Sign in to follow this  
silenkiller

FI SP4 Inverted Motor Noise (wtf)

Okay, so I guess the way the cooling is designed or the motor or something is causing loud air noise around the motor that is very audiable when the thing is invert mounted. There should be some kinda warning about this, as my whole install is based around the idea of an inverted driver. fml. 

bad seal to the box? 

bad seal to the box? 

na its coming right out of the motor, i put my ear up to it to find where it was coming from. this is a real downer, i'll prob have to sell the sp4, the whole point of the install was to be invert mounted. 

bad seal to the box? 

na its coming right out of the motor, i put my ear up to it to find where it was coming from. this is a real downer, i'll prob have to sell the sp4, the whole point of the install was to be invert mounted. 

Where on The motor?

bad seal to the box? 

Where on The motor?

Well I can't say exactly for sure, but it wasn't the sound of coils scraping, it seemed like air noise or something from the coil moving in and out, its probably a normal sound that no one hears when its mounted regularly. Its just really obnoxious inverted and its not going to work for this install. fuck. 

I'll prob free air it a bit tomorrow to make sure its not box related. 

Edited by silenkiller

bad seal to the box? 

Where on The motor?

Well I can't say exactly for sure, but it wasn't the sound of coils scraping, it seemed like air noise or something from the coil moving in and out, its probably a normal sound that no one hears when its mounted regularly. Its just really obnoxious inverted and its not going to work for this install. fuck. 

What is making you not run it regularly in the box?

bad seal to the box? 

Where on The motor?

Its aesthetics, the whole install was for looks. Also the box isn't deep enough now, about an inch shy so I'll have to make a baffle which will also now mess up the carpet.. my god. 

bad seal to the box? 

Where on The motor?

Its aesthetics, the whole install was for looks. Also the box isn't deep enough now, about an inch shy so I'll have to make a baffle which will also now mess up the carpet.. my god. 

Just make a couple mdf rings to bring it out a little. . . If it sounds better in the box that's the way you should go rather than just looks

Well yeah, I mean I'll prob just try and sell it and find subs that have less noise. Blah just wanted the world to see the giant basket on those sp4;s. 

Any sub with vent holes will have noise, regardless.

Where is the sub located in the vehicle?

Where is the sub located in the vehicle?

Where the rear seats you to be, its about 2 feet back from the front seats. So its close to the ears and in the main cabin. 

Well, that is true, but I'd imagine something with less xmax, not as crazy of a motor, i dunno there has to be variables. I listened to an inverted jl w6v2 install before and didn't hear any noise like this. Edited by silenkiller

My ufo BTL's with Zv3 parts were inverted literally behind my head. Never really heard any noise. Unless I was going below tuning and the program music wasn't very audible. 

My ufo BTL's with Zv3 parts were inverted literally behind my head. Never really heard any noise. Unless I was going below tuning and the program music wasn't very audible. 

im going to free air it a bit tomorrow to try and determine exactly what is making the noise more, but i dunno, maybe they were cooled differently? 

Hmmm Ive seen SP4 builds inverted in the exact way your saying, and there was nothing said about noise. Something seems broken/not right to me. Id check it thoroughly before making a decision, might be a defect in your particular sub?

Just my 2 cents, I'm not an expert in these things.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Well I modded the box, ported it out and installed, it sounds normal now, thing slams.. just saying, IMO sp4's are NOT mean't for inversion. 

Well I modded the box, ported it out and installed, it sounds normal now, thing slams.. just saying, IMO sp4's are NOT mean't for inversion. 

Ohhh, the box was sealed? I assumed it was ported, guess that makes a little more sense then.

That is not true.

where  are you located?

Check the dustcap. This seems like the dustcap maybe be loose. The dustcap is fairly rigid so you may need to carefully use a vary small screwdriver to try and pry it up. If it doesnt lift up then dont try pry it with force.

If it is loud as you say it is, something is wrong with the sub.

video?

My zcon's and xcons and BL 's ALL did have noise coming from the side Vents . . . when played inverted

Direct quote from Nick @ Fi - 

"The cooling is definitely going to make noise, that's just a byproduct of it working properly." 

So yeah, the subs fine, but I assure you, if you mount this thing inverted you won't like it. So just a warning to others who might consider this - I think the way Fi designs their cooling makes their subs not so good for inverted. 

Sign in to follow this