Okay I'm sorry in advance if this topic has been posted about before in this forum but to my credit i did look.

I just recieved my sa-12 (dual 4 ohm) from ssa yesterday smile.png:)  and i have it on a jx 1000/1 wired to 2 ohms in a ported box thats too small for it (sorry but thats how it is) it sounds good though. I try to avoid hammering on it for too long but  I do turn it up to the full 1000 watts  for a few seconds at a time.     

I just want to break it in correctly to avoid blowing it or damaging it because i do exceed the rated power sometimes.

How important is "breaking in" a subwoofer in is and if it is important, what is the correct procedure to break it in?

Also what does "breaking in" a sub do that is so important?   

Edited by Trent Hari

Just play it. If you blow it then it is getting too much power and has nothing to do with "break in". Be careful running that much power.

The best way to break in a sub woofer is to simply play music on it. If you try by other methods, open air for x amount of time, or, x amount of time on x Frequency, it only breaks in at that application. Playing music, you will break in across the sub woofers playing frequency. Which is the best way to do so.

In my experience subwoofers can get lower and louder over a little time but wont mess up or anything bumping hard when its brand new

Alright sounds good!  Thanks for all your help :) That was a very fast response. I noticed that subs do get louder over time but I blew a 5th gen Alpine R on 1000 watts by playing a 20hz to 200 hz sine wave because the sub was making a loud clapping sound on music (bottoming out i guess) and i was trying to diagnose it sigh.gif   I just didnt want to repeat that mistake.

unload much?

There a ssf on the amp?

The ONLY time you should break something in is if you need to measure the T/S parameters for modeling as they will change after the suspension loosens up.

The ONLY time you should break something in is if you need to measure the T/S parameters for modeling as they will change after the suspension loosens up.

That's an awesome way to blow a new subwoofer. 

Sundown even says do not play your new sub at rated power until the break in.

Wow I have been in the hobby since 87 and played every sub I ever owned the same way.  If you blow a sub it is your own fault and not because it was not broken in.

The ONLY way to "break in" a driver is to exercise the suspension.  Playing it at a low volume for some arbitrary period of time is completely counterproductive to that goal. 

Break-in for the normal everyday user is completely unnecessary.  Plug it in and play it like you normally would.  It will break in with regular, normal use.  The only time a break in "needs" to be done is as M5 pointed out, to measure accurate T/S, or simply to verify the driver is functioning properly prior to use (no scrapping, rubbing, etc). 

IF you really wanted to break in the driver, you need to actually USE it.  Play it at or near Xmax in free-air to exercise the suspension. 

I ran 3k to a zcon 15 a couple days after it was reconed and didn't seem to do anything...... it forsure did get a lot lower after a few days though

That's not necessary.

Yes the amps specs say that it has a freq response of 20+ hz if someone could  look at the specs for the JL audio JX 1000/1 and tell me if it needs a subsonic filter for it. I looked at the specs but i can't tell if i need a SSF i'm not an expert in this stuff (Hey at least i admit it). If someone can post a link for an inline RCA Subsonic filter for an appropriate frequency for a SA-12 if it needs it I would be grateful (I looked but i couldnt find one that i thought was right) 

from what i see it does not. :(

something  that you need. and from what i read  most likly the reason for your type Rs death.

from what i see it does not. sad.png

something  that you need. and from what i read  most likly the reason for your type Rs death.

I think that they are fixed at ~28hz like the RF amps, I could be wrong though.

Never mind, from the JL site "Infrasonic Filter: none"

i was wondering the same thing, but i read  all the specs on the JL website and i didnt see  anything like that. maybe i missed it

i was wondering the same thing, but i read  all the specs on the JL website and i didnt see  anything like that. maybe i missed it

Look up one post, I posted right before you did. No ssf you were right.

That sucks for such an expensive amp.

thats what i was thinking,. you really gotta watch your self or your gonna be going thru subs .

you should get an external cross over with a sub sonic on it, or a pair of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harrison-Lab-F-Mod-FMOD-30hz-Subsonic-Rumble-Filter-XOs-/290506420336?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item43a3883070

thanx.gif I just bought the 30 hz filters. I do hear distortion sometimes and im sure it will clear up the problems im having.  I hear a light knocking sometimes at higher volumes but the cone isnt moving any where near xmech (maybe 1-1.5 in)  I hope its not bottoming out. sometimes it has way more travel but doesnt make that noise so im not sure what the deal is.  Some professional insight might help

Ha, rofl. Not at all. Unlike yourself I am not an idiot. BTW, it is exactly what we do during prototype testing at manufacturers so perhaps you want to tell them all it is wrong too.