jpg~original

These show the general measurements for each of the panels.

cbruce1994-3_zpsed922c62.jpg~original

cbruce1994-4_zpsbd6c8439.jpg~original

These show the measurements along with nomenclature that matches the cutsheet to help make sense of where all the panels go.

cbruce1994-panelnomenclature1_zps3db5d14

cbruce1994-panelnomenclature2_zps3b70539

cbruce1994-panelnomenclature3_zpscded942

I took some artistic liberty and put some color on the enclosure for realism.  This picture specifically shows the placement of the "Volume correcting panel".  It's there to maintain the right airspace inside the enclosure by blocking off the small and basically dead area of volume anyway.

cbruce1994-smallpanelamp5thportwallplace

Here's just a few more of the enclosure with a finished look to it.  Basically what it could possibly look like when you're done.

cbruce1994-5_zpsadf0a3a5.jpg~original

cbruce1994-6_zps863e9207.jpg~original

cbruce1994-7_zps527acf79.jpg~original

cbruce1994-8_zps1fb59ce1.jpg~original

Finally, here's the cutsheet.  Just follow through all the lines cutting to the dimensions for each panel.  Obviously two need cut out at the same dimensions for the top and bottom.

cbruce1994-cutsheet_zps607a9c6d.jpg~orig

If there's anything about the enclosure and the design that's not clear, please just ask and I can explain it in better detail.  No farther away than you are from me I sure hope I get to see and hear this bad boy some day!

Could u redesign that exact box to the dimensions of 14.5 H x 26 w x 23 d? Because I cut it a little closer than I thought with the max dimensions. I measured it again today just to check and the measurements were cutting it real close.

Try this on for size.  Enclosure is 1.5cuft NET tuned to 32hz with 42.25sqin of port area measuring 14.5" H x 26" W x 22" D.  A little less port area than before but still gonna do very well I think.

cbruce1994-smallerdims-1_zps04a43b0f.jpg

cbruce1994-smallerdims-2_zpsd0971d15.jpg

cbruce1994-smallerdims-3_zps8f107bd4.jpg

Here's the final drawings and cutsheet.

cbruce1994-smallerdims-panelnomenclature

cbruce1994-smallerdims-Finish-1_zps02084

cbruce1994-smallerdims-Finish-2_zps18d3e

cbruce1994-smallerdims-cutsheet_zpsf6e30

Here you go man, just a little smaller.  Let me know if you need any help with anything on it.

Nice design!

From the 1st box designs.. i dont get the"4th port wall" area.. what the point of having that little box'd out area?

THen i see its changed in your 2nd dwg.. .but as far as the 45degree corner slabs.... ive read that they actually hurt spl numbers when put in corners that have nothing to do with helping the port flow.

Bracing causing an issue with output? Interesting. I would love to read up on that and get a good explanation as to why a 45 degree angle in the corner of the enclosure would have any effect whatsoever on output over any other form of bracing, or for that matter, shape of the enclosure.  Also, if the enclosure isn't being built to chase numbers, is the detrimental effect of the 45's really so much that it would be audible for daily listening?  I would find that very hard to believe.

I'm sure as hell no expert though, that's why I'd love to read up on it.

As for the 4th port wall area, the area that I was referring to was the small space between the 4th port wall and the 2nd port wall. The small 2.25" piece I referred to on the cut sheet as the volume correcting panel was just that. The port had to turn at that point to get the correct port length and with it's close proximity to the port opening that small space would have been useless anyway. I put that 2.25" piece there to get the perfect volume inside the enclosure and block off that small space, that's all it was there for.